Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why not a 4" for Rimfire Open?

RevolverJockey

I have a 3" open 22/45 that I use sometimes. I also have a 5.5" and 7" that is great so it's really what feels more comfortable. There a thread on here that discussed the pros v cons of the barrels lengths for rimfire pistols. Do you run a 4"?

I run a Buckmark with a 4" TacSol barrel and a custom made comp with an Optic. I also have a TacSol comp...neither comp does much (other than make the RO stand further away)

I also use a Buckmark in Irons with a 5.5" barrel. This is a non-threaded barrel.

I like my Steel guns to be light and to have a low 'swing weight'

At 75 feet from a rest they have virtually identical groups.

I was actually thinking of putting a steel AR comp to give a little more muzzle weight. Something like a JM or JP comp. Trouble is I don't have one laying around.

Lee

You want just the opposite of me;-)

I wanted light guns that swing fast for Steel Challenge and other rimfire matches.

With TacSol barrels and either TacSol or Hogue grips, they came out nice.

I was shopping for an aluminum comp...the TacSol just doesnt seem very effective.

I was considering the Nordic comp (I forget the name, but it's pretty small)

Then a gunsmith made me an aluminum one. It came out a bit larger than I wanted, and honestly, I cant really tell any difference. I've done drills on the timer using every possible configuration with and without comps...no consistant, measurable difference.

But chicks dig it.

Now I'm gonna experiment with lightening a slide...it never ends.

I am going to play with slide lighting as well. I have ready access to a mill so it shouldn't be much of an issue. I noticed allchin makes a large double chamber port similar to a thunder comp made of aluminum. I am going to making an order for a mount and may add this to the list.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

Initial results for the Allchin compensator are very good. I have about 500 rounds through it. Large open ports and looks to be easy to clean should it need it. Seems to port up a lot of gas and quite a bit of flame as well. I have tried theTactical Solutions and a few other homemade comps and this is the best so far. Of course .22s don't kick but the dot movement is very minimal and predicable. The first mag I ran after some test firing was a plate rack averaging .12 splits and 6 clean shots. The comp goes over the barrel and compresses an o-ring when it is installed. I don't know if the front sight can be installed when the comp is on. I am sure he took this into account, but I don't know for sure.

Lee

f4693e65.jpg

87369b5c.jpg

10b29d73.jpg

I have a 5.5" 22/45 with a C-more but my times are actually faster with my 4" 22/45 with a Burris FF2 due to weight. I can sling the 4" like mad because it's so light. I find the 5.5 with the heavier sight tends to make transitions slower as I have to compensate for the momentum/inertia of the heavier gun trying to make me over run the target.

• 1 month later...

Well I'm getting ready for some testing for an article that will be posted on RimfireCentral.com later this year. Ever since I started shooting rimfire steel I've wondered about the comp issue. I am getting donations of comp right now for this test. John Allchin sent me 2 of his to try out. I put one on my Buckmark and the other on my Rem 597 tactical rimfire steel rifle.

I shot our club bowling pin match last weekend with the Allchin comp on my BM and I have to say that subjective results are encouraging. It appears to me that the gun seems to be staying flatter than with either of the TS comps I have been using for the last year but until I put it into the test jig and actually try it out I can't be sure. I have really liked the TS 2211 steel comp on the end of the barrel. I have been swapping this out with the regular Trail-Lite comp about every month to see any differences in addition to balance. However I'm going to keep the Allchin comp on for awhile to see if there is any real speed difference. I'll let Robby shoot it and see if it feels different to him. Robby is going to be my test dummy (:lol:) for the subjective part of the test.

As for the question of the 4" barrel, whatever you like to shoot is the answer. BJ and I both independently started with 7.25" barrels on our raceguns and liked the balance (I had a VQ comp bored out to use on mine), but later found we shot faster with a 5.5" setup. In the case of rimfires the comps are working for sure if you have any barrel short of 10" and use CCI MM and probably CCI SV although I have not video'd the visible gas discharges seen with the different setups as yet. I have also tried a faster bullet behind slower powder, CCI Velocitor, to compare the gas discharge and recoil. Muzzle flip is similar to CCI MM but the recoil is slightly sharper and shorter in duration.

Initial results for the Allchin compensator are very good. I have about 500 rounds through it. Large open ports and looks to be easy to clean should it need it. Seems to port up a lot of gas and quite a bit of flame as well. I have tried theTactical Solutions and a few other homemade comps and this is the best so far. Of course .22s don't kick but the dot movement is very minimal and predicable. The first mag I ran after some test firing was a plate rack averaging .12 splits and 6 clean shots. The comp goes over the barrel and compresses an o-ring when it is installed. I don't know if the front sight can be installed when the comp is on. I am sure he took this into account, but I don't know for sure.

Lee

f4693e65.jpg

87369b5c.jpg

10b29d73.jpg

It looks to me like the front sight will fit with the Allchin comp with maybe a little trimming of the front edge. However I 'm not sure why you mention it since you can't use a comp in iron sight division anyway.

I have a 5.5" 22/45 with a C-more but my times are actually faster with my 4" 22/45 with a Burris FF2 due to weight. I can sling the 4" like mad because it's so light. I find the 5.5 with the heavier sight tends to make transitions slower as I have to compensate for the momentum/inertia of the heavier gun trying to make me over run the target.

