Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What a difference a bend makes!

bbbean

I give new meaning to the word "terrible" when it comes to weak hand stages, and my strong hand shooting isn't much better. I generally consider it a success if I can keep weak handed shots on the paper at 10 yards, and strong handed shots on the paper at 15 yards.

Part of this is mental. I can tell a huge difference in results when I just treat weak hand stages as "another stage". But I still have major technique problems.

So I'm working through various grips, stances, and angles, and and my results are all over the place - literally. Then I make it a point to bend my elbow and suddenly I'm hitting the A zone. It takes forever and a mag change (single stack), but now I can run the plate rack weak handed. Bend my strong arm elbow and my string hand accuracy begins to approach my formal freestyle accuracy.

Wish I'd tried this sooner - I'd have a lot fewer mikes and have done a lot better on classifiers and major matches.

Is your elbow out or more oriented towards the ground? I've been playing with SHO/WHO as its a major problem for me as well and I've started using the bent elbow method so its more towards the ground than the side (Saul Kirsch style, and I think Manny like this technique as well). Seems to be working a little better thus far.

Theoretically, if you can shoot with your elbows tucked in and pointed to the ground you will have better support and better recoil control. This also seems to be the position most favored by bullseye shooters. Something about the way it brings the muscles of the chest into greater support of the arm. It also means that the arm must be as straight as possible with almost no bend at the elbow. During recoil the elbow bends allowing the gun to track in a straight line.

Is your elbow out or more oriented towards the ground? I've been playing with SHO/WHO as its a major problem for me as well and I've started using the bent elbow method so its more towards the ground than the side (Saul Kirsch style, and I think Manny like this technique as well). Seems to be working a little better thus far.

My elbow is pointed as close to the ground as I can comfortably get.

My strong/weak hand shooting really sucked once upon a time.

I was shooting next to Seeklander at Nationals one year. I thought I notice a rather strong aggressive stance with his strong/weak hand shooting. It has been awhile so I might not have really understood what I was seeing.

For strong hand, his strong hand leg was forward & bent, the arm looked fully extended, and I thought his chin was tucked next to his shoulder.

I notice when I replicate this, my shots are on the money. The chin next to the shoulder really seems to help me. I practice this technique a lot on 4 inch plates at 15-20 yards with my .22.

It could be this is what I have to do to compensate and the immense amount of practice makes it work for me. Additionally, I do not cant the gun nor do I aim at the lower corner of the A zone hoping it goes up. I do take Taran's advice and aim at the A zone edge on the side which is respective to the shooting hand. Best case is I hit towards the edge and worse case I push the round to the center.

We have a low key Action/IDPA type match nearby. I have been know to shoot the entire match either weak or strong hand. Since it is more of a fun match I really do not care about where I place but the experience of shooting stages under match conditions with either hand.

Did you have something constructive to add, or did you just feel like taking a free swipe?

I thought giving him two more threads to read might be, well, you know....helpful. There was no real need for discussion, and I was in a hurry. Sorry, but I spent a bunch of time writing out replies in the linked threads, and didn't see where repeating all of that would help...and it would skip over the valuable insight others (probably more qualified then me) provided. Yet another reason for my signature line :(

Did you have something constructive to add, or did you just feel like taking a free swipe?

I thought giving him two more threads to read might be, well, you know....helpful. There was no real need for discussion, and I was in a hurry. Sorry, but I spent a bunch of time writing out replies in the linked threads, and didn't see where repeating all of that would help...and it would skip over the valuable insight others (probably more qualified then me) provided. Yet another reason for my signature line :(

Well when did you get appointed to decide what needs discussing?

Well when did you get appointed to decide what needs discussing?

I guess that means your answer to my question is "no". So much for setting the example :(

I wasn't saying people shouldn't discuss the topic, I was saying there wasn't a need to discuss the links. Most folks are bright enough to realize the links pertain to the topic, and if they're interested, they can click on them.