Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to load up some spicy 9mm.

DocMedic

I want to prep some side ammo for those MGM Ironman double spinners, in June. Right now I shoot 124g MC with 4.1g of TC. 133-135pf, I bought 147g XTP bullets from Hornady, and was wondering how many grains TC I can safely load into a 9mm case to get a bit more extra oompf to spin those targets. my OAL with the MG's is 1.135 shooting out of a STI tactical 9mm. Bull Barrel.

Edited by DocMedic

Never heard of TC, Your gun should be able to handle longer loaded ammo than that. Most of the major pf load data is with lighter bullets, but I'd guess youd want a slower burrning powder to get max velocity, Check the published data for powders like unique, Power pistol, maybe hs6, what's safe in my gun may not be in yours, if you wanna push the envelope you really need a chrono and some good references.

Ive been 3.6-3.8 with a 147xtp, as was said.. it was gnarly.. but accurate as :devil: at 50 yds.

Started to flatten federal small pistol pretty good. I'd suggest some powerpistol or hs6 if you want much more power.

For TG I've gone as high as 6.0 grains with 115's. Primers were very flattened. I'd agree that TG isn't the best powder for this application.

Try Silhouette. 6.2 gr, 147 TC Precision Delta, FSP, COAL 1.15 and 1x fired Win Cases gave me 178 PF out of a 6" and 172 PF out of a 5". Both Schuemann.

These are both major nine loads which of course are way above factory max. Load with caution.

Edited by Religious Shooter

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH !!!

I Use 147 Gr RNFP Rainier Plated for Steel Challenge.

TiteGroup 3.5 Gr.

OAL - 1.130

Pistol - Glock G17L-6"inch Tricked limited.

For $125 you can purchase a descent Chrono, catch em on sale. I recommend all who re-load to own and learn how to use same.

Also a EGW or Wilson or Dillon Cartridge checker or the pistol barrel is a handy lil tool too.

Do your own research and quality control, use eye protection and shooting gloves when you test.

Dumb Sheit will bite you with big teeth.

Be SAFE have FUN,

Perry

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH !!!

...For $125 you can purchase a descent Chrono, catch em on sale. I recommend all who re-load to own and learn how to use same...

...Do your own research and quality control, use eye protection and shooting gloves when you test...

It isn't so much "Chronoing" my loads I'm concerned about. Its more that I don't have the ability to know if I'm over pressuring my loads, Checking primers to see if they flatten or cases separating in my opinion seems to be a very bad way in doing so, after all no one wants to blow up their 3k guns :mellow: I figure I'd ask here to get a bit of general knowledge on the subject, which worked wonders, because I would had used about 4.0+ grains of TG with 147 bullets, now I know better :devil:

Perrysho - I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about this type of target:

I've had bunny fart 130-135PF, 147gr IDPA loads not want to drop large poppers.

That be the evil spinner. obiviously the less shots it takes to spin it the more time you save, even if it is only one extra shot I save.

Mr. Blind Bat.

The Word SPICY 9MM pulled my trigger. That he's gonna play around with hot, hot re-loads.

This months USPSA Front Sight Mag/Rag had an ad for MGM target systems, I am aware they make several different types of steel targets.

Maybe I didn't do a good job telling Mr.DocMedic to be careful, do his own research & testing. There's a lot of people who post in gun forums, one must be careful and use caution, for information used.

Glass eyes look good but poor for sight. Hard to shoot a pistol with no trigger finger.

And/Or Maybe I should have kept out of this thread. I don't want anyone hurt.

Be SAFE,

Perry

Doc, like perry said, your cases and your velocity is the only way of knowing what your gun is doing with a particular load.

Asking here and getting a good idea of where to START is a good idea, but every gun is different. Running low / slow book loads is generally safe without a chrono and just checking your cases for pressure signs -- but if you want to crank up the pressure, you're far better off doing something like a ladder test (load 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, etc) with a slower powder and checking your actual velocity and pressure signs as you go.

For this particular concept, I'd either load a 147 as long as I'd get in the mag and feed reliably, or even try my 162gr cast loads, with PowerPistol, start with mid-range book levels (or all the way down to book minimums to get a good chrono data set for all charges) and go up .1 or .2 gr increments until I found what I liked and worked best.

Edited by CiDirkona