Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp Research Cobra Mags

baron45

I am thinking of getting some 8 Rounder Tripp Research Cobra Mags for my STI Trojan 45 Caliber pistol.Has anyone out there ever have had experience with these mags?If yes,what do you think of them?Would you highly recommend them?Are they really worth their $44.00 price tags?How much better are they than the Chip McCormick Power Mags and Wilson-Combat 47D Mags?

THANKS.

baron45

Guest Larry Cazes

Since all of my Wilson 8 or 10 rounders feed 100%, what is the justification to spend more. My wife and I use them exclusively in our singlestacks. I get Wilson 10 round beaurocrats at Brownells for cheap. Are you having problems with yours or just wanna experiment?

since you're thinking tripp mag, trojan combo, don't forget to order the STI type ones if you're using STI's mag catch. The STI tripp mags have their mag catch notch a little higher to work with the STI mag catch.

I talked to the guys at tripp n' they say that people have had success just changing out their mag catch to a standard aftermarket mag catch in order to work with standard, 1911 mags (tripp, wilson, etc). A good thing to know if you're using the same mags on different pistolas.

Also, the tripp mags available through brownells are the standard 1911, non-STI mags.

Found 2 cents worth of info, so I just thought I'd share. :P

• 2 months later...

Has anyone out there ever tried out the Tripp Research Cobra Mags?You see,I am thinking of getting some for my 1911 45 caliber pistol.If yes,what do you think of the Cobra Mags?Would you highly recommend them?How do the Cobra Mags compare to the Wilson-Combat 47D,CMC Power Mags, and Metalform Magazines?

THANKS.

baron45

I don't have any in .45, but I do have 3 or 4 of the 10 round mags in 10mm. The quality is top notch. They run fine in both 10mm & .40 (long & short loaded .40s).

My McCormick mags work fine in .45 so I have not ever bothered trying anything else in that caliber.

Baron,

I did a simple SEARCH for "Cobra" and came up with all the threads that have talked about Cobra in the past...

Including the thread you posted a few months back, asking the same question. (which I merged with this one)

Try out the SEARCH function (maybe do 2 searches...one for cobra, one for tripp), read all there is to read. You should have a better perspective then, and more infomation to help you with your purchase decision.

(Be sure to read the thread that tells about the drop in price.)

In .45, I don't see much point in them if your gun runs with other magazines. If it doesn't, then you probably have a problem with your gun that is more fundamental than the mags.

In .40, they seem like an excellent step forward in enhancing reliability for single stack 1911s.

While I haven't received our order (for my wife Mag's) they are 28.95 each (got 6 for the 10 rds .40SW) the one order are the STI version. Will let you know when I get them.

Daniel D.

I bought some for my 3" 1911 Colt carry gun, compared to the factory mags (they say "Colt" but look exactly like McCormick’s) the little 45 run so much SMOOOOTHER! Unlike McCormick’s, they come apart easily for cleaning.

As soon as I get through this “jeez I can’t believe I’m so broke” phase I’m in, I’m going to order five 10 rounders for my 5”.

Ed

I bought some for my 3" 1911 Colt carry gun, compared to the factory mags (they say "Colt" but look exactly like McCormick’s) the little 45 run so much SMOOOOTHER!

It's possible you could have achieved the same result with an elevated mag catch (like the one STI puts in their Trojan). But if it works well, then that's the ticket!

We put about 300 rounds through the Cobra Mag without any problem, feed very well (on a Trojan 5" .40 SW). The wife find the last round hard t load...I have order her a new thumb :rolleyes:

Rhino, my purple friend, I could write a book (or at least a pamphlet) on how to make McCormick 10 round 45 mags run reliably. And yes, I have a JP elevated mag catch. And yes, I’m still buying some CobraMags. :)

I guess you’d have to hold a McCormick in one hand and a CobraMag in the other, push the followers up and down and take them both apart to see what I’m talking about.

The springs are getting tired in the McCormick’s and I was pestering Virgil about the release date of his “update kits” when he wrote me to say he’d lowered his pricing. My McCormick’s run fine (finally), but like ammo, you CAN’T have too many properly functioning magazines! ;)

Ed

Does anyone know if the 10mm/.40 mags will work in a single stack 2011 grip? There's a singlestack match coming up and I was thinking of springing for a single stack grip for my STI 2011 framed limited gun and I was wondering what mags I should get, Thanks.

I've finally decided to go with the Tripp Research Cobra 8 Rounder Mags.Placed an order thru the phone last week and spoke to Virgil Tripp himself.Very accomodating and very helpful even if I asked him some questions not related to his Cobra Mags.Truly,a very nice man.Ordered 5 Cobra Mags and had them shipped here to the Philippines by Global Priority Mail.Got them this morning and tried them out this afternoon.Shot 300 rounds thru them with no failures.Gonna call Virgil Tripp again tonight to order 6 more.

baron45