Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NRA Action Pistol: 2004 Results & Progress

rhino

Dave,

Brian's advice makes a lot of sense --- when doesn't it --- but I think I might still prefer the mantra of "see what you need to see, " and "let your vision dictate your speed," as I've never knocked down five plates in a row from the 25 yard line before today. I missed the first one --- and was simply determined to see what I needed before taking the next plate. I would have settled for two or three, or even for one --- I simply stopped considering the time limit. And all of a sudden the sights just seemed to be where they needed to be, and I knew the plates were falling as I was transitioning, and it seemed almost effortless.

Now just watch me WANT to replicate that and fail miserably for months and months....

I love that I'm seeing at the moment!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,

What's this I see? YOU went prone? My, my! Hope it wasn't on one of the BIG FOUR Cup events! That's against the rules now. Maybe it was the Speedload challenge or some such that they didn't mess with..............yeah, that's it! Fun though, wasn't it?

Alan~^~ :)

Dave,

What's this I see? YOU went prone? My, my! Hope it wasn't on one of the BIG FOUR Cup events! That's against the rules now. Maybe it was the Speedload challenge or some such that they didn't mess with..............yeah, that's it! Fun though, wasn't it?

Alan~^~ :)

Rule 7.6, Alan. Everyone is allowed to shoot prone at 50 on the Practical.

RTFM

For what it's worth:

Nik

Shooting the plates a different way around at different distances is a pretty good idea, it can stop you from getting complacent and can force you to concentrate on hitting the things!!

Rhino

If you keep moving with the target and making sure your shots are good, lead will only be an issue as you move further back. 10 and 15 you're shots will still be 10's. As you go to 20 and 25, try changing to hold on the edge of the target, that way you've still got a definite aiming point. (Obviously this will all depend on the speed of your ammo etc etc, but 8" is a big target to hit)

Dave

Do you know what the recovery position is? I used to shoot prone in a similar sort of way to that, with my left knee raised slightly. It helped to roll over a little bit and it meant there was less of a strain on your neck.

Don't know if it's any help or not. :)

SRT - we missed you too, man. It was weird not having either of my coaches there. :(

JimmyB - thanks. I just checked my position again. I don't feel any strain in my neck, just in my right shoulder. I'm going to work on improving my flexibility. I've always had trouble with that joint.

Dave,

The position Jimmy B describes is best for us larger framed fellows.

If you are right handed it should be as follows, right arm extended fully out, wrist or forearm (depending on shape and size), elbow, right hand side of chest and right hip firmly planted. Right leg turned inward with right foot pointing left, outside of foot resting on ground, this will reduce pessure on right knee as you are laying on your right quad. Left knee moved out and forward, almost at right angles, left foot pointed left also.

Left hand supporting pistol and left elbow should be on ground. Minimum wobble from this position.

When you go prone TRY to kick at least your right foot well clear, I land on my left knee and fall forward from there, with a lot of support from my left hand (right hand busy with pistol). I am usually more stable and have less problems with missing my mark this way.

Little fella's seem to be able to do this better as they use the left hand and just kick out with both feet.

Pratice this a lot. It will improve slowly, and all the "constructive" criticism you can and will get from others will be useful.

Use a video, as they show you how you are doing and how much you have to change. You can disect the problem. Plus it will save a fair amunt of wear and tear on the knees and hips.

BTW, as you get older getting up is the main problem and in more than one way. :P

Not a fat midget, but an under height giant.

I went to the doctor and when she weighed me she asked how tall I was. Knowing that she was going to look at a chart that was about to tell her I was slightly under height, I looked at the scales and quickly said 6' 4".

Damn woman did not believe me. :rolleyes:

You think after seven years at University she would be able to tell how heavy I am without resorting to stressing out a perfect fine set of scales.

Question:

I just looked up the scores and it shows TGO as high Nat and Mik as World. What gives?? Did Robbie scores get moved out of the the World Comp?

(National) Metallic Sight Championship

National Champion Robert Leatham, Mesa, AZ 1905-144X

Second Place Jerry Miculek, Princeton, LA 1893-122X

Third Place Robert Vadasz, Boulevard, CA 1884-131X

(World) Metallic Sight Championship

National Champion Jerry Miculek, Princeton, LA 1893-122X

Second Place Robert Vadasz, Boulevard, CA 1884-131X

Third Place Mark Owensby, Greenville, IL 1877-125X

Also, how many plates are in the falling plate event? Did Robbie clean it?

dirtypool40,

Actually what happened was that when Robbie's wife sent in his entry, she forgot to add the extra $25.00 to enter the World Cup! So he got left out of that one.........

Alan~^~

Uh-oh!

I can now guarantee that I won't be the top metallic sight shooter at the Indiana Regional in September.

I just looked at my calendar and the match is the same weekend as the Area 5 (USPSA) pistol match. I will be losing miserably in Limited 10 division the same day I was going to embarrass myself in NRA Action Pistol of the last time of the year.

Oh, well ... BigDave has a chance now!

• 3 weeks later...

