Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone try paintinh moonclips?

westczek

I just attach shiny gold colored bits to mine. Makes them show up way better than plain old black! :cheers:

I find that silver bits work better as gold bits tend to attract leprechauns.... :roflol:

As much as you're paying for them might as well go for some monofilament and tie it to the belt...

Edited by Forrest Halley

Ok. let me say that I put small 38 short colt gold bits on my moon clips and being an L-frame not a lot of the shiny stainless steel clip showing. If you try the duracoat, let me know how it goes.

Westczek

Ok. let me say that I put small 38 short colt gold bits on my moon clips and being an L-frame not a lot of the shiny stainless steel clip showing. If you try the duracoat, let me know how it goes.

Westczek

So are you saying that you have actually lost some clips and are actively trying to prevent any further losses or just being proactive?

The only time I ever worry about the possibility of losing a clip was in a 3 gun match where I was running the timer and the center times were so hellishly short that we were literally running to paste and reset. I didn't have all the time to reset my own gear.

Pistol matches should never be a problem as you can always rewalk the stage until you find the kicked clip. It's not like you're shooting IDPA and can eject one into the hole of the blue barrel you're hiding behind....first match with a revo in IDPA I did this...what a PITA getting it out. When I run the .40 in IDPA and really care about clip accountability...I use the big North Mountain rack to keep track and run my loaded and empty clips off that for nine total(8+1 in the behind the holster)reloading clips between stages. USPSA is easy (as is 3 gun) as long as you always go out with 8 on the rack and 1 in hand to load.

Painting adds thickness to the moonclip, thickness can/may/will cause the cylinder to bind.

If the 'clips are stainless, find a company that can make them a different colour.

If they are spring steel then a coloured solution like blueing could be used.

I haven't lost any yet. This is more an issue of being proactive. It could speed up my locating them and reduce any possible HMCLA, Hearthco moonclip loss anxiety...

Westczek

I feel it. It really does upset your balance when a tiny little clip goes missing. Four dollars worth of anxiety.

At $4 the anxiety would be considerably less... these are about $6. Oh but they are so goooood...

Westczek

Speak not this sacrilege, lest the mighty God of the reload hear you and cause your clips to bounce off the chambers like little rubber balls! :roflol: