Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro's & Cons of 160gr 9mm bullet

Severian

I've been loading and shooting 147gr lead and plated bullets for my Glock 34 and M&P pro. I've been quite happy with the results for IDPA. I'm getting a new 9mm 1911 next week. My question is about 160gr 9mm bullets. Is there any advantage to these heavier bullets? Do you get less recoil at minimum power factor? Do they work better in some guns?

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

I shoot the bayou bullets in 160 grains with my cz shadow. I can tell very little difference in the 160 and the 147's. The 160's are right on the verge of pressure problems due to the fact that I have to seat them pretty short in my cz. Shooting them out of a 1911 you should have no issues with the 160's loaded a little longer. I will probably go to 147 bayou bullets after I am done with the box of 160's.

Alot of 9mm's wont stabalize 147's unless you get the velocity up there, which is defeating the hole purpose of using them for lighter recoiling ammo. 125-130 pf ammo is pretty light no matter what bullet you use. Anything over 130 gr will allow you to make pf while staying subsonic, Heavier than that and you are just spending more money on more lead.

Alot of 9mm's wont stabalize 147's unless you get the velocity up there, which is defeating the hole purpose of using them for lighter recoiling ammo. 125-130 pf ammo is pretty light no matter what bullet you use. Anything over 130 gr will allow you to make pf while staying subsonic, Heavier than that and you are just spending more money on more lead.

My 9mm 1911 springfield would tumble 147 all day long. I personally don't see the benefit of the bigger 9mm bullets. I mean its a 9 lol. If you want something that soft get a .40 and load 165 or 180s to minor.

My 9mm 1911 springfield would tumble 147 all day long. I personally don't see the benefit of the bigger 9mm bullets. I mean its a 9 lol. If you want something that soft get a .40 and load 165 or 180s to minor.

Interesting. I'll have to see if my new STI 9mm tumbles the 147s. My Glock and M&P love this weight. They shoot straight with very manageable recoil at minor pf. Thanks!

Hello: I like the 121 Montana Golds in all my 9mm pistols except for open. They shoot very flat and are quick to get back on target. I have tried them in my Glock 34/17/19, Springfield XD tactical, CZ shadow and a frineds S&W M&P. They just seem to work well in all of those for me. I also like them in my 2011 commander I built for IDPA and the Spartan 9mm. I know some guys that really like the 160 grain bullets so you may want to try them. Thanks, Eric