Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 with mr. bulletfeeder

I don't have a powder check or a bulletfeeder, but I've been visually inspecting the powder as the filled case arrives at station 3.

I was pondering the same question, but thought about doing a visual as the case comes off of the powder die at station 2 while priming, anyone doing this method?

Ill never replace the lock-outt die for a bullet feeder. Its already caught three mistakes. Really how fast can you pull the handle that you can't pop a bullet on. I just now got a case feeder after three months without one. I just can't see "safely" needing more

Kyle, i do it the same way. That being said, last night I caught an empty case heading to the bulletfeeder. Made me sit there and think..."How closely did I look at each and every case that just went through?" I ended up weighing all the rounds I had loaded.

edited to add, I hadn't missed any others so I guess my system works!

Edited by Neomet

IMHO If you can learn to pay attention to what you are doing and listen to the low primer and low powder buzzers and only stop reloading when the ram is in the up position then different crimp and size dies are better than a low powder die. However if you can't walk and chew gum at the same time then a low powder check die is probably better.

I have a 650 with bullet feeder. It makes a huge difference. It's not only about speed, it's economy of motion by not picking up and placing a bullet each time.

No low powder sensor. Just have to watch the case come in station 3 (uncomfortable to try to see in stage 2 because the press is on the right of my bench) and tighten the wing nut on the powder bar return apparatus every 100 rounds or so.

I would buy the bullet feeder again if needed.

IMHO If you can learn to pay attention to what you are doing and listen to the low primer and low powder buzzers and only stop reloading when the ram is in the up position then different crimp and size dies are better than a low powder die. However if you can't walk and chew gum at the same time then a low powder check die is probably better.

Walk and chew gum.... :lol:

My lock out die has caught a couple 380 cases also. If you never stop your motion, and you live all alone and never a chance you'll be interrupted while reloading then yes a powder check die or lock out die is worthless. Somehow by some strange reason a case doesn't get filled every once in a great while, not sure why, but it does happen to me. Though I am still trying to grasp the whole chewing gum and walking thing. So far I have been able to stand up :cheers:

Edited by sdm74

Why not just watch the powder bar go through its full length and return all the way?

The case will push the powder funnel up and the safety will pull it back, how simple is that otherwise you would feel a lot of resistance and surely you would know something was amiss. Golden rule of loading on any press, if you have to force it something is wrong.