Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting In limited with a para 16-40

seadevil10

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No! I got an acceptional deal! The extra mags, base pads magwell and mag release add up to $400+ by themselves.

Richard

PS: soaringf22, the P14 I also shoot was built from a frame kit and required no slide lightening. Balances just right for me.

Edited by chirpy

the para extractor came out of all 3 of my paras, not a fan good idea poor execution on para's part. i was able to fit an ed brown without any problems that cost $30 and i did not need the sleeve to make it fit and has been reliable since.

you are in a great location for smiths, however I would advise against any to start unless you absolutely have to use one. you will spend at least $300 on parts and labor if you go to a smith and if you find a gun at $700 now youre talking over a grand to get rolling. that now defeats the purpose of your conservative method. once over a grand might as well hold out another $200 and find the occasional $1200 STI that come through the classifieds here. dont forget you still have to buy the mags and ammo which will add another $200 to your overall cost to shoot your first match assuming you have a belt holster and pouches.

not to get your hopes up but i doubt you will find the 16-40 for $500 i really think anything under $700 is a bargain especially if that comes with the mags.

forget what i said about the egw internals and koenig hammer, those are alterations you make to the gun as time goes on not worth the money when on a budget and time constraint. ammo is where you need to spend the most money not gizmos, the limited model comes with most everything you need to get on the range. if you dont get the limited you will end up paying more money to have new sight cuts milled, new bomar sights, ambi-safety, extended beavertail, memory grove grip safety, new front sight cut, new front sight post. to name a few its cheaper to buy the limited from the beginning.

so not to put too fine a point on it but what should I get with the limited model.

I was thinking the gun itself, maybe some extra mags if i need them with DP base pads, maybe a trigger job, and a DP mag well.

is that too much or what do you think.

Something else to consider, you are already shooting a Glock, why not go with a Glock 35 and shoot it in Limited

There is one already set up on here for sale

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123376&pid=1394081&st=0entry1394081

see I thought that when I started looking but a friend of mine said thats not the way to go, and he is a verry accomplished shooter so i took the advice.

idk why a glock would be a bad descision.

Something else to consider, you are already shooting a Glock, why not go with a Glock 35 and shoot it in Limited

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123376&pid=1394081&st=0entry1394081

see I thought that when I started looking but a friend of mine said thats not the way to go, and he is a verry accomplished shooter so i took the advice.

Seems to work just fine for Bob Vogel and Dave Sevigny

Jessie Abbate shot them in limited pretty good too

I don't shoot them very well because I am use to a 1911 grip angle, however I have never really tried to change and have only ever once shot one at a match.

Some people think that there is a weight advantage to the STI/SV guns and recoil control, I don't have that much experience with it.

It was a 34 and I made B with it in production but that was 2 years ago. I haven't shot much production just focusing on Limited and was able to make Master there using the Brazo's and the Anglin built gun.

I don't know that it was the guns, but I definetly shoot them better after getting set up and have the grips stippled and thinned out some.

I am sure that there are several shooters down there that you could try their guns out, see what you like.

Edited by fortyfiveshooter

I don't shoot them very very because I am use to a 1911 grip angle, however I have never really tried to change and have only ever once shot one at a match.

So people think that there is a weight advantage to the STI/SV guns and recoil control, I don't know not that experienced with it.

you have a point there.

I really like the 1911 style same as you but I had to start production with a glock cuz that what my father got for me to shoot. I like the Glock styling but I much prefer the good old 1911. in my opinion it is one of the most beautiful weapons ever produced.

that said when I graduate and make real money I may get a glockworx glock for limited.

but for my first limited gun i would like a 1911 style.

What modifications would be best in mind for starting out. as i said i was thinking of a trigger jog, DP ice magwell DP base pads and maybe FO sights.

I dont think the slide needs to needs lightened but the Slots in some guns look really nice. it depends on how heavy it is when i get it if ill want it lightened

I don't shoot them very very because I am use to a 1911 grip angle, however I have never really tried to change and have only ever once shot one at a match.

So people think that there is a weight advantage to the STI/SV guns and recoil control, I don't know not that experienced with it.

you have a point there.

I really like the 1911 style same as you but I had to start production with a glock cuz that what my father got for me to shoot. I like the Glock styling but I much prefer the good old 1911. in my opinion it is one of the most beautiful weapons ever produced.

that said when I graduate and make real money I may get a glockworx glock for limited.

What modifications would be best in mind for starting out. as i said i was thinking of a trigger jog, DP ice magwell DP base pads and maybe FO sights.

I dont think the slide needs to needs lightened but the Slots in some guns look really nice. it depends on how heavy it is when i get it if ill want it lightened

It is my understanding that the P16-40 Limited comes with FO sights so you really would only need the magwell, base pads, and trigger job (and even that may no be needed, after all you may get it and decide that you like the trigger as is)

you have a point there.

It is my understanding that the P16-40 Limited comes with FO sights so you really would only need the magwell, base pads, and trigger job (and even that may no be needed, after all you may get it and decide that you like the trigger as is)

this is true. I just remeber the factory glock triggers suck so I had benny put a 3.5 pound connector in and massage ( i think thats what they call it) it down to 3.25pds. i just hope the para doesm't require that much work.

Im just looking for what i need to start, I can save for the goodies later :)

what about having the gun lightend or spring changes?

thanks for the help :cheers:

If you find used it may have a trigger job but don't count on it, but yea the magwall and basepads are really big.

Fiber optic is a choice if you shot a glock well with black sights that shows its not a neccessity. I use it on only my limited gun but probably will change it just cause it can be misleading. Clear front sight can be false if you go by the fo instead of seeing a clear black sight blade. Don't worry about slide lightening if you decide you out grow the gun it'll be harder to sell a cut up slide. It just limits you selling to other uspsa shooters and maybe someone who just wants something different. Something that can also help is a mag button only if you already have a mag release that's drill and tapped though.

You can have a trigger job for cheap if you can do some tuning to a sear spring. Purchase a Ed Brown Hardcore,Clark custom split center leaf or a Infinty tri-glide sear spring and do some tuning to the center leg to get your trigger pull where you want it with the parts already in the gun.

you have a point there.

this is true. I just remeber the factory glock triggers suck so I had benny put a 3.5 pound connector in and massage ( i think thats what they call it) it down to 3.25pds. i just hope the para doesm't require that much work.

Im just looking for what i need to start, I can save for the goodies later :)

what about having the gun lightend or spring changes?

thanks for the help :cheers:

Find one and get it, then get some para mags, dawson base pads and a magwell

and go and shoot it.

You will want to have the trigger done, if you got the money get a Keonig hammer and EGW sear and have the series 80 stuff pulled out. After that then shoot it, don't get caught up in the slide stuff. If you really want to do it have some ball cuts ran down either side of the the top of the slide (if you look at Todd Jarrets guns when he was running them that is what he had done)

On my Anglin built gun he ran the ball cuts and flat topped the top of the slide and did the razor back look on it. It got the slide down to 13oz, same weight as the slide on my Brazos.

I run a 12pound spring and shoot 165gr or 170gr bullets

Para guns in my experience have come with very heavy springs. A lighter mainspring can speed lock up. A recoil spring can do as I explained with recoil control earlier. My SSP came with something like a 22lb spring which is very heavy. I like 16lbs on a single stack .45. Also too heavy a spring on a light load the gun won't cycle. Once I have a load set I like the lightest recoil spring possible that functions correctly. Too light of a spring can make the slide not strip the next round, or batter the frame as well as cycle too fast to eject the last round. The koenig is a light weight hammer which is less weight the slide has to over come while cycling, the disconnector or sear are just well made that it helps with a crisp trigger pull since they are the moving parts causing the trigger to actually drop the hammer. They are worth the money in time but as someone new to the gun you most likely won't notice the difference initially. They are not the only parts to go with but they have quite a reputation. That being said I have used ed brown internals, sti internals, or factory components. The factory parts can be made to work right where you don't have to dive right in with after market either. No part is completely drop in, not even the drop in competition trigger kit. Shoot lots of rounds as is and spend money as it comes on upgrades. Then you will also learn why you did those upgrades, whether you like them or not and learn for future builds.

Ok so here it is;

Para 16-40 limited

18 pound mainspring

15 pound recoil spring

DP ice magwell

DP basepads on para Mags

ed brown extractor (maybe AFTEC extractor)

Koenig hammer?

EGW sear?

I think all of this should cover it. I don't really intend to have a smith work on it at first Ill just have Mr. Hardy look at it at a local match, just to see if its in good comp condition. :D

Please feel free to edit my list or tell me if i shouldnt get something or have left something out on this list but i think that covers it as far as the guns concerned.

All the rest I have except mag holsters and a holster. I was gonna go with a ghost holster or CR speed but im not sure what mag holders are the best.

I really appreciate the help my friends and im sorry if i ask a question multiple times I just forget what I have posted.

any how thanks for all the help and pls feel free to post new ideas or comments or even Pm me. If any of yall are gonna be at the coastal bend shooters match at starry range on march thirteenth i belive let me know I would love to meet yall :cheers:

cr speed are what i use for mag pouches, i have a ghost and a cr speed, i love the cr speed i dont generally touch the ghost. and its the older cr speed not the wsm2. it is more affordable to boot. i use the same rig for open just have to lengthen my holster when i do. I know im nuts but i feel like the ghost holster doesnt secure the gun, but there are a million people who have and will continue to prove me wrong. you said you had a belt so make sure its 1.5 inche belt or else some model pouches and holsters wont fit.

What does the EGW sear do for performance as well as the Koenig hammer.

Is there a point to changing the mainspring and recoil spring as some people have suggested.

:sight:

The EGW sear will give you some what of a better,longer lasting trigger job. The Koenig hammer also will last longer and have faster lock time because it's lighter. Also the lighter mainspring will let the slide cycle easier and faster,not the hammer weight. :rolleyes: Different recoil springs will make the cycling of the gun feel different. I shoot a P-16 and I settled on a 12lb recoil spring and a 18lb mainspring,the sight practically line themselves up for me. As I suggested above,since money is tight I would just change the springs out instead of spending almost $100 on a hammer\sear that you really don't need right now unless they factory parts are unsafe to use. I would suggest the following list-

P-16 Limited

DP basepads+Ice magwell

12-14lb sprinco recoil spring

18lb mainspring

Tuned ED Brown or Infinity tri glide sear spring

Blade tech DOS Ice holster-just as fast as race holsters that are 2x $$

CR speed mag pouches

tons of ammo

If the pistol comes with a PXT that is not 100% then sleeve the extractor tunnel and get a standard extractor :cheers:

Edited by Roy Hess

I picked up a P16-40SX a few years ago and really like it for Limited.

I changed out the trigger group with a 5 piece Cylinder and Slide Drop-in trigger kit

Added a Dawson mag well along with Dawson mag extensions for 20 in the magazines. CR Speed belt and mag pouches and good to go. I did break the ejector off during a match once, replaced it and hadn't looked back. I never changed out the power extractor...it seems to work like a charm (don't fix what ain't broke). Lastly, I changed out the recoil spring to a 12 pounder...2 shot double taps are pretty darn close to each other on a target. So you can see, not many modifications...mainly the trigger group and recoil spring to get you going.

I switch out on occasion to my G35 for production, but can't shoot the G35 trigger as fast as I can the Para. But now onto Open so the Para stays in the safe.

You'll like the P16...hope it helps.

The only real problem I'm having is finding a gun. I'm hopeing there will be one at the gun show in march but we will see. Also having the money at the right time lol.

Parts are easy to get the gun is the hard part. :cheers:

Keep a eye on gunbroker for one. Good Luck in your search :cheers:

have you thought about .45? they are much more readily available so will be easier to find and more affordable because of it. you will lose a couple of rounds in the mag but ive said it in another topic before, i get 16 rounds plus one in the pipe. .40 can get as many as 20-22. so unless a stage is between 19-22 rounds you wont be at a disadvantage that much. if a stage is 30 rounds you both need 1 reload barring a few misses. being that stages are supposed to be single stack and revolver friendly (not always though) you should have a good spot to reload without any time taken up. even in open if a stage is 30 rounds and i have 30 in my mag i still reload on the move because i dont want to risk missing and having to reload then. just my two cents.

Did the p14 45 have a limited model. If I chose that option what would I need to do to the gun to get it in a competition ready condition?

:sight:

Same as the P-16 except the power extractor works great with the 45,yes there is a 45 limited model

Edited by Roy Hess

Check out gunbroker as mentioned for the guns but gunsamerica.com has a custom gun search where you may find a 14-45 that someone already put in the time and effort. Maybe the same for 16-40 but they generally bring more money.

Ps roy didn't you do a post on another website about a ria you built up? I seen one but it was a while ago. So I'm not sure if it was you or not.

Check out gunbroker as mentioned for the guns but gunsamerica.com has a custom gun search where you may find a 14-45 that someone already put in the time and effort. Maybe the same for 16-40 but they generally bring more money.

Ps roy didn't you do a post on another website about a ria you built up? I seen one but it was a while ago. So I'm not sure if it was you or not.

If you mean a Rock Island Armory then no,never had one. I'work on quite a bit of Paras and kimbers but no RIA.