Today's debacle ...

Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club

Brookston, IN

03 July, 2004

Auto - Metallic Sight (Production) - MM class

PRACTICAL: 363, 9X

MOVING TARGET: 336, 5X

BARRICADE: 352, 9X

FALLING PLATES: 240, 24X

TOTAL: 1291, 47 X

I went way, way down on the Barricade (404, 12X last time), shot the exact same score on the Practical, went down on the Mover (353, 10X), and unbelievably hit even fewer plates than last time's shameful 29!

I went way, way down on the Barricade (404, 12X last time), shot the exact same score on the Practical, went down on the Mover (353, 10X), and unbelievably hit even fewer plates than last time's shameful 29!

Rhino,

were you trying to improve on last month's debacle?

I was actually happy with my last NRA AP match ... I think it was in ... May? I got 1410 that time, which is my best.

I could call my plates a debacle from last time ... 29. Of course, 29 is much better than today's 24!

Maybe in addition to being craptacular, I'm my shooting is debacular! :lol:

I was happy with my close targets on the Practical, too. It didn't go so well at 25 and 50. I had more misses than usual at 50, but I don't know why. I can get all of my hits on paper at 50 when I shoot groups (in well under the time limit too), so I don't know what the trouble is. Most of hits at 25 were inside the 8 and 10 rings.

Rhino,

Just guessing here --- is it possible that you just flaked out on the fifty yard line and forgot to turn your vision up? That's happened to me a bunch of times.....

After my surprisingly good run on the plates last month --- where I went 5/6 on string two at the 25 after going 2/6 on the first string at that distance --- my only advice on plates is to forget how many are there. Draw, see the plate, shoot the plate only when you've seen what you need to see to ensure the hit, repeat as often as time allows. If you leave one standing, move on without judging or thinking --- just focus on seeing what you need to see to hit the plate you're looking at now. I think the hardest thing on the plates is getting the head into the right place. The shooting isn't hard, the time limits are doable --- not easy, but doable. Once the head is thinking about something other than seeing what you need to see to whack the current plate though, you're done.

You could be right on the 50 yard stuff ... maybe I'll start shooting the Practical first and see if it helps to be "fresh" for the 50 yards stuff. It's not a good place to "end," I think. I think I'd like to end on the plates!

Here's the kicker on plates ... I only really have trouble with them when they are attached to a plate rack. Today in a USPSA match, a stage had five six-inch plates (the kind you knock off a stand). I whacked them easily with five quick shots. Had there been six, I would have done it in six shots, no problem, easily under the NRA AP time limit.

So I can shoot smaller plates, as long as they are not on a plate rack! I can hit six inch or eight inch paper plates all day! But make it a steel circle that rotates on a big rod and I'm doomed. The time limits aren't hurting me at all. I have plenty of time, and I don't do any better if go slower.

Another thing that throws me off is if I do well on my first string or two on the plates. Yesterday I got 5 and 6 on the first two strings. After that, I was done. In the past when I've hit 33 plates, I got only one or two on the first two string total, then kicked it into gear at the longer distances. That's something I can even begin to explain!

Hopefully one of the clubs where I have access to shoot any time will get a plate rack soon. When that happens, I'm going to do a little practicing. Yes, I said it! I'm going to practice!

Rhino

I never had plates to practice on either. I went to the local store and bought some 8" paper plates and stapled them to a 2x4. Worked great, not that this years result at the "Cup" would show it.

GrantJ

• 4 weeks later...

Today's NRA Action Pistol Debacle (TNRAAPD) was even more debacular than last month!

Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club

Brookston, IN

03 July, 2004

Auto - Metallic Sight (Production) - MM class

PRACTICAL: 336 (7X)

MOVING TARGET: 302 (6X)

BARRICADE: 361 (12X)

FALLING PLATES: 280 (28X)

TOTAL: 1279 (53X)

I knew I was in trouble when I didn't even come close to getting my sixth shot fired before the timer beeped on the very first string on the Barricade event. That was ten easy point flushed down the toilet.

I actually got four more plates than last time and only one short of my personal record, so that was okay. I was shooting low.

On the mover, I had all kinds of problems 15 to 25 yards. I was trying to "lead" the target again, which for some reason makes me shoot worse.I had a lot of misses and I was shooting low.

On the practical, I blew sixty easy points ... on the weak hand, unsupported string, I completely missed the target on the left and I think I got one 5 on the right. I have no idea what happened, but it was not pretty. Curiously I score a handful more points at 25-50 than usual, but obviously not enough to make a difference.

Since I have been shooting low quite a bit, I am beginning to suspect that I may be "milking" the grip when I press the trigger. BigDave suggested that I may also be anticipating the recoil, and that is also likely. We zeroed my pistol on Thusday and I was hitting individual pasters at 12.5 yards, so it was not the gun.

After the match, I did 12 practice runs on the plates at 15 yards. On most of them, I left at least three plates and I only got five once or twice. I did not get all six plates a single time. In almost all cases, I was shooting low and hitting the rack instead of the plates.