Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Flip up Iron Sights for USPSA

Remington4Life

I just got a longer rail to increase my sight radius and now i need some new sights. I have been shooting iron sights for several months and although I want to get an optic, it is going to be another several months and maybe a new gun before I start shooting in a division with an optic.

I prefer the flip up style sights, but they will have to be my primary sights until i finally get an optic.

So my question is until then what are some recommended iron sights for shooting 3 gun on a club or small match level? Troy? magpul?(save money, yhm?

Im attaching a picture on the SAR rail I put on my gun.

SAR-mulit-01-webonly.jpg

Who's rail is that?

Also, the Magpul sites are ok backups but they are somewhat "combat" oriented, by which I mean they are not as rigid or solid you might want a match sight to be. For example, I have a front sight of theirs which when deployed I can push left to right a bit with my finger. Magpul is actually ok with this and expect that to happen. Its enough to change the point of impact by about 1inch at 50 yards.

I think from the one's I've handled Troy's are the most bullet proof, but also among the most expensive.

That is a spikes SAR rail.

I had flip up sights that were mounted to the gas block, I replaced the gas block with a low profile one and put the longer rail on so I could get my arm further out and have a longer sight radius.

I should have the gun back soon and can post a pic.

For a front sight I have a YHM front sight/gas block combo on my 3-gun rifle. It's a clamp on gas block with integral flip up sight. I used it last year but went to optics this year, so now it spends all its time folded down. At $70 or so I think it's a great deal. It never lost zero no matter how many times I flipped it up & down. The clamp on mounting allows you to make minor adjustments side to side so you can zero windage with your rear sight centered.

Is there a barrel mounted front sight that is not a gas block also?

Does it matter? The YHM ones for example are a very slim gas block and nothing says you have to use it a gas block.

So here is what i ended up with for now.

IMG-20110401-00005.jpg

I sighted in on the 50 yard yesterday (I know, I know, i will get it out to 200 or so yards but i didnt have a spotting scope) everything seemed to feel good and function well. Sorry for the crappy pic, GO Gators...

I think im gonna get some trigger time 1000 rnds or so and then start thinking about a new trigger.

I am running a spikes (seekins) BAR rail and sitting on it is troy DOA BUIS and they work great when I was shooting Irons. The zero never changed so that might only be because of other rails with some movement in them. I run optics now. I have seen guys knock their sights over when mounted on the barrel before so I think even if I were to run irons again I would still go with the same setup. This rail is the best I have used and I don't think there is to many I didn't try. The SAR is also built in Idaho by Seekins.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/spikes-tactical-12-bar-rail-p-448.html

Edited by strangedays

Just curious...... since an Aimpoint is legal now in Limited..... are irons kinda out? Would a T1 be a better idea?

Except they aren't, the rule only applies to Limited in 3gun, not limited in Rifle only, unless they've gotten around to fix that.

Just curious...... since an Aimpoint is legal now in Limited..... are irons kinda out? Would a T1 be a better idea?

Except they aren't, the rule only applies to Limited in 3gun, not limited in Rifle only, unless they've gotten around to fix that.

sorry, but not sure what you mean by "rifle only"? I do not know of any rifle

only matches....I thought we were talking about 3 gun?

T

Edited by Tattoo

Plus iron sights cost me $200 or less and an optic $500+ :surprise: I am excepting donations, but until then, im shooting iron.

Yeah money is more, but running a T1 is pretty cool.... maybe a used one?

T

For primary sights, I would not use flip ups or mount the front sight on the handguard...unless youwant to chase a wandering zero.

Needs to be fixed sights, front mounted on the barrel.

JMHO

JJ

This is the first time Ive ever head of this. Did this happen to you? Were you using a quality rail and sight?