Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

loads wll not load right

Hotsauce

Ok, I finally have had time to take a look at this. What is going on? I am stumped. All the measurements are within spec from the lyman book, but they still do not fit in the chamber. These do however fit in the magazine. I am using dillon dies with the crimper. And these are missouri bullet 200gr swc.

So here is a once fired shell from factory;

DSC_2031-1.jpg

And here are three pics of overall length, width at the top and width at the bottom.

DSC_2032-1.jpg

DSC_2033-1.jpg

DSC_2034.jpg

Any ideas why these are bulging and not going into the barrel?

DSC_2036.jpg

It looks like you need to have a crimp that is a little tighter. I would recrimp one and see if it slides all the way in. As I was establishing an appropriate OAL, I found that the lack of crimp would keep it from seating all the way. And if that is not it, you may need to shorten the OAL. One of the two should do it (hopefully the crimp since that is easier to change on multiple bullets).

I think I have it figured out. I guess I just was not crimping enough. I do not feel like changing everything around to see what the Rainer jhp bullets would do. I am going to shoot this first 50 and see how things go.

Also, I checked just about every other load grain and it varies quite a bit from 4.3-4.9 with this powder measure from Dillon. Is that about what to expect?

Also, I checked just about every other load grain and it varies quite a bit from 4.3-4.9 with this powder measure from Dillon. Is that about what to expect?

If you do everything consistently (force on the handle)

you should get more consistent results than 4.3 - 4.9.

It is difficult to get consistenly accurate weight

measurements froma beam balance scale - many things

will make same weight look different - try shooting

the 50 and see what type of accuracy you're getting -

if they're accurate, they are probably more consistent

than you're measuring. If not, then you have to work

on working the handle of the press more consistently

each time you load.

The crimp did do it, however now brass flakes are falling off each round and I can only get it down to .470

.470 is fine to too much. Rule of thumb is bullet diameter plus twice the case thickness. Hopefully you are seating the bullet as 1 step and crimping as another. Pro's and con's about using a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Personally I use one except when loading plated bullets.

Hotsauce,

Don't feel bad. For whatever reason I had quite a bit of trouble getting lead SWC's from Missouri Bullet to fit as well. I eventually got it but was so severely annoyed that I went ahead and paid the extra 2cents per round to upgrade to FMJ bullets the next go around.

I am not using a beam scale, I am using a digital lyman, so my weights I assume are accurate.

I don't use a digital, but from what I've read here,

many people have had problems reading their digital scales.

Things interfere such as draft, batteries, etc.

4 grains of powder is a very tiny amount - very hard to measure

to 0.1 grains, accurately. But, that's just one possibility -

another is not using a consistent throw (or pull of the lever)

when you're reloading.

Could be others as well - but you shouldn't have such a large

difference from load to load.

What powder are you using and how much?

I am not using a beam scale, I am using a digital lyman, so my weights I assume are accurate. I am also not using a lee crimp die, I am using the dillon crimp die that came in the 45 auto 3 die set.

Sounds a lot like your scale could be drifting. Have you weighted the same charge 10 times in a row to see if it's always the same?

I am not using a beam scale, I am using a digital lyman, so my weights I assume are accurate. I am also not using a lee crimp die, I am using the dillon crimp die that came in the 45 auto 3 die set.

Sounds a lot like your scale could be drifting. Have you weighted the same charge 10 times in a row to see if it's always the same?

Yes, I have reweighed items many times. The powder I am using is 700x.

I see a possible case bulge where the bullet ends.

Mark your dummy round with a magic marker, plunk in barrel, and rotate round a little. You will get a "scrape" mark where the round is hanging up.

With lead bullets, it is very important to expand the case (not just bell the case mouth but expand the section of the case where the bullet goes) to within 0.002" of bullet diameter. If your bullets are 0.452", then the case should be expanded to 0.450-0.451". If not, the bullet will expand the case unevenly and you will get a case bulge where the case wall is thinnest. You can/will also swage the bullet down in size and start getting leading in the barrel and inaccurate groups.

As far as taper crimp goes, you should be able to feel a smooth transition from the bullet ogive to the case mouth and yet, if you run your thumb nail down the bullet, the nail will still "catch" on the case mouth.

Finally, your bullet seems to seated slightly deeper than I would consider optimum.

Almost any powder will give produce at least +/- 0.2gn charge weight and generally even closer. Don't think I read what measure you are using, but consistency is very important. If a manual measure, then you should rotate the handle and tap it twice, and when you return the handle do a couple of taps. This helps settle powder consistently. If using a beam balance, be sure it is at eye level so you can see it easily without parallax. If measure is mounted on the press, there should be enough "bumping" to help settle the powder, but, again, you must be consistent in cycling the press.

The good news is that exact powder weight is NOT as significant as most people worry about, but you should still be within +/- 0.2gn or better.