Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S_I For IDPA ESP

MikeyG23

I've been shooting Glocks in IDPA since day 1 and have come to the conclusion that I want to take the step up to ESP and go with a widebody 1911 in 9mm. I've looked at the SVI Burkett Cross Competitor and the STI Eagle and like both, price favors the STI but I'm not ruling out the SVI just yet.

Are there any tips, tricks, ideas, or options that I need to consider before I start ordering ?

Sounds like you are on the right track! Make sure the chamber is freebored so you can load ammo to 1.200 or so.

I run a Para P16.40 in ESP, bought from Dawson Precision. Significantly less expensive than the S_I's.

Cross competitor is pretty sweet. I probably would have bought one of them if I had that kind of money.

I have a para 16-40 for IDPA, I love this gun.

The problem is I married it!

All the money sunk into into it to get how it is now, well it would have cost less for the S-I

If I had to do it again I would go with the the S-I

Well there is always next time.

Hey Iron Mike,

If you can swing the SVI Cross Comp, I would do it. I bought one last year and have absolutely no regrets. The transition from a glock to a SVI takes a little time because of the speed of the gun and the grip safety. You got a look at mine at the regionals a couple of weeks ago. I was the one you were laughing at after the stage when I had to wait about 2 hours for the pop up target to appear after shooting the mover. Get a SVI and dont look back. you can email me if you have any questions about getting one.

Dave

9mm on the S_I platform is great..I had one built on a STI frame and slide with an EGW match barrel and bushing...what a fun gun...

a downloaded 40 would give you lots a flexibilty for the varying divsions in the sports..

but the 9mm is a really fun gun to shoot..I would recommend it..

I have both STI and SV mags set up for this gun..in the STI mags..I am using the new 9mm follower and spacers..in the SV mags I am using factory followers..MattB recommends using 140 mag springs to make the follower is gtting up and engaging the slidestop.

anyway..build it, order it..whatever it takes..very fun gun..

I have both STI and SV mags set up for this gun..in the STI mags..I am using the new 9mm follower and spacers..in the SV mags I am using factory followers..MattB recommends using 140 mag springs to make the follower is gtting up and engaging the slidestop.

eerw,

Where did you buy the spacers for your STI mags? I've been looking online but couldn't find one...

bbncu

Stryfox, I was told by a person at IDPA HQ that some of the modifications and perhaps some of the guns might not be legal when the new LGB comes out. IDPA really does not want their game to become an equipment race like IPSC did. I think the SVI/STI guns may be a little too gamey for them.

Remember IDPA is about what you would carry in the real world. I don't think too many people carry one of the SVI guns in the real world.

I have been waiting on one of the BUL M5s to become available in .40. Same type of gun as the STI/SVI, but a 1/3 of the cost. I think I am going to wait until the new rule book comes out.

That will sure upset me if they make that rule change. I have alot of money invested in my gun and gear to make a change now. How many people carry one of Wilson's $1800 guns on a daily basis. I bet his guns will still be allowed for competition. I know alot of people that have money tied up in SVI's. Maybe the BOD is tired of seeing them win so much that they consider them gamey. Unless they follow me around every day to see what I carry, how is someone going to tell me what I carry on a daily basis. Maybe I do carry my Cross comp every day. If this comes to pass it is a crock of B.S. in my opinion.

IDPA really does not want their game to become an equipment race like IPSC did. I think the SVI/STI guns may be a little too gamey for them.

Remember IDPA is about what you would carry in the real world. I don't think too many people carry one of the SVI guns in the real world.

Please don't even go there. Is your GLock 34 with magwell, hi-vis and trigger work, cut down kydex and psycho vest more "real world" than carrying a bushing barreled STI compact in an IWB like I DO EVERY DAY???

And not too many people carry a lot of the other gamey guns you only see at IDPA matches, but they are legal. I am not for the L10 style protection rules like USPSA has, but I am absolutely not for the oddball hodge podge of what's "tactically correct" and there for ALLOWED to be used in a supposed daily carry sport.

Glock 34 is only one, how about the .40 S&W revolvers from the S&W PC, and how about the PS 5906?

how many bargain HK P-7s have you picked up lately? USP Tacticals or Experts?

How about if you say it's "tactical" :ph34r: or that Hackathorn carries the same thing, or that Uncle Bill makes parts for it. Would that get it apporved??

