Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Minor 124 gr MG FMJ soft shooting loads

gkjr

Nothing is softer than Clays with a 124gr.

I've got the supplies to try that (have only used Clays for .45)...but my current favorite is 147gr X-treme over 3.4gr Universal (or 3.5gr WST). Super soft, but still minor PF.

I've got the supplies to try that (have only used Clays for .45)...but my current favorite is 147gr X-treme over 3.4gr Universal (or 3.5gr WST). Super soft, but still minor PF.

I don't shoot 9 minor much, but I've tried a bunch of loads with my CZ Shadow. With the 124gr CMJ MTG I like N320 over Clays. With the 147gr Zero JHP 3.2gr of Clays sounds and shoots like an air soft and makes PF. The problem is it shoots so nice I go bonziiiiiie and start shooting it faster than an open gun, which is ok till the wheels fall off.

I have some IMR7625 I was shooting in a 38SC Tanfo Gold Team, yeah it is open powder a bit to slow for Limited and on the fast side of open, so I'm going to try it with 9 minor and 124gr CMJ, could wrong be right? Well who knows a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while. I don't know it if will work but I need the storage space, need to burn it.

You are right, this is the softest load combination I have ever shot. By the same token, this is not the most accurate load I have ever tried. I ditched the Clays in favor of the more accurate WSF and will at some point try N320 too.

I have 270 rounds made using VVN320.

Glock 17, completely stock. Using loads in SSP IDPA.

The following loads should give me a variant between 125 PF and 132 PF.

Load data off of Vihtavuori website:

8,0 124 FMJ-RN Lapua 29,0 1,142 N320 0,22 3,4 290 951 0,26 4,0 326 1070

MY Glock has fed all 9mm ammo, from 1.125 OAL to 1.165 OAL. Close to 10K rounds through it in 5 months without a failure of any kind.

All rounds using FC brass, CCI small pistol primers.

30 rounds- 124 gr MG FMJ 3.8 gr N320 1.135 OAL .376 Crimp

" " - 124 gr MG FMJ 3.8 gr N320 1.145 OAL .376 Crimp

" " - 124 gr MG FMJ 3.8 gr N320 1.155 OAL .376 Crimp

" " - 124 gr MG FMJ 3.9 gr N320 1.135 OAL .376 Crimp

" " - 124 gr MG FMJ 3.9 gr N320 1.145 OAL .376 Crimp

" " - 124 gr MG FMJ 3.9 gr N320 1.155 OAL .376 Crimp

" " - 124 gr MG FMJ 4.0 gr N320 1.135 OAL .376 Crimp

" " - 124 gr MG FMJ 4.0 gr N320 1.145 OAL .376 Crimp

" " - 124 gr MG FMJ 4.0 gr N320 1.155 OAL .376 Crimp

Will be chronoing these rounds Wednesday, will post results

As I am new to reloading, I really do not understand OAL other than I know some pistols like certain OALs over others. Some say load long for accuracy, some say this and some say that. I have read thousands of post trying to understand it, for those that say it doesn't really matter I am going to have to disagree although I am doing so based upon the basic principals of physics and chemistry and nothing else, hopefully this non scientific data will give me a better understanding. If pressure is built up and a projectile is forced thru the barrel based upon this pressure, any slight variation in distance would seem to matter to increase or decrease accumulated pressure.

I should have a better understanding atleast with what works best with MY pistol after I collect the data.

Greg

I reload 9mm, using Win 231, MG 124JHP, at COAL of 1.126.

I use these cartridges in both a Glock 34, and Glock 17 with no problems. I use a Dillon RL550B with standard Dillon dies.

These seem to have about 1050 to 1070 FPS which easily makes Minor PF (about 130-135). And Temp does not seem to impact the powder.

Good luck with VV320 test. I also will be interested in your results.

You are right, this is the softest load combination I have ever shot. By the same token, this is not the most accurate load I have ever tried. I ditched the Clays in favor of the more accurate WSF and will at some point try N320 too.

Ditto. 3.7 grains of Clays and a 124 gr MG bullet. Great feel, not that accurate which I attribute to the large flakes not metering well on the 550B.

