Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

International Space Station

I couldn't figure out from that web site what direction to be looking at sunset?

You have to load up your coordinates on earth first, or pick a nearby preloaded city.

Then, it's like a compass direction for the Azimuth 90=E, 180=S, 270=W, and so forth.

Then there is the distance above horizon, or altitude, with the horizon=0, and strait up=90. A fist at arms length is right at 10 degrees.

It's pretty wicked how accurate those times are, if you get a chance check out an Iridium Flare! Next brightest thing is a full moon.

...and right before sun-up! Saw it just a half an hour ago with my oldest daughter. man that thing is moving! It circles the Earth roughly every hour and a half.

Actually had a clear night here last night and was able to see it. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

I couldn't figure out from that web site what direction to be looking at sunset?

You have to load up your coordinates on earth first, or pick a nearby preloaded city.

Thanks - that's what I didn't get (current observing site / select from map).

I printed out some charts and I'll be checking out some satellites and iridum flares.

be

The right time seems to be the most important thing. If the sky is clear you will see it. It is bright and really moving. Not seemingly, so fast when it as at either horizon, but as it gets overhead its amazingly fast. A little over 17,000 miles per hour.

but it's about 100 miles away (up), so just the usual orbital speed. Kinda looks like a jet liner 5 miles up doing 450 miles an hour. Also, morning and evening are the best times, sun still hitting the station, but dark down here on earth, 100 miles is a long way.