Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to intall a variable recoil spring

Puma

I would like to know how to determine which end of a variable power recoil spring goes towards the front of the gun and which goes towards the back.

Of course the end having the most resistance goes towards the back but at times it is difficult to feel this.

Am I wrong to assume that the end of the spring with the coils closer together goes towards the back of the gun ?

Now I am confused for I have gotten different responses.....one person says the close end with the coils closer goes closest to the grip while the second says the opposite. Can somebody please explain....: )

Look at it this way: ignore the coil spacing or which way the spring is oriented relative to you. The closed end goes against the flange on the guide rod, the open end goes against the recoil spring plug. Simple. Or you could look at it as, "Slip the closed end on the guide rod first." Variable power or conventional doesn't really factor into it - it's the same with either type of spring.

The end that is a smaller diameter (yes there is one) goes on the guide rod first. One end will slip over the guide rod easily, this is the open end. The end that takes a bit of pushing to get it all the way down the rod is the closed end and goes on first and sits next to the guide rod head. The free (open) end has to be at the front of the guide rod.

Pat

• 4 weeks later...