Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Solutions 1911 .22LR Conversion

I just picked up a Tactical Solutions 2211 .22LR conversion for my 1911 yesterday. I wanted to share my findings with the unit. I got the Picatiny Iron sight combo unit with standard(un-threaded barrel). It has a nice replace-able front sight and a god adjustable rear sight(rear sight is an STI branded unit)First I had to do some minor fitting of the unit to properly mate to my STI Spartan frame. Tactical solutions states that it may require some minor fitting due to so many variations between manufacturers. I had to use some light lapping compound between the units slide and my frame. After about an hour of hand moving the slide back and forth it was slick and smooth. I also had to open up the slide stop removal notch on the units slide to easily get the slide stop out. That was all it needed. I mounted an Aimpoint red dot(tube style) 3000 on it and headed to the range. I tested accuracy and feeding extensively. I used all the different ammo I had on hand, some of which is quite old, some new. As far as feeding went, for the most part it feed flawlessly. I would load 10 rounds and fire it as fast as I could to see if it would jam. The only problem was a consistant jam after the first shot with CCI Mini-Mags and Federal Auto Match. If you only load 9 rounds in the mag it was flawless. I attribute this to grit that I found caked in the mag after I finished up my shooting. Now the accuracy; I shot 5 shot groups (except for Win. Wild Cat group was 6 shot) at 20 yds off a bench with a rest and sandbags. I will note that when doing this you should load a round and remove the mag on each shot. When the mag is seated correctly there is some upward play in it. When you depress the mag upwards past this play while resting on the bench it will foul up the feeding of the next round. When firing off hand it is not an issue. So here are my results:

Federal Champion 36gr. plated HP (525 ct. Bulk Box) 1.700" (No attached Target)

Federal Auto Match 40gr. Solid (325ct. Bulk Box) .872" (See attached Target)

CCI Mini-Mags Plated Solids (old Bulk Box) .667" (See attached Target)

CCI Blazer 40gr. Solids .798" (See attached Target)

Winchester Wild Cat 40gr. Solids(old white box) .700" (See attached Target)

Hansen Target Std. Vel. 40 gr. Solids(Discontinued) 1.308" (No attached Target)

Please Note: Standard velocity ammo will not reliably function in this unit, units main spring is designed for High velocity ammo to fully cycle the slide!!!!

I am very pleased with this unit, Sub 1" accuracy (in spite of what human error I surely had today) with most 40 gr. ammo, reliable, and fun to shoot with the feel of my 1911. Not to mention this unit has a steel slide and superb fit and craftmanship so it will last to boot. The best shooting purchase I've made in a while when considering it worked WITHOUT the usual return trip for replacement or repair that most stuff requires these days. I wanted to give props about this because Tactical Solutions does it right!!!!!!!

Edited by BallisticianX

Thank you Soundwave, I'm a particular person whom is not happy with anything short of perfect. I get very frustrated these days with anything I buy because it is never right. It almost always requires a warranty return to make the item live up to the manufacturers claims. I really felt I had to do a review on this solely because everything I was told by Tac. Solutions over the phone was honest and backed up by the units performance. Another nice thing is Tac. Solutions offers a free service of fitting there products to your intended gun if you have issues with fitment. Also there products are lifetime warrantied and the unit is so neatly made I can see why they do. I'm very happy I went with this one versus the Marvel. Tactical Solutions says there unit will also do sub 1" groups at 50yds as the Marvel unit 1 will. They just dont have the time to test fire each one to send a proof target.

****UPDATE***** The problem I experienced with the magazine for this unit jamming up while stripping off the second round in a fully loaded magazine (10 rds.) is fixed. Upon dis-assembly of the mag I found gum and grit inside of which I removed but this was not the soul culprit. There are three witness slots milled into the side of the mag for viewing round count. There were some burrs on the inside from this milling process rubbing onto the follower. Especially the lowest one, the one the follower will duck just below when loaded to 10 rounds. After removing these burrs, giving a general polishing to the mag body, and a light coat of teflon dry lube the problem is gone. It will now flawlessly run with a fully loaded mag. I removed the Aimpoint and returned it to it's home atop my MK II. I sighted it in with the supplied irons and had a great day of picking off 12 Ga. Shotgun shells at 15 yds. with ease. I like the front blade on this unit, very easy to see for my horrible eyes. So I will now wait until the Burris Speed Dot I ordered for it arrives to ready it for both Bullseye and steel work. (If you have any experience with the Burris Speed Dot please post it on my topic about it in the technical accessories forum)

I have 4 of the STI polymer 2011 mags that I use in my TacSol conversion and they work great. They are easier to clean than the TacSol metal mags. I took the plug out of the mag and can load 16 rounds confortably.