Just to update on my test loads for N320:

I have nothing to update, my range session was hijacked for professional reasons. Will update whenever I get the chance to spend a half day at the range.

Greg

Just to update on my test loads for N320:

I have nothing to update, my range session was hijacked for professional reasons. Will update whenever I get the chance to spend a half day at the range.

Greg -

Don't feel bad. My best intentions are often set aside by demands from the War Department (aka the wife).

You'll get your shot. ;)

I don't shoot 9 minor much, but I've tried a bunch of loads with my CZ Shadow. With the 124gr CMJ MTG I like N320 over Clays. With the 147gr Zero JHP 3.2gr of Clays sounds and shoots like an air soft and makes PF. The problem is it shoots so nice I go bonziiiiiie and start shooting it faster than an open gun, which is ok till the wheels fall off.

I have some IMR7625 I was shooting in a 38SC Tanfo Gold Team, yeah it is open powder a bit to slow for Limited and on the fast side of open, so I'm going to try it with 9 minor and 124gr CMJ, could wrong be right? Well who knows a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while. I don't know it if will work but I need the storage space, need to burn it.

I also am getting ready to try 7625 for limited...was using AA#7 and liked it a lot but ran out of it and have some 7625 so im gonna give it a whirl. 124gr. cmj. 4.4gr. oal is around 1.155.. Im interested in your results as well please keep us updated, thanks

Being new to reloading I checked the site for different loads. I like 147 grain (purchased a couple thousand of Berry's copper plated) and wanted to use Solo 1000 as it got good reviews on line and by a friend. But, I could not find it at local stores. I ended up with Titegroup and the loads are pretty soft, not as soft as my friends Solo 1000 loads.

I ended up with:

147grn Berry's Copper Plated RN

3.4grns Titegroup

1.150" OAL

Federal SPP

Shot at 1600hrs - temperature in the low 60's

Glock 17 w/after market Lone Wolf barrel & lightened recoil, striker & trigger springs

Consistent PF of 130. I don't want to go much lower since Titegroup is temperature sensitive and it has been/gotten cold in Iowa lately. Must be Global Warming.

I plan on trying the Solo 100 soon. I can get it ordered in through Scheel's.

Trial and error and a chrono. My first loads were under 120 PF (maybe I'll use them for steel)

Good Luck.

The heavier the bullet at the same power factor the less the felt recoil, 147gn is the way to go. I'll shoot lead outdoors and plated or jacketed bullets indoors.

Solo 1000 has a soft recoil but is very heat sensitive, slows down when it gets hot outdoors. You have to be careful when working up loads. It's a light flake powder and doesn't meter well and tends to spill on the shell plate so you'll need to go slow and place the bullet as soon after the powder drop as possible to avoid spillage. Polishing the inside of the powder funnel helps bridging. It tends to vary in charge weight from lot to lot also. Solo can be a pain but the results are worth the effort. It's a compressed load, I don't think I could get enough Solo 1000 in a case to use a 115gn bullet.

Want to try something really nice 160 lead bullet over Solo 1000.

• 3 months later...

Clay's has been one of the softest shooting powders I have shot. However, I had isues with getting PF. I could get right to the min , but going 2 or 3gr up really didn't make much difference. Others in my shooting circles have had similar issues.

A few of my plain Clay's loads out of a G17 w/ Lone Wolf barrel (which is a bit slower than factory):

147gr FN hard cast 2.7gr Clays 1.10 OAL 124 PF

147gr FN hard cast 2.9gr Clays 1.10 OAL 127 PF

Edited by Tul9033

I'm interested in this as well, as I'm new to the sport and also new to reloading.

Right now I'm using:

Precision Delta 124gr FMJ

Win 231 4.5gr

OAL = 1.140"

CCI #500 primers

Mixed Brass

It seems to be an ok round, but nothing special...I'm going to get some PD/MG 147gr bullets and try some N320 as well and see it that works better. My problem is that I'm shooting these out of a 3" barrel, so I'm not sure the 147gr's will be better. I actually think they would be less accurate, no?