Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting In limited with a para 16-40

seadevil10

ah ok thanks for clearing that up, someone just basically built the rock island into a low budget competition gun using the kings sights and what not. if it was you i figured you could point him in that direction to save a couple bucks.

-seadevil dont buy the LDA if you want it for limited thats the double action trigger. if thats what you want then go for it but if you were unsure then stick with the single action thats what most 1911s are. plus getting a trigger job will be harder on an LDA as not as many smiths do them.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few months ago I decided to replace my Glock G35 Limited gun with a steel framed 1911 or 2011 double stack. I ended up trading even for a used Canadian Para P16-40 Limited with a Dawson magwell and 4 factory magazines with Dawson base pads. I wrote a detailed account of my experiences getting the Para ready to race. You may find some of the information useful. I posted a link to the thread below.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=298470

Edited by wmspdi

I'm assuming the paras are all single action right? I'm hopping to find one at an upcoming gun show. What should I look for because I won't be able tot est fire it before I buy it if I can. Any advice is greatly appreciated because I don't really want to pick up a basket case that I can't fix without deep pockets. :cheers:

no they are not all single action the LDA is a double action only model, some have spurless hammers but some look normal. but the trigger tends to look like that of a beretta or a cz, hanging down from the frame. single action triggers look like they come out of the grip. sorry that might not be a great description but best i can think of. at a gun show look for the features you want like ambi safety, target sights.

Well, it helps if you know your way around a 1911, can analyze many of the problems and repair them yourself. That is what I did with the P16-40. :blush:

When I bought my first 1911 back in 1975 they were very loose, and wouldn't feed anything but hardball, so you learned how to make them run. Over the years manufactures made ramp/throat improvements to feed hollow points. The guns are also much tighter which has also resulted in some reliability issues out of the box. With skilled labor a major expense the factories have to either charge a small fortune to tune each gun or leave it to the new owner to "wear them in" to seat the parts with hundreds of rounds of ammo. I have a $400 Rock Island that has run from day one, but I have also seen $1500 1911s choke out of the box. There really is no way to know until you get it to the range.

Para has had some issues with quality control since they moved to the USA around 2004. I would look for a Canadian made Para without the PXT Power Extractor. The PXT extractor didn't work too bad on the 45, but has had a troubled track record on the 9s and 40s from what I have read. Also look for the older blued magazines for the P16 or P18. The newer chromed magazines tend to have a little rougher finish inside and may require some work to get the magazines spring and follower to slide smoothly. With a used Para you could be buying someone else problems, or you could find one like I did that runs well, and the owner just decided to move up to a custom 2011.

BTW- Someone describe the Para P16-40 as 90% of an STI at 50% percent the price. If you are able to take the Para the last 10% yourself for an additional 10% as I did it is a great deal. :cheers:

so tomorrow im going to look around at the local gun shops for a para 16 40 limited. So I wanted to know what I should look for in a gun and some tips on what to look out for so I can keep form buying a basket case that will cost me more than its worth. Most likely I will purchase one at the saxet gun show in a couple of months. So any advice on what to look for and beware of would help because the only 1911's ive used are my fathers and its been a while since ive handled one.

Also what should I look for as a good price yall think. at the gun show ill be able to haggle over the price with some people so I would like yo know what is reasonable and fair.

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it. :cheers:

If it is an older (Canadian built) P16-40 Limited I would say $600 to $700 based on condition, and any extras it may have as part of the package (magwell, sights, new internals, extra magazines). If the gun was "rebuilt" it could be a gem from a good pistol smith, or a hack job done by the owner so "Buyer Beware".

Chances are a used P16-40 Limited was originally purchased by someone to shoot in competition, not stick in a night stand. The chances of finding a safe queen may be slim. The good news is you maybe be able to get a used one for a good price since it is not a gun that appeals to the mass gun buying public or 1911 fans. I would avoid a new P16-40 based on reports of QC issues Para is having at this time.

If it was a race gun it could be a little loose, or may even need a new barrel, depending on have many round has been fired. Many people place too much importance on the slide-to-frame fit which only accounts for 5-8% of a 1911's accuracy. Check the barrel-to-the slide fit at the locking lugs, and also the barrel-to-bushing-to-slide fit. That is one of the keys to tight groups on a gun with slide mounted sights. If the gun has seen a lot of rounds you might have to fit a new oversized bushing to the barrel/slide to tighten it up again. If you get it for a good price any "gottchas" can be fixed by a good pistol smith. I would NOT send it into Para for repairs. Good luck.

If it is an older (Canadian built) P16-40 Limited I would say $600 to $700 based on condition, and any extras it may have as part of the package (magwell, sights, new internals, extra magazines). If the gun was "rebuilt" it could be a gem from a good pistol smith, or a hack job done by the owner so "Buyer Beware".

Chances are a used P16-40 Limited was originally purchased by someone to shoot in competition, not stick in a night stand. The chances of finding a safe queen may be slim. The good news is you maybe be able to get a used one for a good price since it is not a gun that appeals to the mass gun buying public or 1911 fans. I would avoid a new P16-40 based on reports of QC issues Para is having at this time.

If it was a race gun it could be a little loose, or may even need a new barrel, depending on have many round has been fired. Many people place too much importance on the slide-to-frame fit which only accounts for 5-8% of a 1911's accuracy. Check the barrel-to-the slide fit at the locking lugs, and also the barrel-to-bushing-to-slide fit. That is one of the keys to tight groups on a gun with slide mounted sights. If the gun has seen a lot of rounds you might have to fit a new oversized bushing to the barrel/slide to tighten it up again. If you get it for a good price any "gottchas" can be fixed by a good pistol smith. I would NOT send it into Para for repairs. Good luck.