Come off it IDPA is a game, with a set of rules that has little or nothing to do with "tactical" or "daily carry". They went off half cocked with the rules, and have been playing catch up ever since.

If anything, IDPA is less about shooting and more about rules and equipment than IPSC. IPSC the rules are stable and black and white. And for all the old criticism about IPSC I see more equipment junkies in IDPA. IDPA's a competition, albeit not a very objective one, and true carry guns are seldom competitive.

Sorry, rant mode off. :blink:

I agree with you 100% dirtypool. I just started shooting IDPA last year and I am having a good time with it. I now have a SVI limited gun and plan on shooting IPSC this year. I think shooting USPSA will make me a better IDPA shooter. All of the top shooters I watched at the Nationals last year are IPSC shooters like Matt B, David S, and TGO. Almost every match I go to, I see shooters taking off their glock 19's and strapping on glock 34's. I received comments from some Tactical Tom shooter when I called IDPA a game. My only response was, if it isnt a game then why do we keep score. If they take my gun out of the list I dont know what I will shoot.

Guess I'll wait until the new LGB before I make up my mind. All this "tactical" BS gets my dander up. If you keep score it's a game - period. IDPA resembles a gun fight about as much as a NASCAR race resembles driving on I-20.....Tactical in my mind denotes offensive, as opposed to, defensive, actions which would be in direct conflict with the "defensive" definition of IDPA. Anyway I don't think I'll be sinking the kind of money I'm talking about into a new gun with even the possibility that Bill and company will decide that it's not "tactical" enough. Glock On !!!!!

Sgt. Glock wrote "How many people carry one of Wilson's $1800 guns on a daily basis. I bet his (Bill Wilson's) guns will still be allowed for competition. I know alot of people that have money tied up in SVI's. Maybe the BOD is tired of seeing them win so much that they consider them gamey. Unless they follow me around every day to see what I carry, how is someone going to tell me what I carry on a daily basis. Maybe I do carry my Cross comp every day. If this comes to pass it is a crock of B.S. in my opinion."

Come to think of it, if you look around on 1911forum.com then many so-called "experts" think the Brown custom 1911s are the "ultimate" carry guns; last I checked the price of admission on a Brown Kobra was over $2300. Suitable for IDPA? Of course. I don't think the money argument holds up. As to STI guns for carry/real world use? I have personaly seen the 2nd place finisher at the IDPA Nationals, Phil Strader, carry an STI wide-body bushing gun in his store, Shooters Paradise. I think when he is on duty, it has to be an issue Glock .40, but once he punches out from his police day job, he straps on an STI (one that costs a lot less than a Wilson or Brown). If this guy is not an expert, then who is?

I carry my Benny Hill .38 Super STI quite a bit.

If the game of IDPA is truly a "real world" type event, do those who are not allowed by law to carry (in states with no CCW) still get to shoot? :o And why have classifications according to gun type---make it a "run what you carry" match instead. The turn out would be substantially lower....

Btw, I have shot IDPA and enjoyed it for what it was---another chance to shoot with friends.

I don't know if this will come to pass or not so I am not that stressed by it. The S I's have been legal since the inception of the sport. How are they going to justify their removal? It is not significantly bigger than anything else, obviously, since it fits in what they consider a carry gun box. The Burkett Cross-Comp fits the box better than most of the people I see with custom 1911's or Glocks! It also retails for less than most of the custom 1911's on the market.

I am going to wait for the new rule book b4 I start complaining about it. Most likely if it is banned I will relook my position on competiting in IDPA.

When Bill Wilson checked my SVI at the Nationals the box was about 1mm from closing. I had been checked the day before in a different box with no problems. Mr. Wilson threatened to DQ me. I told him the gun passed with no problems the day before. I also asked him if a wood box was not effected by getting wet, dry, humidity or heat. He then told me if I bring my gun back next year if will not make the cut. I guess if they remove my Cross Comp from the list, can get a single stack 9mm SV with some gamer 9 round mags.

Matt Burkett wrote:

"The S I's have been legal since the inception of the sport. How are they going to justify their removal?"

The same way they justified the removal of the 5" S&W 625, they declare that it isn't "practical" for everyday carry and ban it. It's pure BS and purely subjective but then IDPA never has never been about anything other than Bill Wilson's view of the world. Having said all that I enjoy shooting it and will continue for the foreseeable future but as long as the issue of whether or not the S_I's will be allowed is hanging I won't be spending money on one.