Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My magazines won't drop free

cuzinvinny

The magazines on my Baer Premier II won't drop free from the gun. When I press the mag release button the mag drops about 1/2" and then stays there. This happens when I'm actually firing the gun. Usually at an IDPA or USPSA match. Had it happen several time again today. Yet when I get home and check the magazine release it pops them out just fine. I am using the magazine that came with the gun, and 5 Chip McCormick 8 round power mags. I don't remember when this problem started but it seems to have gotten worse. Now none of the magazines will drop free. I'm also noticing that the slide will not stay open after firing the last round. Has anyone experienced this problem? Could these 2 problems be related?

I had the same problem, the problem was because if you push the mag release hard and hold it in it will catch the mag after about a 1/2 inch drop. It doesn't happen at home or at practice because you aren't under stress smashing the mag release. Try pushing it hard and holding it, see if that makes them stick. That was my problem. I don't know about the slide stop problem. Maybe someone else will chime in on that one.

sounds like mag release issues, did you take the slide off install a mag to see if it is fully seated contacting the slide stop. Might want to check mag release for burrs or broken. just my .02 hope it helps. :wacko:

oh and i would be shure to call les bear.

Edited by calvary45

I had that issue with the mag not dropping free intermittently, it ended up being me pushing the mag release too far which caused it to not drop free.

regarding your slide not locking back, it could be the magazine springs not having enough tension to move the slide stop up high enough. have you changed out the springs recently? when was the last time you cleaned your gun? sometimes things will gunk it up and not allow for proper functionality. When in doubt, oil the hell out of it.

Sometimes the Chip McCormick mags will let the follower go forward when the last round is fed out. The follower then drags on the frame. Your problem does not sound like the mag catch at all to me. I bet the mags never do it when there is a round left or when dry firing.

I usually have to "fix" my CM mags after every match. The feed lips tend to open up easily. Remove the spring and follower and lay them on a flat hard surface. Then get out the hammer and pound them into submission! :D (seriously)

I had the same problem with my Kimber last year. Had it at a gunsmith for a trigger job. With no ammo in the mag, the mags would fly out. When there was ammo in the mag, I had problems around 25% of the time.

Finally figured out the bullets I was using was hanging up on the slide release. After a quick (careful)dremel job on the slide release it fixed the problem. Hope this helps. I know I was tearing my hair out during the problem.

Used to happen to me, thought it was the trigger bow at first but after taking the slide off and just using a mag and the frame figured out it was happening when ever I was mashing the mag release button in all the way (like under match pressure)... took a half-round file to the mag release on the buttomnside inside the well where it would grab the mag and removed material until it could not happen, voila, now it doesn't happen anymore.

Edited by ck1

Thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty good about cleaning the gun and I prefer to run it wet with oil so that's not the issue. I tried pressing the mag release hard, and the mags still drop free. I tried putting the magazines in a vice to squeeze them back to shape, guess I might have to try the hammer. I will also contact Baer for their recommendation.

Thanks again,

Vince

Edited by cuzinvinny