Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new to shotgun

kschwan

Hello,

I am looking to start shooting in 3gun matches and just got a Rem 1100 CM. I have a few questions that I am hoping I can get some help with.

1. What type of shotgun shells should I buy. I have heard that I need to have 6 and higher

2. What brand and place to buy can you suggest?

3. It came with a 3gun gear sidesaddle is this good enough or should I buy a plastic one?

4. How may shells do I need to be able to carry on any one stage?

Thanks again for all your advice.

Thanks

Kschwan

Your answers:

1) I like 7.5's myself. You will also need slugs. Federal Tactical or Winchester Ranger low recoil seem to be popular.

2) For shot, I like Wal-Mart. Federal valuepack 7.5 / 3 dram loads. Winchester AA superhandicap loads are my favorite but a little more $. For slugs, the Federal Tactical are available from Ammo Man.

3) Sidesaddle is good but a lot of the limited/tactical guys like the belt mounted CCW Speed Strippers.

4) this varies greatly but 16 to 32 is pretty normal.

Kschwan,

1,2. Birdshot: Remington #7.5, 3 1/4 dr, 1 1/8 oz (I think they are Heavy Dove loads) at my local Academy for $3.89/box. Some buckshot in case there are longer range, steel targets. I am shooting up a variety of reduced recoil 00B, but some suggest using #4B because it may spread better (need to test the patterns). Slugs: Remington Reduced Recoil from Sportsman's Guide, but I have used Federal "Tactical" slugs, although that was before I got the CM. (What is "tactical" about reduced recoil? I digress...).

3. I have used armband and sidesaddle. Even both may not hold enough rounds to complete some stages, even starting with 9 in the gun, so I will probably add a belt carrier. I shot a stage which required slugs, then birdshot, then slugs. Keeping enough shot handy but having a separate location for slugs would have been good for that stage. For shotgun-only stages, you have much flexibility. With multi-gun stages, keep in mind you may be carrying long gun(s) and handgun and ammo for all. So where to carry it all?

4. What warpspeed said. Seems like I heard of a match with a 35-40 round stage, but I cannot find a reference now.

Somewhere along the way I realized I am using both slugs and shot from Remington, so they are both green, and it is easier to accidently load a slug for a shot target, or vice versa. I am thinking about color-coding, so maybe shot or slugs will get a change.

Lee

lmccrock,

In stages were you shoot Birdshot then slugs then birdshot what choke do you use? I have shot pistol and rifle for a while now but this is my first shotgun. The CM cam with a mod, Imp cyl and rifled. I would think on a slug only stage the rifled but I am not sure on a mixed stage

Thanks.

I've had good luck shooting slugs through an IC choke. That is also the choke you'll use on most COFs.

I have run rifled slugs through modified and full chokes but they don't pattern as well.

Loading prefrences are many and varied and have been coverd well in previous posts.

Good luck.

Dave

I would think on a slug only stage the rifled

I defer on this one, but the collective wisdom is to never use the rifled choke for 3-gun when the slugs are already rifled. Stick to the IC or modified. The rifled choke is for other (non-rifled) slugs.

It might be best to find a place where you can sight it in with different chokes, and pattern the shot.

Oh, yes, and be sure to screw the choke in tightly before the match.....

Lee

IIRC, the RRRS-12 (that's Remington Reduced Recoil 12 ga Slugs, which I am too lazy to type) packaging says:

- they work with rifled chokes

- they work with cylinder bore through modified constriction chokes

- they work best with IC chokes

And I think that pretty much applies to all 12 ga Foster-type slugs.

John Shaw did a lot of testing and found that modified chokes shoot slugs about the best. Of all the chokes I have shot Lt Modified to Modified produced the very best slug groups. I even had a full choke Ithica 37 that would shoot 1 hole groups at 50 yards with Remington slugs. I wouldn't worry about the constriction of the choke...just find what your particular choke likes! KURTM

Eric, Eric, Eric...... Hey... that's my brothers name also....except for the Warren part :rolleyes: I DON"T swap chokes!! I silver soldered a Light Modified into my barrel just so I would NEVER be tempted to to the "swapping" thing. Since Todd Salmon let the cat out of the bag ( with that insipid article in front sight) while I was in Italy; I will now admit that for years I have used spreaders for close stuff, just like the high speed Sporting Clays shooters told me to do 5 years ago :D I so far have over 8 cases of slugs through that shotgun along with a modicome of shot, and it is still a 20 penny nail driver (it just doesn't sound propper to drive tacks with a shotgun) KURTM

Another thing to think about in choke selection when using slugs-if you shoot a Browning Gold, the barrel is backbored-meaning on the average it is .012 larger(.741 for a Gold) than a Rem or other non-backbored barrels. Basically-the accuracy actually degraded with any choke tighter than I.C.-and Cyl seemed to be the most accurate of all I have tried with this particular gun. There is less compression of the rifling on the slug, yet enough to maintain stability. It seemed the tighter choke I tested, the groups grew larger, probably do to the last second compression and gyroscopic precession.