+1

especially on not sending to para their prices are more than an average gunsmith, and i think their shop works like a high school shop class cause the skill semms limited, they dont hard fit or do custom work or use a match barrel but will charge you as if they were.

the barrel is something you need to look down if they let you take it a part as any gun and look for pitting and fouling. also check the breech face for bad wear and possible pitting. also do functions check to make sure all the safeties work properly.

Probably a stupid question but do any of yall happen to have an extra para 40 limited that you may be willing to sell. Im trying to explore all of my options because I have little faith in the gun show. alot of the people running the tables have no knowledge and overprice their stiff because it says limited and is shiny. Just thought I would ask if anyone knew of one that can be made availible with mags preferably for a decent fair price. thanks guys again for all the help. the support you have offered this new shooter will not soon be forgotten. :cheers:

The gun shows in a our area require that ALL guns have wire ties (zip ties) running through the barrel and out the ejection port while in the building "for safety". Also magazines are NOT allowed to be in the guns at any time. This means you can not function check the action with dummy loads or field strip the gun for inspection at the show. You can only do a visual on the exterior and maybe shine a light down the bore.

If this is the case where you are, and you find a used gun you are interested in, you might want to make arrangements to inspect the gun at another time and location. Vendors at gun shows are trying to move a much product as possible and can not spend alot of time with you at the show. However the dealer should not be in as big of a rush to move on to the next customer in his own store, you should be able to field strip the weapon and do a complete inspection. If you are serious about purchasing after your inspection, and if the dealer has a shooting range on site, ask to test fire it before purchase. Offer to buy the ammunition from him, and pay for the range time, and he shouldn't have a problem with your request. If you are unable to test fire the gun at least ask about his return policy, and make sure you get it in writing if you purchase the gun.

If you are unable to do 1911 repairs on your own, you might want to make an inquiry with local gunsmiths and find out who in your area works on the make/model of gun. Some local smiths may not know about, or even work on your gun. Shipping to a smith out of town is an option, but can be expensive as you must ship vis UPS or FedEx Next Day Air. I recently shipped a used Glock G35 Gen 3 Blue Label (I traded it even for my P16-40 Limited :D ) from Ohio to Florida via UPS Next Day Air with adult signature and insurance and it cost me $40.00 one way. Had I been shipping the gun out for repair the round trip shipping through an FFL with transfer fees could have cost $100 or more.

Everything else is "Buyer Beware".

Edited by wmspdi

Put a want to buy post on the classifieds on here and on uspsa.org website

Probably a stupid question but do any of yall happen to have an extra para 40 limited that you may be willing to sell. Im trying to explore all of my options because I have little faith in the gun show. alot of the people running the tables have no knowledge and overprice their stiff because it says limited and is shiny. Just thought I would ask if anyone knew of one that can be made availible with mags preferably for a decent fair price. thanks guys again for all the help. the support you have offered this new shooter will not soon be forgotten. :cheers:

Also check Glock Talk's classifieds. You'll find everything listed there (not just Glocks). Glock Talk is where I found my used P16-40 Limited last month. It took a few days of back and forth to work out a good trade deal on a G35. The P16-40s are not real common so it may take a little while to find the right one. Chances are it will belong to someone looking to move up to a STI, SVI or other custom race gun. Don't be put off by a slightly high asking price. The good news is there in not a lot of demand for the P16s so that gives you a bargaining edge. Stay the course and you will find what you are looking for.

Edited by wmspdi

SOLD PENDING FUNDS... somebody got a nice deal on that gun. The deals are out there, just keep looking.

Actually it is sold pending funds because I emailed the guy. Thank you so much fortyfiveshooter for sending me the link or I wouldnt have been able to jump on that auction so quick. :cheers:

ill post some pictures when i get it if i can find my cameras battery charger. its one of the old canadian models so i cant wait to start shooting it. all i need now is a belt mag holders and a holster an ammo an im ready to go.

Thanks to all who have replied and helped a new shooter start his career in limited. I hope to see yall at some matches this comming year.

Edited by seadevil10

Check out Comp-Tac for a regular kydex belt holster and single magazine holders. I like their holsters better than Blad-tech. The prices are good and build time is only 2 business days.

I use the same Comp-Tac belt holster for my 1911 9mm (IDPA ESP), TRP .45 (IDPA CDP and USPSA SS) and P16-40 Limited (USPSA Limited). I just change out the clip on Comp-Tac magazines pouches from single to double stack 1911 depending on the gun. I could use a dropped and offset race holster for Limited, but I like having the gun in the same holster position for each divison, so I don't try to reach for it in the wrong place. :blush:

If you want a DOH style race holster for Limited look at the CR Speed WSMII, Ghost and Double Alpha rigs.

http://www.comp-tac.com

Edited by wmspdi

Ill have to check it out i was looking at the cr speed holster but it was 170 dollars. I wonder if anyone has used it and has an opinion on it.

Ill make sure to post some pictures of the para when i get it. im gonna send him the check monday so i hope to have it by early next week.

Pinning or deactivating the grip safety is for those who have issues depressing it all the way preventing the gun from firing . I have mine deactivated in my P-16.

I also use the cr-speed wsm and love it. It works for my limited and open gun. But if your on a budget a blade-tech dropped and offset with work just as good.

The para came in today at noon. :D Benny looked over it and it was a bone stock gun so he is going to work on it should be done tomorrow around one. I cant wait to get this gun and shoot a match with it. hopefully ill be able to shoot one soon. but I will definitely be at the space city challenge. if any of you guy are gonna be there let me know.

ill post some pictures of the gun as soon as I can and maybe make a video or too when I get some time at the range at a match.

Thanks to all who have helped in my en devour. I hope to see yall at a match and im looking forward to shooting with yall

:cheers: