Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primer question - large pistol vs. large rifle

hi,

i have two different kinds of primers.

1. CCI Large Pistol, used for my reloading activities for .45 acp.

2. CCI BR-2 (the large rifle benchrest type), from the heirship of my father.

now my question:

the dimension of a LP primer and the BR-2 primers is identically.

i measured both with a micrometer caliper.

can i use the BR-2 type for reloading my .45 acp and what will happen if i do?

Some folks swear by using rifle primers (or magnum pistol primers) in pistol cartridges. Some folks think it gives more complete burn and/or consistent burn for the powder charge. I've personally never done it, so I'm eager to see what you get for answers here.

brian,

thats the mystery...not only the diameter is the same as the large pistol primers, they have both the same height too.

some says the thickness of the wall is different. the large rifle should be thicker, so it could be happen that the firing system hasn't enough power to ignite the primer...

maybe? truth? or only rumours?

Don't have any experience using LR instead of LP but I have used SR instead of SP with standard loads without any problem. Hope someone with experience will chime in.

Richard

PS: You might try contacting CCI.

Edited by chirpy

According to something I just read on another site (not sure where it was I was following multiple links) the rifle primers should be 5-8 thousandths taller.

Brian

It's hard to measure a primer height as they compress when seated. I think you will find they are hard to seat and are in fact, .005 -.008 proud beyond a large pistol primer in 45 ACP brass. Don't ask me how I know this... :blink:

You is supposed to measure before seatin.....

The LR primers will be slightly taller and will be harder. If you have no need for LR primers and you have a bunch, just ask around your fellow shooters. Somebody will use LR and you can work out a trade.

hi,

i have two different kinds of primers.

1. CCI Large Pistol, used for my reloading activities for .45 acp.

2. CCI BR-2 (the large rifle benchrest type), from the heirship of my father.

now my question:

the dimension of a LP primer and the BR-2 primers is identically.

i measured both with a micrometer caliper.

can i use the BR-2 type for reloading my .45 acp and what will happen if i do?

The diameter of large pistol and large rifle primers is identical. However the large rifle primer is taller than the large pistol primer and will not interchange.

With a good press it is very possible to deep seat a primer by 5-8 thou. But if you are planning on using BR-2 primers on a regular basis I would reconsider that. I worked in the primer asseembly department of CCI for the last 3 and a half years and can tell you that the only real differences between a 200 primer and a BR-2 is the "BR" stamped on the primer, the primer charges are held to a LITTLE tighter tolerences and the huge price difference. I would say that unless you are shooting 1000+ yards the price difference is no where near worth it.