Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different generation of Glock

jaffo

Sorry for the questions but I searched and didn't find what I was looking for.

What are the differences in the different generation of glock? I have a lot of handguns, but no glocks and I'm interested in the Glock 21-45ACP. I've seen a couple of good deals on some older generations but don't know what the differences are.

Thanks in advance!!

Jeff

Yeah dont get me wrong the new design seems to have less recoil, and I like that you can change The backstrap for ergonomics but take a good look at that guiderod setup. It's a spring within a spring, connected to another spring. Oh and the new gen 4 sights are horrible. Worse even than the old three dot setup which atleast would glow in the dark.

Edited by JasonS

Yeah dont get me wrong the new design seems to have less recoil, and I like that you can change The backstrap for ergonomics but take a good look at that guiderod setup. It's a spring within a spring, connected to another spring. Oh and the new gen 4 sights are horrible. Worse even than the old three dot setup which atleast would glow in the dark.

Standard Glock sights haven't changed with the "generations". The plastic rear sight with the "U"-shaped white outline insert and the plastic front with the white dot has been standard since 1986.

If you've seen sights that "would glow in the dark", those are tritium night sights. Those are a $75 upgrade to the pistol, and not a fair comparison to the standard sights.

As far as the discussion over longevity of the new recoil springs: They should actually last longer. Since the load is spread out over several springs, no one single spring should be getting beaten very hard. This does remain to be seen, but my G-27 is still on its original spring set and I have shot the bejeezus out of it with pretty hot ammo.

I have one friend who is also a state firearms instructor and he has been carrying the same Gen1 G21 forever. There are no telling how many rounds have been through it. He prefers the slick grip on the Gen1. Of course, he has a hand the size of a baseball mitt.

• 1 month later...

Gen 1-3 is better because of the abundant parts that are available. You can find more parts for Gen 1-3 because they are the older models.Gen 1-3 is better for competition shooters. Gen 4 is going to be hard to find parts for since it is so new.

While I agree with the above to a point, I'm not sure it really matters. The OP is trying to figure out which Gen Glock to get, so (logical leap here) they are probably not a master class shooter (yet). I point that out only to say that a bunch of aftermarket stuff will have only have marginal usefulness. So my recommendation is to get whichever Glock suits your fancy. Most of the top line aftermarket parts dealers are getting Gen 4 stuff now and will continue to expand their offerings as the OP's familiarity with Glocks grows...

Also, the big changes on 21's are grip size (from the 'old' G21 to the "SF" version) and then the finger grooves. There are also a few SF's floating around with full size picatinny rails on them (as opposed to the normal glock rail), but I think only a few.

Edited by toddje

Long thread short, Get a Gen3 or a Gen3 SF depending on your hand size. Shoot the Bejebus out of it for a summer and then decide to keep it or sell it for something else. I had to do with with 4 guns. I went HK USP 45, CZ SPO1, Glock Gen3 17, Glock Gen4 17. Now I'm pretty happy because I've had enough experience to what I like and why.

I really like my Gen3 SF with the ambi mag catch. I heard that some were having trouble with the catch but I can't imagine why. The more I shoot it the more I like it! I don't have the biggest hands and the SF is pretty close to the grip circumference of a 1911. So Nice!

I have one friend who is also a state firearms instructor and he has been carrying the same Gen1 G21 forever. There are no telling how many rounds have been through it. He prefers the slick grip on the Gen1. Of course, he has a hand the size of a baseball mitt.

I believe that would be a Gen2, as far as I know, the only gen1 guns were the Glock 17, and verrrrry few Glock 19's that are pretty rare these days.

The gen 1 glock 21 is really a 2nd gen glock, no finger grooves but checkered front and back. 2nd gen is made on the 3 gen style finger grooves ans rail. Had both like the 3 gen model. I had stovepiping from time to time with the 1st/2ed gen not with the 3 gen finger groove rail model. :roflol: I am confused just typing this. :cheers: