Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 ordered question while I wait

Just ordered a 550 from BE and can't wait till it gets here. This will be my first progressive so I am excited. Just finished a new work bench in anticipation. Currently I have about 750 cases primed and ready for powder and a bullet. I prepared them on the trusty old rock chucker. So here's my question, Is it possible to finish these rounds on the 550 or do I have to load the round from start to finish with the 550. I would like to wait and use the new press if its possible, if not I need to crank up the rock chucker from one more go.

Thanks

Matt

IDPA SSP Master, ESP Expert

You can wait.

You can either remove the decapper and resize the cases (not sure what dies you use), or just don't put the sizing die in station 1 in at all, until you are through with your primed cases.

+1 for Trey. Just remove the decaping pin and don't load any primers. You'll have all stations filled, which give you more consistant loads, and get practce running all stations in rotation to get the feel of the new 550. Have fun, it's a great machine. :cheers:

congrats on the new press. you'll be amazed out how fast you will get quality loaded rounds out of the 550 compared to using a single stage (at least I was). Downside is you'll really end up spoiled loading on the 550, and may grow to hate it when you have to get back on the rockchucker for calibers that you're not (yet) set up for on the 550. This is how I eventually ended up with caliber conversions for everything I shoot...

Just remove the sizing die altogether, cases that are primed and ready to load don't need sizing or decapping. And remember to NOT push through on the primer seating stroke after the ram is back down.

Do these two things and you will be good to go to load your ready to go cases on the 550.

Just remove the sizing die altogether

As mentioned already this will probably not give the most consistent results. Especially oal.

And remember to NOT push through on the primer seating stroke after the ram is back down.

Pushing through assures the most consistent powder throws. You really want to go through the whole stroke every time you pull the handle.

Thanks guys, 550 is here and setup. I banged out about 200 of those rounds today. After some trial and error setting up, it went great. Spoiled already. The only issue that I am having so far is occasionally the indexing sprocket seems to hang up and becomes difficult to turn. A couple of shells later, right back to normal. Have I done something wrong to cause this or is there some other explanation.

Thanks

Matt Shaw

Thanks guys, 550 is here and setup. I banged out about 200 of those rounds today. After some trial and error setting up, it went great. Spoiled already. The only issue that I am having so far is occasionally the indexing sprocket seems to hang up and becomes difficult to turn. A couple of shells later, right back to normal. Have I done something wrong to cause this or is there some other explanation.

Thanks

Matt Shaw

When my 550 does this it is usually a primer not quite seated all the way. If that is the case, pitch the round and don't try to seat the primer deeper. Saving one round isn't worth setting it off in your face!

When my 550 does this it is usually a primer not quite seated all the way. If that is the case, pitch the round and don't try to seat the primer deeper. Saving one round isn't worth setting it off in your face!

Just a clarification... Don't try to seat the primers deeper on a completed round. There's no harm in pushing a little on a primed case without powder though.