Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

placing 11th with 64% of the points

Mat Price

My match today went... ok at best I placed 11th in limted with 64%of total points. as a D shooter shooting where at least 50% of the shooter were A or better I think thats not bad. If i am looking at this right. seems like to me we all shot fairly close together today. I am lacking 20% of the points to place first?

Mat

My match today went... ok at best I placed 11th in limted with 64%of total points. as a D shooter shooting where at least 50% of the shooter were A or better I think thats not bad. If i am looking at this right. seems like to me we all shot fairly close together today. I am lacking 20% of the points to place first?

Mat

The top shooter at the match got 100%. In order to place first, you'd need an additional 36% of the total available points. Another way to look at it is that you since you scored 64, but need an additional 36, you'd need to shoot (36/64*100=X) 56.25% better than you did today to tie for first place.

Speaking from experience, though, trying to beat the winners isn't how you improve from D class. You improve from D class by working on fundamental skills, identifying your weak spots, and working towards consistency.

You will see a number of matches where the winner did not take first place in anything. They took 3rd or 4th for each stage though. Consistency will almost always win a match unless the winner was just consistently one place better than you all the way through. :D

Fundamentals are the bedrock of consistency. No one who places consistently is "spraying and praying," they're aiming at the A for every single shot, they're working their stage strategy, and they're staying mentally stable - the whole time. If you're blowing up, it means something is off with your fundamentals. The fun part is that "blowing up" takes on a new definition every time you get better.

Listen well, young padwan, to the advise above.

Consistency is the key. Fundamentals rule. Consistent application of the fundamentals will help you soar.

That up and down says you are likely shooting above your ability- you can get away with it once or twice, then reality crashes upon your head. Look at your scores and review the stages in your head again; if you had only down marginally worse on the good stages but significantly better on the bad stages, what would your overall have been? (pssst, lots better)

I was very enthusiastic when I started out. I looked to compare myself against others. I used it as an indicator. Then I realized how wrong this approach was when looking at the classifiers. If you shoot 70% of the stage winner, you might only be 40% in the system. I seen a lot of Master Class shooters who shoot A and B classifiers. Classifiers are an indicator but not much more than that because most matches are not set up like classifiers.

Work on your accuracy! This is fundamental. At this stage in your career, it is easy to get training scars. I started out as a C shooter not a D. I was quick enough and my scores were barely adequate but OH what training scars.

I spent years working with a bunch of GMs removing those scars. Focus on the fundamentals each and every match and training session and forget about how you place compared to others. i would bet you, in less than a year you will be at the top of the list.