Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness 40 cracked slide

JJH

We have all heard the reports of cracked slides on the Witness Steel in 10 and 40, well mine just joined the club. I have around 2000-2500 rounds down the pipe. All factory loads, never have put a handload down the pipe. Off EAA it goes >:(

Worst part, I was just taking it to the range for one last ride. My new small frame came in yesterday, and I am picking it up tomorrow. I was just planning on selling it this weekend. I hope EAA turns it around fast >:(

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

I owned 2 at one point, now I own none. One of my friends who shoots these had his crack (in a different spot)so I x-rayed it for him and it had porosity in the area of the crack. It is definately a problem that won't go away until they change their forming process. Why it occurs on some and not others, from a materials standpoint, has to do with the stress level of the loads fired AND the actual location of the voids in the metal. If you have a void right at the point with the sufficient, CRACKO.

As for turn-around time, I would not cross my fingers. The few guys that have fought with them over it and got their slides replaced spent months. My buddy even sent them the x-ray and still had to fight with them. He has not gotten a new one yet.

BTW, failures like this are pretty much what I evaluate for a living.

Edited by MarkCO

• 2 weeks later...

7 days from my UPS depot back to my front door. I specifically requested an older square top slide, and they did go ahead and install a new square top, and a new barrel. I forgot to ship a mag in the gun, and they shipped it back with a new mag as well.

Thanks EAA!

I would have to agree Nealio. I am wondering how much of this has to do with the rumors of a new importer coming into the game :surprise: I recently sent an email off to Tanfo becuase I want a hat and shirt. These was their exact respopnse:

we received your message and we thank you.

Please wait for a while and there will a company

in the USA where you can find Tanfoglio parts,

accessories and clothing.

It will be advertised in the next weeks.

Best regards

FRATELLI TANFOGLIO S.N.C.

Awesome! I've been wanting to get some Tanfoglio gear myself. Thanks for sharing. :)

Hey, also could you answer a couple questions for me:

What ammo were you shooting mostly before the slide cracked? (competition handloads, defense, bulk FMJ?)

Could you tell if the slide had been hitting the frame at all? (ie was the face of the dust cover on the slide peened or shiny from impact)

Thanks!

Awesome! I've been wanting to get some Tanfoglio gear myself. Thanks for sharing. :)

Hey, also could you answer a couple questions for me:

What ammo were you shooting mostly before the slide cracked? (competition handloads, defense, bulk FMJ?)

Could you tell if the slide had been hitting the frame at all? (ie was the face of the dust cover on the slide peened or shiny from impact)

Thanks!

For ammo, it was exclusively Federal (my employer) Self defense rounds. At most 200-300 FMJ's, just becuase the SD loads are cheaper for me.

In my inspections I saw ZERO slide or frame peening prior to that range session. I did not look at that before I shipped it off, but had just done a pretty thurough inspection after the previous range session.

• 2 weeks later...

I owned a .40 Witness and it had a cracked slide which I didn't notice until AFTER I purchased!! What is it with the .40 S&W!?

An insight into gun retailers and their customer service. USUALLY they are at least interested in the shooting sports. SOMETIMES they have loads of technical experience, but more than likely, they are just filling a position and answering your questions. The guys who do the rebuilds are usually not the ones answering your questions. So while it can be hard to get through to someone, being a bit persistent can pay off. (or backfire! :-) The "sales type" aren't usually also the technical type. But sometimes you get lucky.

Good to hear someone there addressed your problem, honored your requests and corrected the problem.

My guess is they just under-spring the 40's and 10's from the factory. The factory spring is only 12lbs for 40, and 14lbs for 9mm and 45.

From Wolff's web site

"Standard Size Models

Factory Rating: 14 Lb. - 9mm, .45 ACP, Super .38 and 10mm

Factory Rating: 12 Lb. - .40 S&W all models except CZ

Factory Rating: 16 Lb. - .40 S&W - CZ Only

Factory Rating: 13 Lb. - CZ 97 .45 ACP"

Seems odd the factory spring is 16 for CZ and Tanfo is only 12. 40S&W runs pressures up to the neighborhood of 27k, while 9 runs up to 30k. So in theory you would need just as heavy if not a heavier spring. My new Witness classic is getting at least a 16, and 18 if it cycles and my front site comes down in a timely manner.

I think it has more to do with an issue with how the barrel is fitted to the lugs in the slide and the timing of the "Kidney" in the base of the barrel. Where your slide cracked has nothing to do with the tension of the recoil spring. A gun with a properly fitted barrel can use whatever weight recoil spring that still allows it to cycle correctly and still not cause the type of crack you experienced.