Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA 1911 OR GLOCK

Malfunction

I honestly don't want to start a war, I would just like some of the reasons why you think a 1911 or a glock is the best for me. I am not a highly skilled shooter although all of you have helped a lot. I have a goal to find an IDPA club this spring, I live in the S.F. bay area so that is not an easy task.

I will begin by saying I have shot a glock a lot and I like them, however I recently shot a friends 1911 and wow what a trigger, my glock friend tells me I should stick with glock because for a beginner they are easier to clean and maintain. I will really appreciate an honest evaluation, I trust your opinions.

Shoot the pistol you like the best, it really is that simple. :) You might want to check out the "pointability" of the two platforms. Many Glock shooters find 1911 points a bit low. Cleaning and routine maintenance really isn't an issue. I am not at all mechanical and I can manage to strip, clean, and lube a 1911.

Have you decided what caliber you want to shoot - this will have a big impact on the decision.

If you want to shoot 45ACP, get a 1911.

If you want to shoot 9mm, get a Glock 34

If you want to shoot 40S&W get a Glock 35

Since you live in the PRC I'm guessing you will not be carrying the gun for protection.

The trigger can be nice or horrible on both styles of gun, my fairly stock 1911 9mm thas a 4 1/2# trigger, my very custom G-34 has a 1 5/8# pull.

Everyone has made good points, I would stress what Ron said.

Find which gun points the most naturally for you. For me it is the Glock, to shoot a 1911 well, I use an arched mainspring housing. This gives the 1911 a grip angle much closer to the Glock.

To test this use a holster and an empty gun. Draw to your shooting stance. If your wrist feels like it is under tension or twisting to get the sights in postion, try the other gun and compare. The one that is more comfortable will most likely give you the best results at high speed.

Everyone should own a 1911. You will, eventually.

However, 1911s are more expensive than Glocks, and .45 ammo is a lot more expensive than 9mm if you don't reload your own.

If you have access to a Glock, I would use that until you have a few matches under your belt, see what other people shoot, and get an idea of where you want to go with it. Then, when you've saved enough money, get a Dillon reloading press, and buy yourself a nice 1911 :D

A Glock won't be a bad initial investment, though.

DogmaDog

One of the nice things about this board and IDPA is that folks are really open- minded about equipment. I own several 1911 guns but find that the Glock 9MM is easier on my wore-out hands. I have always maintained that the right weapon (for anyone) will feel like shaking hands with an old friend. If you have access to rental guns try them all before you buy.

Be safe, have fun,

Geezer-lock

• 5 months later...

If you practice enough either gun will point for you. I switched from 1911 to G23 40 SW because it is amazingly reliable. Over 45K rounds and 1 malfunction, the slide stop lever spring broke and locked the slide back.

I will say that I'm not impressed with the Glock 40 SW barrel, I fired 2 full power loads thru the G barrel looked at the brass and wouldn't shoot it again until a KKM barrel was installed.

I should add, I could find nothing wrong with the 9mm barrel on my G17.

You didn't say if price was an issue. 9mm ammo that is reasonably close to power factor is far cheaper in 9mm than .40 or .45. Most cheap 115gr FMJ ammo will work just fine.

Here's a list of all the stuff to start shooting IDPA on a budget.

Refurbished Glock 17 9mm with 2 magazines- $350

Spare G17 magazines (3) @ $17/ea - $51

Unkle Mikes injection molded holster - $20

Unkle Mikes injection molded double magazine carrier - $20

Wildernes Equipment 1.5" 5-stitch belt - $40

Remington ear/eye protection kit - $30

Small range bag - $30

Winchester USA 115 gr 9mm [500 rounds] (10) @ $6/ea - $60

At a local gunshow around here this would total about $650 total with tax and everything.

This setup will take you a long way in IDPA SSP and costs less than many other options. Plus a Glock 17 will take a beating and are easy to maintain and repair if needed.

----

However if price is not an issue then I would shoot different guns and figure out what you like first. I like both 1911's and Glocks. They are both nice weapon systems. I have a lot more time and money in my 1911's but I still like them.

It is more likely you will have problems with reliability out of the box with a 1911. The chance of these problems increases if you don't get the 1911 in .45 ACP (assuming a standard single stack).

I shoot both in IDPA

Kimber 1911 in .45acp for CDP

Springfield 1911 in .40 for ESP

Glock 35 for SSP

Can't forget, S&W 686 in .38 Super for SSR

I shoot 1911's most of the time because that's what I carry on my CCW.

Yes, Gun Geek, I live in California and have a CCW. :rolleyes:

Our Sheriff is pretty good about it.

Like everyone else said, shoot what you like and shoot the best.