Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going for Master this weekend

JerryShoots

Hey guys,

I'm shooting my classifier for the year this weekend and I decided to go for CDP Master. I've got it in SSP and I'm Expert in CDP and ESP currently. I've shot the CDP classifier once so far and haven't gone again. I was 5.45 short of Master last time.

Now normally I'd ask for last minute advice or something like that but I have a solid game plan and I'm sticking to it.

What would really do me a ton of good and hopefully give me that extra 5.46 I need is to get a bunch of good luck replies from you guys!

Help me out folks I would really appreciate it :D

Thanks in advance!

I would not shoot a classifier for master myself, I shot one and got CDP expert and was bumped up after winning a big match. Not really sure I am a master but it happens,an I will take it :cheers: Good luck to ya buddy ro.

Well lol I didn't get it but I got really close! I think I'll either wait until the state match and see if I class up with a win or I'll shoot the season and go for it again in fall.

Thanks to all of you again for the support!

How close did you come? Favor us with a breakdown..... :D

I made Master last year in the classifier.. I am still mad at myself for doing it in the classifier.. Do it at a sanctioned match.. You will be happier later when you hit it. Good Luck.

I made Master last year in the classifier.. I am still mad at myself for doing it in the classifier.. Do it at a sanctioned match.. You will be happier later when you hit it. Good Luck.

Sounds like good advice...at least you then know that you are functioning at that level and not just a master classifier. Seems odd that some Masters are hounded by Sharpshooters...

Sounds like good advice...at least you then know that you are functioning at that level and not just a master classifier. Seems odd that some Masters are hounded by Sharpshooters...

The majority of the Sharpshooters I see that are nipping at the Masters are guys that aren't in fact sharpshooters but Experts or Masters sandbagging the sharpshooter division. I know of more than a few shooters who regularly shoot at Master level but don't want to move up to master class so go out of their way to avoid classifiers and or sanctionaed matches. As a master it doesn't affect me I dont compete against them, but i feel bad for the guys who are legit sharpshooters trying to move up being held back by sandbaggers.

I like that you can shoot the IDPA classifiers again and again. Encourages you to shoot it the best you can. If not part of a sanctioned match, you can even reshoot a stage if you have a major brain dump. I like that too. I would rather be overclassified than under. Can't be called a 'bagger if you hold the top classification. I'm not counted the new "super master" they just invented.

The majority of the Sharpshooters I see that are nipping at the Masters are guys that aren't in fact sharpshooters but Experts or Masters sandbagging the sharpshooter division. I know of more than a few shooters who regularly shoot at Master level but don't want to move up to master class so go out of their way to avoid classifiers and or sanctionaed matches. As a master it doesn't affect me I dont compete against them, but i feel bad for the guys who are legit sharpshooters trying to move up being held back by sandbaggers.

I wasn't referring to sandbaggers, they are everywhere, but to say they hold anybody back is a stretch. Sharpshooters can always classify up. What they are doing is cheating other shooters out of a plaque. The way to fix this is to allow MD's to bump a shooter based on performance track record. If you go to two or more different matches and are routinely winning your class with more than 5 people in it you are eligible to be bumped to the next higher class in the following year regardless of classifier performance.

I was referring to whizbang classifier type shooters that can't hack scenarios or anything that requires planning. These shooters shoot below their classification consistently and fail to adapt to changing match conditions. The fact that you can hit the targets in a specified sequence that can be practiced ad nauseum is good, but nothing to be particularly touted. The fact that you can perform in a match at or near the top of your classification is something to be commended.

I'll go ahead and discredit my last statement by saying that I'm not a master yet so my opinion doesn't count. I blew expert in the last classifier by six seconds after bobbling all the reloads due to a blood blister on my heavily taped right thumb. Oh well...my terribly slow draw and goofed reloads are keeping me down. I fix it by the time I make it to the next class in the other sports. I should add that I have only fired the classifier four times with revolver, know all the "secrets," but haven't gotten around to practicing it. If you want to practice the classifier, rock on, but practice the other stuff too so you don't get embarrassed at the next match.

Don't make this harder than it is, shoot fast and don't hit outside the down zero, that's all there is to Master

Haha, but harder it is....the better it feels when I get there. Ok, so...circle and square, no octagon.

Remember not everyone can be as cool as you and master the revo so well. I will take the training wheels off when I am good and ready! :roflol:

Don't be discouraged if you can't make MA in a classifier. I know plenty of people who cannot shoot the classifier fast, but can beat the snot out of other people in a sanctioned match. Some people simply do better competing against others. Others make up for time with movement.