Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Went minor

JakeMartens

Ok I have been loading 200gr swc lead over 4.3grains of clays for 11 years now, never had a problem

always would run 840-845 fps for a power factor of 168-169 power factor.

Oal has stayed the same 1.25, same crimp etc.

Only difference is before I was shooting my custom built Nowlin, today I was shooting my Trojan. This was at Battle in the Blue Grass and Ken Skeeters was running the chrono. He has chrono'd me and this load in the Nowlin dozens of times, but this was the first time with the Trojan.

It was probably in the upper 40's temp wise this afternoon when we ran the chrono. The gun was running 20-30fps slower than I get with the Nowlin. I was very surpised by this.

Easy fix by bumping the charge, but I guess my biggest surpise was that this gun would run that much slower.

Guess you hadn't chrono'd enough/any with that load, and that gun. 20-30fps difference is common between otherwise identical guns. I always tell the folks running 168-169PF that it's going to get them sooner or later...took a while for you, but it's just more proof.

Guess you hadn't chrono'd enough/any with that load, and that gun. 20-30fps difference is common between otherwise identical guns. I always tell the folks running 168-169PF that it's going to get them sooner or later...took a while for you, but it's just more proof.

No it was the first time over the chrono with this gun, which is one that is the older version ( I picked up in lnib condition) it has the old roll mark with the horse. Solid gun, very tight still. Picked it up last year, but didn't start shooting it in single stack until this past feb with plans to shoot it at ss nat's.

Not so much pissed I went minor at bitb, and glad to find out there than the ss nat's!!

Ken had the box and fit just fine with S&A magwell and older style wilson mags, did only weigh in at 39oz's. I have an Ed Brown extended mag release coming, ambi's and new beavertail ( the one on there rattles and its fit is pretty sloppy)that George Huening is going to fit up for me.

Checked the 550 when I got home and it was throwing the same 4.3gr charge. I have had the powder for about 2 years in the one pound containers (bought that way) and the Winchester LP for a 2 years as well.

I load in the garage, and it was cold when I loaded up these 400 rounds.

Yeah I was playing it pretty close, but just used to knowing what to expect since from the Nowlin over the last several years never had and issue and always came up the same.

Door is open for you and Roy in A class at bitb, although Todd McGowan had a pretty solid match. The foot race stages are right up yours and Roy's alley in foot speed.

My Nowlin always has a higher velocity than my other barrels.

Yes, but my 70 series Colt with original Colt barrel runs the same as the Nowlin with this load over the Chrono, which is why when he went average of 822fps I was a little shocked.

Always check PF when switching guns and using the same load,I found that out last year at the Bluegrass. I had a load for my para I had been using a while and I used it in my kimber with a Wilson barrel and it chronoed 8PF higher than in my para.

Good shooting with you Friday Jake, going minor is a bummer. I looked back through my load data and found I use about the same load as you with clays. A 200 grain BBI with 4.4 grains of clays got me about 173pf so your 4.3 should have been about right around 168 or 9. I use Solo 1000 now but I know that clays load worked for years. That data was always fired from a 5 inch Les Baer P2.

Todd

Edited by TMcGowan

Good lesson in "Always chrono check your loads in the gun you are going to shoot"

I've had barrels from the same manufacturer vary by 30-50 FPS with the same load.

Weirdest one so far is a load that makes 173 PF from a 5" revolver, but 162 PF

from a 5" 1911. Still scratching my head on that one. :blink:

Have you chronoed your Nowlin at the same temp? Clays slows down at colder temps. :surprise:

+!

And is this the same lot of powder?

I have owned this Nowlin since 2002 and have shot it pretty much exclusively in major matches until 2008. This is the second 45 SS Nowlin, the first I had the same results.

In those 6 years in all kinds of temps and different powder lots I have gotten 168-169 everytime, and most of those times have been at a match that Ken was running chrono.

I have had the Colt over his chrono, same PF, and also a Smith & Wesson 1911 that has a Briley barrel in it same PF.

Oh well, yeah it cost me a few spots at the bitb, but like I said, better there than the Nationals next month. Up the charge some and good to go