Sounds about right. My iron sight BM (7.25" TS barrel) weighs in at around 20 oz unloaded while my open gun weighs 27 oz with an alloy comp on it. The steel comp on the end pushes the weight up to 30 oz. All weights are from my RCBS trigger gauge so I am using it in the relative sense.

I'm always amazed at how fast Robby can sling that relatively heavy gun that Scott of VQ built for him. Some weight has been pared off of it recently but it is still heavy to me. With me and that gun its not the braking but getting the big gun moving that is the speed restriction.

By the way if you are interested I've made a 90 degree laydown bracket for the C-More on my open rimfire gun. I've been using my prototype on my Browning for close to 3 months now getting used to it. The current model will attach to an Allchin mount for any gun John makes a mount for including the Buckmark, Ruger pistols and 10/22, and the S&W revolvers.

A standalone mount will come later. There are currently pictures on the Browning forum on Rimfire Central. I was really only doing this for myself like my mod for the *thumb rest [generic]* and the drilled and tapped slide racker I put on my Buckmark. But a couple of SC shooters using Quinn/Cheely mounts on their open guns saw pictures of my Buckmark and they wanted me to make one for their Buckmarks. I actually made mine because I'm taking delivery of an open gun with a Cheely mount and wanted to see if I liked laying the C-More on its side. Turns out I do. It's possible to shoot the gun even if the C-more fails (turned mine off to test it). Anyway I'm not exactly taking orders but I have enough material to make around 20 of them. If the demand is there I will look at doing a CNC version (unless I sell the design to someone).

....since you can't use a comp in iron sight division anyway.

You might want to check on that, I believe they are legal.

Yeah, they used to be allowed when it was called "Rimfire Optic" division. In the new rules, it's called Rimfire Open (for optics or comps) and Rimfire Iron (specifies no optic or comp or ports allowed - A.2.2)

I like the old rules better but they never asked me what I liked angry.gif

We shot our first steel match with the new comps we built and I was very impressed! I was Range Officer for our group and got a good close up of my girlfriends shooting. Barrel had little to no rise, and her overall performance was better. I asked her if she noticed a difference between her old slip on comp, and the new threaded one. She liked the threaded one better. On my gun, I did feel a noticeable reduction of recoil. I had several 2 second strings, and got some nice comments from the other shooters like "Wow your barrel is not moving when you shoot".

IMG_0608.jpg

I need to build the one I have designed for my 9mm Open gun!

Edited by Bansheex

<_< I guess the old guy thing is kicking in on me , just do not understand the ultralight gun thing.

I have weight added to the front of my 5"

Yeah, the idea is to get that swing moving from target to target and since you don't anticipate to shoot any follow-up shots (at least that's the plan), then on the swing, you can recover from the muzzle rise. The light guns help get to the next plate and stop in time without over-running it. I did this with two rifles I built, one at 6lbs and one at 4lbs. My times on most of the Steel Challenge stages were faster almost every time with the light rifle - the heavier one started to feel like a tank compared to the light one. I have four pistols set up now for Steel Challenge and will start doing the same test with them. Everything from a Ruger 22/45 with a 3" TacSol barrel to a M41 with a Bully so this should be fun.

I know you are a great shooter so with your experience, it might not be as much as a difference but for us mortals, it does help us get better and be competitive :)

Well I under stand ,kinda ,

what I do with the guns is tune the load to drive the gun. even my wife likes a more than light load to drive her 686 to the next target.

normally it translates to fewer misses. But at every match I get beat by shooters with misses

on rim-fire

STC has a four racks of targets 24 targets for the rim-fire shooter , we are limited to six round in a mag, so extra shots can eat up time.

my best feel and times have been with CCI Minny mags over standard loads

This is a game that has been shot many years and sometimes with lots of cash on the line for a good run for the team.

I think my opinion is shaded by history and seeing many shooters eat misses with light gun shot fast for a slow over all time. and two team mates waiting to get tagged off

This past month I have been prepping for STC so my thoughts are not so much for steel challenge, but a transition is a transition.

In regards to what Photoracer (Kent) my main man had to say about weight it really is dependent on the shooter. I like an all steel Gun that balances well, that is why I opted for steel over Volquartsen's aluminum upper or carbon fiber barrels. I realy say to find something that works best for you and stick with it. I shoot for Volquartsen and I believe that the best Ruger's for SC will be a middleweight gun that is well balanced. I use a 5.5 inch one piece custom lothar walther barrel with integral 32 hole comp made by Volquartsen.

It is not as light as Kent's gun however for my own particular taste in handles perfectly, and the true testament to it's quality and reliability is through the one behind the gun.

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to what Photoracer (Kent) my main man had to say about weight it really is dependent on the shooter. I like an all steel Gun that balances well, that is why I opted for steel over Volquartsen's aluminum upper or carbon fiber barrels. I realy say to find something that works best for you and stick with it. I shoot for Volquartsen and I believe that the best Ruger's for SC will be a middleweight gun that is well balanced. I use a 5.5 inch one piece custom lothar walther barrel with integral 32 hole comp made by Volquartsen.

It is not as light as Kent's gun however for my own particular taste in handles perfectly, and the true testament to it's quality and reliability is through the one behind the gun.

If I could bench press what you do at my age I'd probably like a big heavy gun also. Or if I bothered to lift weights again. :bow:

• 3 months later...