About time you got a good picture of a AH6 as an Icon!!! death to the "jet ranger"!!! Long live the AH6 unloading the rockets!!! KURTM

P.S. are you going to make the Texas 3-gun?

Kurt-

Not sure which one's I can make. Going to Jeff's this weekend(you slacker), then the TN 3 gun, then it's up in the air. Remember, if you're out this away-mi casa es su casa.

JL

Kurt,

Whats the story on texas, its a long way from nowhere for me to get there and I heard they don't do normal prize table more like a bingo hall? Would like to go but its a tough trip to support going home empty handed. B) You should see my new Gold from Rockin H tactical, its a one of a kind, I have to practice just so I don't make it look bad!

Benelli2,

Yes, San Angelo Texas is a long trip from a lot of the world. But it will be worth it!

The Texas State 3-Gun match is a trophy-only match. Last year we had some really nice wooden trophies, this year we have some custom made medallions (and chocolate Easter bunnies) for winners. We have (both years) received really good support from a lot of sponsors and had a lot of nice stuff on a prize table. The prizes however, are awarded through random drawing.

For us, the prizes are just a bonus. If you win your class/division/special category you will be recognized with a worthy trophy/medallion. The prize table is just for fun.

Down here in the wilds of West Texas we purely love shooting. For us it's all about the shooting. If you want to shoot a fun/challenging/interesting match and spend the weekend with a bunch of like-minded shooters the Texas State 3-Gun is for you. If you are more interested in the amount of loot you take home for winning - there are other matches that will be of more interest.

Cheers,

Kelly McCoy

First off....I need to say....there is no semi auto shotgun that is really better than the other. They all will puke on you sometime (and probably in a match)....period.

That being said.....I do shoot the Remington 1100, the biggest reason, outside the obvious is that that there are more accessories made for that one than any other. Also, I don't think that anyone can 'over shoot' an 1100.....even superman (Jerry Miculek) uses a remington....and has no shot to shot problems.

We spend 2K to 3K on our pistols and rifles.....but cringe at spending alot on a shotgun......AND maintaining it. You have to maintain it as much or more than your other weapons.

A couple things you need to know about shotgun.

1). AMMO --- When you find the ammo that works the best.....DO NOT change....buy cases of it. I've seen shotguns go down because the person ran out of his 'normal' ammo then bought something else before the match......you wouldn't do this with your rifle or pistol ammo.....don't do it with your shotgun ammo.

2) MAINTAINENCE --- Take it apart and clean it, oil it!!! make sure it functions afterwards.....I do not go to a match with a clean shotgun.....I normally will shot 4 or 5 rounds thru it after cleaning it......It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

3) LOADING (and opinion time)--- Most shotgun stages are pretty much won or lost on reloading....so don't waste time....or money here. It you have belt or banolier or something attacthed to the side of your shotgun, you are loading one at a time.....so you are going back and forth. I use a Choates shell caddy (actually 4 of them) on my belt.....I can grab 3 shells at once.....and load them in. MUCH FASTER than getting one, load it, get another one load it. Bascially, I'm only going to my belt for ammo 1/3 the time.....so I am saving time.

-----speed loaders for Open....only one thing to say there....practice, practice, practice, practice, dump shells on the ground and practice some more. I carry 6 of those things when I shoot open and still have 2 shot shell caddys (just in case....and normally a REAL thing!!!)

So......that being said.....I am going to shoot in the HE-MAN class this year at a couple matches.....and will be using a (of all things) a Mossberg 590 (becasue hopefully, next year this division will be pump anyways) and shooting the Winchester feather wt loads for birdshot and Remington Reduced Recoil slugs. Was never much of a fan for the Mossbergs for obvious reasons....BUT, the 590 take care of those (aluminum trigger housing, steel safety and holds 9 rounds). The part that intrigued me most is that there is NO loading gate......this has really made my reloading alot faster!!!