Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NRA Action Pistol: 2004 Results & Progress

rhino

It wasn't really a huge deal for him to shoot that score, either. Methinks the prone/standing thing is a mental issue ...

Of course, the way the rules were changed and the rude behavior of the people who run the sport are still a problem.

Don't forget to post your score, BD!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1627/78x - Metallic Sight/Auto - would have been even better had I gotten the 6 shots off I didn't on the Barricade :angry: - but, if I could shoot only x's for 192 rounds, I'd be Doug Koenig or Bruce Piatt, or Brian Enos, or John Pride, or...

I got my first ever NRA Action Pistol classification card today! I'm officially a "Marksman." What score do I need to achieve to make Sharpshooter?

Has anyone tried to order rule books and such from the NRA web site? For some reason, I can't get their shopping cart to work for me. I've tried changing my security settings and deleting the old cookies and such, but nothing works.

I'd like to get a copy of the NRA Action Pistol rule book among other things.

BigDave,

I don't know where you learned your math but the way they taught us here in Va your score of 1627 works out to be 85%.

Here's the break down:

High Master: 99-100%

Master: 96-98.99%

Expert: 90-95.99%

Sharpshooter: 80-89.99%

Markman: Below 80%

There's one thing Alan knows and that's the rulebook. It's been a learning experience for all of us.

Last year they changed the way they using the scores to move shooters to the next higher class. Normally they take the average for atleast 288 rounds but last year it only took 144. It also took only 144 rounds to get classified the first time. There were a few shooters shooting the Cup as unclassified and had been shooting there for 5 years.

Kevin

GM,

Yes, true. The record should start fresh. But if it actually does, we'll have to see. This is the NRA we're talking about!!!.

How about we start a "gentleman's" pool. What do you think the winning score will be this year. Not who but the winning number.

I'll start:

Open - 1920 - 175x

Stock - 1906 - 155x

Prod - 1880 - 145x

Alan might know his rule book, but he (I) blew that one! The 80% is right but it only takes a 1536 to make Sharpshooter. The 1728 takes you into Expert. And Kevin's got the percentages right.

Sorry I missed that one guys! :wacko:

Alan~^~

Ok, now that it is settled. Like I said, I've never shot a 1728, and I just got my new Met. Sight Sharpshooter card today from the NRA. Also, I didn't know the percentages, thanks for sharing. Now I know what I must shoot to make Expert!

Hi guys,

Everyone getting ready for the cup?

I just got back from my 2nd AP match of the season at Topton PA today, using the new ruling.

I shot with Doug Koenig who has been doing a lot of practice.

His match went great.... shooting a 1920 - 185x

Barricade 480 - 48X

Practical 480 - 46X

Plates 480 - 48X

Mover 480 - 43X

I shot a Barricade 480 - 45X

Practical 480 - 46X

Plates 480 - 48X

Mover 476 - 38X

I got sloppy on the trigger after a bad draw at 25yds.

I'll get some practice in before the cup and give Doug a run for the cup.

After the match I shot my stock gun and had a great time doing it. First time shooting the gun so a couple of jams from one faulty magazine I culled out. I hope next year they allow us to shoot both guns at the cup. I understand it's up to the committee to allow it. Speak up at the Q&A session or write to Rudy if you're in favor of it. FYI, I proposed that they allow both guns for score/ records/ prizes at a reduced entry for the 2nd gun. So as not to gain an advantage, I suggested mixing up the events/guns each day.

I hope to see you in Columbia.

Stop by and say hello.

Bruce Piatt

Bruce,

Nice to see that the X count for you two hasn't suffered very much. From what I have been able to figure out that's why we got this stinking rule change in the first place. Now I have more ammo to hit them with at the shooters meeting.

I was hoping to make it to Topton yesterday but I finally got my new gun and things aren't working out very well. I don't have the first round loaded for the Cup.

See ya in a few weeks,

Kevin Angstadt

How about we start a "gentleman's" pool. What do you think the winning score will be this year. Not who but the winning number.

I'll start:

Open - 1920 - 175x

Stock - 1906 - 155x

Prod - 1880 - 145x

Okay ... I am confused. What is the difference between "stock" and "production"?

And what is the difference between "metallic sight" and production?

I shoot a Kimber .45ACP ... obviously it is metallic sight, but is it stock or is it production?

Here's what it says on the NRA web site under Rule Changes:

3.2 Metallic Sight Firearm - Minimum caliber is 9x19mm

(9mm); a semi-automatic firearm with no more than a 6 1/4"

barrel in length; the front sight not to extend past the front of the

slide and the rear sight not past the rear of the slide by a 1/4". A

revolver’s barrel will not exceed 8 5/8" in length; the front sight

not to extend past the front of the barrel and the rear sight will

not extend past the rear of the frame. The following items are

prohibited:

(a) Wings

(B) Peep, ghost, optical or electronic sights

© Orthopedic grips - no part of the grip may encircle the

hand

(d) Thumb rests

(e) Compensators or ported barrels

3.2.1 Production Firearm - A semi-automatic handgun or

revolver which is or has been a catalogue item readily available

to the general public equipped with metallic sights. Customshop

firearms are not allowed. The firearm shall have no visible

external modifications except as follows:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So technically yours would be Production. The idea behind "Metallic Sight" class was to allow Caspians and the like that are not made as production firearms.

There is no such thing as the Stock division in NRA Action Pistol any longer. It has been replaced by the Metallic Sight Firearm. One of the new divisions recognized in Action Pistol is Production Firearm. From the NRA website:

3.2.1 Production Firearm - A semi-automatic handgun or revolver which is or has been a catlogue item readily available to the general public equipped with metallic sights.  Cutom shop firearms are not allowed.  The firearm shall have no visible exteral modifications except as follows:

The modifications aren't listed where I looked. But, here are the Metallic Sight rules:

3.2 Metallic Sight Firearm - Minimum calibe is 9x19mm (9mm); a semi-automatic firearm with no more than a 6 1/4" barel in length; the front sight not to extend past the front of the slide and the rear sight not past the rear of the slide by 1/4".  A revolver's barrel will not exceed 8 5/8" in length; the front sight not to extend past the front of the barrel and the rear sight will not extend past the rear of the frame.  The following items are prohibited:

(a) Wings

( b ) Peep, ghost, optical or electronic sights

( c ) Othopedic grips - no part of the grip may encircle the hand

(d) Thumb rests

(e) Compensators or ported barrels

Rhino - I think your Kimber is good to go in Production, at least in its current form.

Okay ... Bob P. led me to believe that there isn't a difference between metallic sight and production ...

So my classification should actually be in Production!

If I shoot the state match, would I then be unclassified in Production?

Could I contact NRA and have them "switch" my classification, or will I have to shoot two more matches and make sure the scores get reported as Production?

rhino,

I would call NRA to get your classification changed. Talk to Rudy first. They made the new class but the score cards that match directors turn in do not have Production listed. It took them several years to get Stock on there so in the mean time I would cross out stock (at the bottom of the card where the scores are written in) and write in Production from now on.

Technically, you would have to shoot the state match as unclassified in production. Even if you hurry I doubt if you could get a new card by the state match.

Nice to see Doug's scores dropping under the new rules. :lol:

I still maintain they did it wrong. But regardless of what they do, the cream rises to the top.

This last Sunday I shot a heap of plates and I will be doing the same next week, as well as shooting a full match. I have not shot anything for about 6 weeks, so I was please just to be allowed at the range. Cleaned the plates 6 times running then got tired and shot a pair of 470's.

So I think we need to practice some more.

So what does it feel like to clean the plates?

On my last try, I got 11 of the first 12 and I was so happy about it I fell apart. I don't think I've hit more than half on the first string before, and in fact I did better shooting at the longer distances.

Last time it was different, though!

BigDave and I need to start shooting some paper plates or something similar when we practice!

dude, something better than paper might just be around the bend, thanks to 3QT

Well, it looks as if folks are really stepping it up to make it over the no-prone hump. Perhaps it was all mental. Hopefully if some stellar scores are being shot with the new rules, some folks that I know who haven't shot AP this year will come back to the line.

And while we're on the subject; if you shoot AP, try and take a new shooter to your next monthly match and introduce him/her to this great sport. If you don't have AP matches near you, set up a couple courses of fire from the Action Pistol rulebook and get involved. This is a great sport and will only make your IPSC shooting better.

When I do it in a big Match I will be very happy, but at present I am pleased with the results. I have tried hard and sometimes been my own worst enemy.

Getting over the no prone thing is harder than I thought. It has changed the match much more than just no veing able to lay down and shoot. You have to be more patient than before, as the extra time is not neccessarily the best thing. Many people are saying that they are thinking too much and not getting to the shooting bit.

Hello all. Phil Strader here. As some of you may know, I'll be shooting my first AP match at the Bianchi Cup this year. I'm using an STI "Eagle" with bo-mar adj. sights. I shot the Practical today during my lunch break and shot a 471 39X. I'm not sure if that's good or not, but it was my first and only try. I shot the 50 yd portion standing (I'm not a strong prone shooter), and finished each string in about half the time! I've still got some work to do, I guess.

I'm also wondering which division would be the most beneficial to shoot in....ie. which one is Robbie going to shoot in, as well as all of the other prior Stock shooters. My STI has a Kart barrel in it. Does this make it a Metallic Sight or Production pistol. I really want to shoot in a competitive division, but I just don't which one I should pick. I originally signed up for Metallic Sights, but it seems like I could shoot in Production....I'm so confused!! :(

Any advice from some AP vets would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phil