Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

strange headstamps

sdm74

Is there a thread on here about this? I ordered some once fired brass and recived a few I never seen before.. examples. +p. With some stars on it...wcc 10 ... s+b 60 9x19..wcc 09..wcc 02 thaos are the ones iv found so far. Any info or if you could point me to the thread on here

Thanks

Steve

Nothing strange at all ! Just some mixed WW Mil brass from different production years. Some +P ( + pressure) usually self defense type loads. S&B ( Sellior & Bellot) and Starline it seems like. This is just the beginning, thers 100's of different head stamps.

Nothing strange at all ! Just some mixed WW Mil brass from different production years. Some +P ( + pressure) usually self defense type loads. S&B ( Sellior & Bellot) and Starline it seems like. This is just the beginning, thers 100's of different head stamps.

Even the wcc 10 and wcc 02 thought it was strange that it didn't have at least 9 on it.

Thanks for the info

WCC Win Cartridge company These will be military crimped and you will have to ream or swage to get a new primer in. And the numbers are the year of production. As a matter of fact I have found the general rule to be anything with a year on it is military and crimped. Search google for headstamps or something along those lines. There are websites dedicated to listing the various ones.

Even the wcc 10 and wcc 02 thought it was strange that it didn't have at least 9 on it.

Thanks for the info

They don't necessarily stamp 9mm or so on cases, here is an example:

P1000251.jpg?t=1300253226

The case in that picture was produced in 1969 from the looks of it. I learned the hard way how old cases are when I had a blowout. Luckily there was no damage to my gun or me. The case that blew on me was a WRA 69. Winchester Repeating Arms made in 1969. The stars usually mean starline. The newer starline cases usually have star-bar-star as the headstamp. I have never had issues with the WCC primer pockets (in .45) but I'm not sure about 9mm.

The case in that picture was produced in 1969 from the looks of it. I learned the hard way how old cases are when I had a blowout. Luckily there was no damage to my gun or me. The case that blew on me was a WRA 69. Winchester Repeating Arms made in 1969. The stars usually mean starline. The newer starline cases usually have star-bar-star as the headstamp. I have never had issues with the WCC primer pockets (in .45) but I'm not sure about 9mm.

The cross inside the circle indicates the round will fit in any NATO 9mm chambered handgun. D. A. is a Canadian headstamp.

The cross inside the circle indicates the round will fit in any NATO 9mm chambered handgun. D. A. is a Canadian headstamp.

Yes! This too!

Sorry....not the star on the case in the picture, but the star in general with a bar, then another star indicates starline. The "star" looking thing in the picture is the NATO indication.

A D.A. marked case is from Dominion Arsenal in Canada, the 1967 is the year of manufacture (not 69), the cross in the circle indicates that the original ammunition was loaded to NATO specifications. These cases are heavier than commercial U.S. 9mm ammunition and require load development. If you just dump a bunch of fast burning powder in the case & squish a bullet in place, you're almost guaranteed to have high pressure issues. Just like with rifles, military pistol cases are different.

A D.A. marked case is from Dominion Arsenal in Canada, the 1967 is the year of manufacture (not 69), the cross in the circle indicates that the original ammunition was loaded to NATO specifications. These cases are heavier than commercial U.S. 9mm ammunition and require load development. If you just dump a bunch of fast burning powder in the case & squish a bullet in place, you're almost guaranteed to have high pressure issues. Just like with rifles, military pistol cases are different.

OOPS! Yes! 1967. Sorry about that.

I found a neat one I saved recently from range brass. Its 38 Special and is only marked with "38 SPL" on the back, no other company information. Its not that it wore off, its just not there.