Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullets sticking in JP chamber

caz41

I have a JP 18" .223 barrel with JP bolt and LMOS carrier on a BM upper receiver. The barrel and JP parts have at most 500 rounds through them. It all worked flawless from the start and then this past weekend when I went to unload a chambered round I was unable to pull the bolt back. I had to put some elbow grease to it and the round ejected. Working the bolt back and forth and I don't feel any resistance or anything grinding in there. When I chamber another round same thing happens. Upon inspecting the round after it kicks out there are some fairly deep gouges in the bullet. I know that the barrel lugs will put some minor scratches in a bullet but these are much deeper. It does this with MG reloads, Hornady reloads, XM193, etc... I case gauged the rounds, and the length is good also. I cleaned the hell out of the chamber and barrel lugs and it still does it. I looked with a light in the chamber and can't see anything that could be causing this. Here are some pictures. Any suggestions?

post-22235-052828100 1301619169_thumb.jppost-22235-023768200 1301619183_thumb.jppost-22235-086357500 1301619194_thumb.jp

This morning I was playing around with it, it again locked up on a chambered round. Again putting some elbow grease into it to open the bolt, when it did so the casing ejected, however the bullet stayed in. I am not sure exactly how far the bullet was in the chamber/barrel because the next round in the mag hit against it and may have pushed it further in.

If it's pulling the bullet out of the case, your chamber needs work. Send it back to JP, they'll fix it.

It only did it once so far. That is the plan at this point, no worries about them fixing it just wanted to see if there was something I was missing before I did so. Thanks.

My bet would be the ammo. If it was fine for the first 500 rds its doubtful the chamber changed. I would try some commercial ammo, not handloads or millsurplus.

How does it function when shooting?

My bet would be the ammo. If it was fine for the first 500 rds its doubtful the chamber changed. I would try some commercial ammo, not handloads or millsurplus.

It seems to function fine when shooting. The first 500 rds were with the same ammo (XM193 and handloads) and I did not have any problems during that time with that same type of ammo.

It seems to function fine when shooting. The first 500 rds were with the same ammo (XM193 and handloads) and I did not have any problems during that time with that same type of ammo.

If you are loading the ammo,,, are you using a Small base die????

I made the move to small base on all that I re-load,,

test,, black marker the whole round,, put in in a mag, and chamber it in the gun,,, if it will fit,, pull it out,,

then inspect the round,,, you will have your truth,,

Jim

Is it clean? I just shot my rifle in a match a couple of weeks ago. I had nothing but problems. I ran a bore snake down the barrel and thought it was good enough.

Turns out it wasn't. I cleaned the chamber and the bolt recess and lugs . Now it shoots like it always did. I got lazy and paid the price.

If you are loading the ammo,,, are you using a Small base die????

I made the move to small base on all that I re-load,,

test,, black marker the whole round,, put in in a mag, and chamber it in the gun,,, if it will fit,, pull it out,,

then inspect the round,,, you will have your truth,,

Jim

I am using the dillon .223 dies. It does the same with factory loads and reloads. Also all the rounds pass the JP case gauge.

Is it clean? I just shot my rifle in a match a couple of weeks ago. I had nothing but problems. I ran a bore snake down the barrel and thought it was good enough.

Turns out it wasn't. I cleaned the chamber and the bolt recess and lugs . Now it shoots like it always did. I got lazy and paid the price.

Clean enough to eat off it.

Stop torturing yourself, send it back to JP and let them pull out the heavy-duty inspection tools.

Not a bad idea to send photos and sample knarfed rounds with the rifle.

Monday morning it goes to JP. Just hope it's back in time for Blue Ridge!

In ref to it firing fine, think about the mechanics. When u are chambering the round (reload or factory) it is chambering and the bolt is locking, so headspace is within specs. That is why the rounds are passing guage check. The issue is that the bullet, the projectile itself, is being jammed into the lands of the rifling. (what the previous poster was saying about the throat being short) and what u are seeing as marks at the ogive of the bullet. upon releasing the charging handle to first chamber a round the resistance of this is undetectable to you, and when the round is fired, it works as advertised, albeit with higher pressure. If you decide to maually unchamber a round, the bullet is resisting your pull, as it is "jammed" into the lands and the neck tension/crimp is pulling on the jammed bullet. If you are pulling the charging handle, the handle pulls the Bolt Carrier Assembly, which forces the bolt to rotate and unlock, then moves rearward and using the extractor, pulls on the rim of the case. The case is then pulling on the bullet. Either the case neck tension/crimp wins and the case comes out with bullet (and land marks) or the lands win and u get empty case and powder spillin every frickin where.

Send it back. They will fixee. And send some sample bullets with marks.