It should. I'm using mine on an STI Spartan, of which the Frame is made by Armscor. Armscor I believe makes Rock Island Arms. The Unit may require some fitting of it to your frame, though nothing major. The only compatability problem is if your using an extended ejector. It will interfere with the units ejector. If it's a stock ejector you should be fine. If you want to be totally sure give Tactical Solutions a call. They are very friendly folks that will answer the phone when you call!!!!!!!!

Nice review. My buddy and I ordered them, he ordered in October and I in December, He just got his friday and I am expecting mine sometime this week according to TacSol. He didn't read the instructions and put it on his 9mm Eagle and broke the ejector already (bull in a china shop).

His Eagle has a full length dust cover and the .22 upper doesn't extend all the way to the end of the frame of the gun. It appears as if the slide is actually like 1/4" shorter than the 5" dust cover.

I don't have a full length dust cover so i won't have that problem.

For the reviewer(sorry forgot your "name" when i started typing this): what caliber did you put your conversion on, 45, 40, 9mm. Just curious. How long did you wait for yours.

TacSol, said there would be a wait and his expected delivery date of mid January and was pushed back almost 3 months, He kept calling them and getting a new date that they couldn't make. he spoke with them at shot show and they gave him this date and made it. mine is pretty much on time from the initial time frame of mid Feb, early March.

I will update as soon as mine arrives. I will have to look at midway and others for there mags. when we bought they where 100 bucks a pop for the 2011 framed mags. really big ouch

For single stack, the Ciener mags work well and hold 15. The Tactical Solution ss mags look great, does anyone know how many they hold? I use the Tactical Solution double stack mags. I wonder why they made the bodies so short. I would have made them 140mm. It's tough to use them with the Dawson Ice. Every time I am shooting with the TS ds mags I have to wonder, why does my .40 hold 20 and the little .22 can only fit 14.

ss+P, I mounted mine on a .45Acp STI Spartan frame. They will work on any 1911A1 government configuration as as well as an STI 2011 frame, with there respective magazine. It will not mount on a gun with an extended ejector installed on it's frame. This is because the unit's ejector will hit the frames ejector before the unit lines up with the slide stop pin hole. As far as there mags, they are available and currently in stock from midwayUSA, Single stack mag is $59.99 and STI wide body mag is $69.99. My unit was purchased from a Gun Shop in my area that is a dealer for Tacsol, they had the units available in there shop. I looked at MidwayUSA to buy the unit and they were out of stock, two days after I bought it from the gun shop they were back in stock, as of right now there out of stock again!!! These units are in high demand and most of the product line from TacSol is also very desirable amongst shooters. They are a small company with about thirty employee's so they are limited on there production, but it is worth the wait.

Also the mag capacity is advertised as 10 round for both styles. I will tell you that my Single Stack mag will hold 14, but is sketchy with it's reliability when you load over ten.

Edited by BallisticianX

I have the Marvel, Jarvis and Tactical Solutions 22conversion units. The TS unit is not as accurate as the Marvel and functions reliably with a wider selection of ammo than the Jarvis unit. I have found that the Kimber plastic magazines function well with all three units. The Ciener 15 round mags function well with my Marvel unit and SV ammo.

Thats good to know, I was curious if someone elses mags work with the TacSol. There mags are well made and function great but break the bank!!!! I was going to try a kimber mag but hated like hell to spend the money on it to not work. I will have to order one now, I'll put it through its paces. Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

The Marvel units come with a machined aluminum mag loader. It simply attaches to the button on the side of the mag and you depress the mag spring with it and drop the rounds in the mag. There are several companies that make plastic 22 mag loaders that slip over the mag and depress the spring when you push down on them. Check the Midway catalog, they had them in the past. The new Magulula loader will do the single stack mags.

Thats good to know, I was curious if someone elses mags work with the TacSol. There mags are well made and function great but break the bank!!!! I was going to try a kimber mag but hated like hell to spend the money on it to not work. I will have to order one now, I'll put it through its paces. Thanks

I run my tacsol upper on a Wilson Combat CQB frame. I have successfully run the Kimber mags also... $18 bucks each... Run great but don't lock the slide back or drop free from the pistol. I also have a GSG 1911-22. Their mags ran sweet with the tacsol upper conversion. + drop free and lock the slide back when emptied. $30 bucks when you can find them. Very happy with this unit.

If you run a mainspring any heavier than a 17 pounder, my experience would recommend drop to the 17!

OBTW... Great write up and info on what ammo put up the best groups!!! Thank you!!!

Jaxshooter, do the Marvel mag loaders work with the wide body 2011 type mags?

My experience is that it does not. The TacSol mags or the STI mags do not have the "thumb button" on the side that the Marvel mags do. The loader catches on that button and you pull the spring down that way.

I have a speed loader from my advantage arms conversion for my glock that I am going to mod to see if I can get it to work. The size is right, there are just some plastic ridges inside that I will need to dremel out.