Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hogue Grip Sleeve on G17 Gen 1

glock22.scout

I am confused by the rule for grip sleeve for a Production gun. I have a G17 Gen 1 and would like to add the Hogue grip sleeve with finger grooves, Since Glock does make the G17 with finger grooves is this modification allowed? Agin this is the slip on sleeve.

To my knowledge, no, it's not legal. Grip tape only... I don't have my rule book handy, but I think that's the case. I think that would be considered an "external modification", but if I'm wrong, somone will be along shortly to correct me....

• 4 weeks later...

To my knowledge, no, it's not legal. Grip tape only... I don't have my rule book handy, but I think that's the case. I think that would be considered an "external modification", but if I'm wrong, somone will be along shortly to correct me....

IMO, that would be changing the factory profile of the Gen 1 frame.

Ergo, not legal.

Ergo, not legal.

Correct.

It would add finger grooves that weren't part of the factory standard for that frame.

Appendix D4.21.4 allows for sleeves. But as stated above, you'll have to maintain the factory profile.

The rulebook specifically allows grip sleeves. 22.2 pretty obviously applies to grinding off or adding (gluing, molding) material. Where are you guys getting that the allowed grip sleeves are restricted?

Ergo, not legal.

Ergo, not legal.

Correct.

It would add finger grooves that weren't part of the factory standard for that frame.

Appendix D4.21.4 allows for sleeves. But as stated above, you'll have to maintain the factory profile.

The rulebook specifically allows grip sleeves. 22.2 pretty obviously applies to grinding off or adding (gluing, molding) material. Where are you guys getting that the allowed grip sleeves are restricted?

22.2 Is about revolver grips is my interpretation of that section of the rulebook. I could be wrong.

22.2 Grips – any addition or removal of material which changes the factory profile or adds function such as beavertail or thumb rest.

As noted above (21.4) Revolver grips may be replaced with OEM or aftermarket grips of any shape, profile and surface texture. 22.2 is deemed to NOT APPLY to REVOLVER grips. Adding or removing material to change the profile of Revolver grips is ALLOWED.

It's just not that obvious to me. If the word(s) 'glue', 'adhere' or anything similar were in 22.2, I'd probably agree, but absent that, putting a grip sleeve on definitely would change the profile on a Gen 1 frame.

22.2 Grips – any addition or removal of material which changes the factory profile or adds function such as beavertail or thumb rest.

As noted above (21.4) Revolver grips may be replaced with OEM or aftermarket grips of any shape, profile and surface texture. 22.2 is deemed to NOT APPLY to REVOLVER grips. Adding or removing material to change the profile of Revolver grips is ALLOWED.

It's just not that obvious to me. If the word(s) 'glue', 'adhere' or anything similar were in 22.2, I'd probably agree, but absent that, putting a grip sleeve on definitely would change the profile on a Gen 1 frame.

This could be one of those rare instances of me looking at something from a practical viewpoint. The rules specifically allow sleeves, and the finger-groove Hogues are one of the most common sleeves I know of. The restriction on profile can easily (and I think correctly) be read to allow finger-groove sleeves. Why not let the rules peacefully coexist?

According to D21 if someone says that my finger-groove sleeve is non-compliant, I need only identify a specific rules clause that allows the sleeve. I would point out 21.4.

Revolver grips discussed in the production appendix? I think you guys just found a big typo.

I always considered that this specifically referred to revolvers shooting in Production...not that they'd necessarily want to...but they are authorized under the Production rules.

Curtis

Revolver grips discussed in the production appendix? I think you guys just found a big typo.

Nope. You can shoot a wheelgun in Production.....

As usual, Nik beat me to the punch. :cheers:

Curtis