Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EMP 9 any good?

steviesterno

Hey all,

I know this isn't really much of a competition pistol (except maybe IDPA BUG stuff) but I have the chance to trade a gun I like (Kimber UC II) for a like new SA EMP9.

it would be my EDC when I can hide bigger stuff, as I hide the LCP when I can't. Just wondering if anyone has any experience, good or bad.

Yes I know I'm going 45-->9, but I don't mind carrying the 9, and just found out the UC has a 2" barrel! what kind of velocity would that even be :(

I had one and it was terrible out of the box. Shot way left and way low.FTF,FTE, slide binding on the ejector and actually wearing it. Sent it back to Springfield and it took them five weeks to repair it and get back to me. They replaced the slide, the sights were so far off,polished the feed ramp,tuned the ejector and a couple other things . To there credit it worked fine when I got back. Never trusted it again, so I sold it. Guy who bought it loves it. Lot's of people have problems with them out of the box. Seem's like a 50/50 chance. You get a good one or bad one. Way too much money for a pistol with that many problems

I do custom work them and only had one that needed extra tweaking to run 100%. The fit on these guns is tight so it takes a few rounds to break in. They are very accurate guns for such a short barrel. There has been guns sent back because of malfunctions but I would say some of them are sent back because the shooter just doesn't use the proper ammo, doesn't shoot enough rounds to break them in. The EMP is a far better gun than the Kimber.

Rich

My EMP 9 runs like a top, feels great in the hand, and is accurate out to 50 yards.It's small enough for carry, but comfortable enough to spend an afternoon running it at the range. I'd highly recommend it.

Ok, glad to hear it. I like, but don't love kimbers.

But I have been wanting a 9mm platform 1911 for a while, and this should hold me over. Plus I like the idea of 9+1 rounds, vs the 6+1 i was getting.

will this work in my 1911 holsters?

I've had a number of the EMPs in my classes.... the ones with less than a few hundred rounds through them were not reliable enough to be a EDC. They seem to require a lot of break in. (FTF FTE problems)

And no... the EMP frame will not fit in a standard 1911 holster..

Edited by MichiganShootist

well I have no problem blowing a ton of rounds through something to break it in... I've seen me do it! Good to know about the reliability and stuff, I appreciate it. I'm used to having some issues with smaller guns. The pm9 I had was "sticky" until it hit about 400 rounds. after that, it was smooth as butter.

All things being said, I'd probably consider another one. I think the .40 cal is probably more reliable due to the straight round versus the tapered 9mm. I think the 40's feed better. It did feel really good in my hands and shot great when it worked. Go to the 1911 forum as they have a thread going on EMPs and some of there issues. http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=257261 STI is supposed to be coming out with a sub compact Spartan in 9mm also. That would be worth looking at also

Edited by Marv Z

• 2 weeks later...

my friend just bought one for his wife's purse/car, and we shot 250 rounds of umc 115 grain through it this weekend.

no failures but when his wife shot it the slide did not lock back twice. It ejected just didn't lock the slide back. I'm sure it was a grip issue.

BTW liked it alot.

• 2 months later...

:cheers:

There has been guns sent back because of malfunctions but I would say some of them are sent back because the shooter just doesn't use the proper ammo, doesn't shoot enough rounds to break them in.

Hello;

I recently acquired an EMP 9mm and was curious about your statement above in regards to using the proper ammo. Could you please expand on this a little more and if possible, what ammo should be run through her?

Thanks for your helps with this!!!

P.S.: I saw the one on your web site and that EMP looks absolutely amazing!!! The EMP already shoots very nice out of the box, but after your work it must be a dream!!!

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:cheers: