Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stubborn Gas Block

CutterH

I am having some problems removing a stubborn gas block, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I recently purchased one of the new Firebird/Carbon Arms carbon fiber handguards to replace the 13.2" LaRue rail that is currently on my LaRue Stealth upper that I use for 3-Gun. I have swapped numerous gas blocks and handguards before, so I assumed this would not present any problems. After removing the handguard, I attempted to loosen the set screws on the LaRue gas block. They wouldn't budge, so I used a heat gun for a few minutes to try and loosen them up. After heating the block, apparently I tried too hard and broke off an allen bit in the set screw. I tried unsuccessfully for an hour trying to remove the stubborn piece, but all it did was dull my drill bits and resist every other attempt. That was all last weekend. This morning I picked up where I left off and was able to remove the other set screw by heating it with a torch and applying a tremendous amount of force. I still could not get the broken bit out, so in my frustration I used a cutting disk and slotted the set screw (and put a nice slit in the gas tube). This allowed the broken bit pieces to fall out so I could try again to loose the set screw. Unfortunately, I could not get the screw to budge. Now I'm stuck with the LaRue barrel nut and a hacked up gas block.

My question for you is what else can I do, or more likely, who can I send this to in order to get this wretched piece of metal off of my barrel?

My advice...and trust me I've been there before with the LaRue stuff, is to either send it to LaRue and let them remove it or take it to a qualifie gunsmith. The LaRue uppers are put together like cement and I dung the crap out of a gas block trying to get it off. They use red loctite on the screws and I have also found they use it on the space between the barrel and gas block as well, making it a real pain

Jacob

There is a technique called grinding to the "blue line in the world of removing stuck fasteners, specifically nuts from studs/bolts. When using a high speed grinding device sufficient heat is generated to turn the metal "blue" as it gets really thin but before grinding through to the piece you want to reuse (the barrel). In the fastener world this technique is used to grind slots in nuts that are frozen to bolts and once ground to the blue line on both sides of the nut it can be broken" in half/removed. So what I would do is take a cut-off wheel and grind along the gas block on opposite sides parallel to the barrel to the blue line then add some torch heat and remove. There is a chance the grinding wheel will make incidental contact with the barrel, you will have to decide if this is OK. For me I would not sweat it because barrels are commonly machined, drilled slotted and some small grind marks will not alter the barrel molecular structure. The instructions to install my YHM low profile gas block directed the use of Locktite 620, a bonding compound for near press fit joints. It is heat resistant to 400 degrees. Red Locktite also requires >400 degree for removal. So if it was installed with either of these you will need to heat with a torch. Why not call and ask how they would remove it? My guess is they would have heated it. There may also be a solvent to remove the Locktite, but you would need to find out exactly which Locktite product they used.

Your results may very!

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

Thanks for all of the help guys! I ended up going through 4 drill bits before I finally gave in and emailed Jim at Firebird. I was about to break out the cut-off wheel when Jim emailed me back with an extremely reasonable price and the assurance that it would be done right. Needless to say, I shipped the upper to New Mexico today and I'm anxiously awaiting its return.

The upper came in at one this afternoon

A little mill work...a few choice words :blink:

The assembly shipped at four twenty, new handguard and gas block firmly attached

Now that's impressive. I cannot thank you enough, Jim. You have yet another loyal customer.

To whoever searches for and finds this thread in the future, sometimes you just have to know when to throw in the towel. What took me about 12 hours and probably a few more choice words than Jim, took him just a couple of hours, and that included fitting the new receiver extension to the receiver.