Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro vs. XDM

STIGUY

Need to Purchase a Pistol for 3 Gun Matches and have a relatively limited budget and like the idea of not worrying about the 2011 safety. Which one is Better? Is the longer sight radius of the M&P Pro that much of an advantage? Would I be at a disadvantage with the XDM?

You are looking at half an inch difference in sight radius, which is not going to be deal breaker either way. My vote is for whichever you think feels better in your hand. If you are able to shoot both side by side, even better to help you pick.

Make sure you like guns with a grip safety before you decide on the XDm. I shot a borrowed XD in my first USPSA match and frequently failed to engage the grip safety. After that I remembered why I sold my 1911 long long ago.

The interchangeable backstraps on the XDm may or may not allow you to easily engage the grip safety.

Just a warning.

Trigger is better stock on the XDM. Both can be made awesome. Sight radius is a wash. My vote is for the XDM but either one will do you right. Whichever feels better to you.

Stock trigger on the XDM is much heavier than the Pro.

My vote is almost always to choose a larger gun, where legal.

After shooting both, I got the XDm. I shot better with the XDm than I did the pro. To mtnbiker's point, the interchangable back straps do not extend up to the grip safety. So they do not interfere with the grip safety function. I have the small grip installed and do not have any issues.

One thing to note. The m&p is much easier to change the back straps. I occasionally shoot with a couple that share shooting time with the m&p. You don't need a hammer and punch on the m&p like you do with the XDm.

Trigger is better stock on the XDM. Both can be made awesome. Sight radius is a wash. My vote is for the XDM but either one will do you right. Whichever feels better to you.

Stock trigger on the XDM is much heavier than the Pro.

My vote is almost always to choose a larger gun, where legal.

The pro I shot and the few Ive handled werent too impressive but I guess it could vary from batch to batch or something...