Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

light strikes with M&P Pro - what do I try next?

tk2

Hi, I'm getting some light strikes with my M&P Pro. I'm using the stock recoil and striker spring. I did have Dan Burwell do a trigger job on it, but I didn't think that would have any affect on light strikes.

This was with factory Winchester ammo. I did try a Speed Shooters extra power striker spring, but that did not seem to help.

Any recommendations about what I should try?

I had the same problem for a little bit. My Burwell M&P is about 3 years old. I switched to the newer Gen 5 striker and that made my light strikes go away.

G&R Tactical sells new striker assemblies but others have gotten them direct from S&W.

Tom

Edited by tjsahara99

Thanks for the replies. I will try one of the newer strikers and also make sure I clean the striker channel more often.

I appreciate the information.

Tim

Take a look at the safety plunger. I've run into plungers that have a dome shape, the trigger bar doesn't hit it in the center but off to the side. If the plunger is not pressed up enough your firing pin could be hitting it, slowing down enough for occasional light strikes. The Apex plunger is an example of "good". Not a dome shape, but rounded corners. Add the lighter spring and it disengages easier too.

If you have an old style striker, and swap to the Gen 5 striker it may require another trigger job.

Take a look at the safety plunger. I've run into plungers that have a dome shape, the trigger bar doesn't hit it in the center but off to the side. If the plunger is not pressed up enough your firing pin could be hitting it, slowing down enough for occasional light strikes. The Apex plunger is an example of "good". Not a dome shape, but rounded corners. Add the lighter spring and it disengages easier too.

If you have an old style striker, and swap to the Gen 5 striker it may require another trigger job.

+1

Thanks for the help. Smith & Wesson is sending me a gen 5 striker, but sounds like I should try an Apex plunger and a light plunger spring first. I would hate to have to sent the gun out for a trigger job again.

Would polishing the face of the new striker where it contacts the sear be enough, or does Dan change the angle? I do my own trigger jobs on my 2011's, but not sure about the M&P's.