Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems with powder die in SQD

I use a SDB to load 9mm and .40, I have no problem with 9mm and the machine operates smoothly, BUT with the .40 I see the powder funel gets stuck in the case on the upstroke after it has dispensed the powder and it requires a little bit of more force to get out and continue the process.

It ends up working fine and loads work, but it is junt anoying and exhausting everytime I have to push harder for the case to get unstuck from the funnel.

Has this happened to you?, what can I do?, I already took the funnel to a friend and polished the tip where it had marks from being stuck in the cases, but it quickly got marked again when I started loading.

I clean my brass with Lyman corn cob and Dillon Brass polish for about 2.5 hrs, I later roll size the .40´s. The problem I have described happens with both roll sized and non roll sized brass.

Thanks for help.

Are you "belling" the case mouth too much? The depth of the powder die needs to be set to give full travel on the powder charge bar and enough bell mouth to feed the bullet easily at station 3. If it is set too deep you may be trying to swage too far into the case.

Lee,

Nope I dont lube the cases, what I do is add dillon case polish to the corn cob for cleaning.

Phil,

How much belling is too much?, I have not looked into this but can re-calibrate the amount of belling. I guess the problem I described can come from too little belling so the funnel gets stuck when trying to get out, this is what you are suggesting correct?

This is a common problem, with many posts and topics here, though it's not easy to get relevant search hits (best bet, search on "funnel"). Here are some relevant threads...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7140

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8474

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=614

And of course the XL650 tips topic (nevermind the model; the problem is the same with all Dillon powder funnels.).

A little lube makes magic. Try some with Dillon lube or Hornady One Shot. Make sure some goes in the case mouths on at least some of the cases. I know the One Shot won't cause misfires and I don't think the Dillon lube will either. To make sure as an experiment use a loading block so you can be sure the lube gets inside the case. If it makes the system work better you've found the problem. If not look elsewhere. Not all cases are equal. You can run into "stinker lots" sometimes.

Eric, thanks excelent links. I have printed them all out and will give it a try tonight, I am sure one of the recommendations will get the problem fixed.

The only difference between everything I read and my problem is that I have not been using new brass but shot many times brass. Not a chance of getting new brass or once fired in Guatemala!!

Thanks

Mine sticks when it starts to get gunky. A ring of crud builds up on the belling/funnel thingy (technical term). When I notice things start to stick I just clean this off and give it a blast of One Shot (the case lube, not the gun lube) and away we go. Angle the spray so it doesn't shoot up into the funnel or powder will stick. If you are unsure of your marksmanship with the can, just spray some on your finger and wipe it on the funnel.

I bell just enough to make everything work and leave the bullet sitting upright on the case. Otherwise the case mouths will get work hardened much faster and will start to split much sooner than normal.

• 2 years later...
How much belling is too much?, I have not looked into this but can re-calibrate the amount of belling. I guess the problem I described can come from too little belling so the funnel gets stuck when trying to get out, this is what you are suggesting correct?

Different Lee, but hopefully, one with an answer you can use.

Any more belling than is absolutely necessary is too much. You're shooting for (pun intended) just enough to allow you to place a bullet on the case and have it stay there. When you have it right, visually, you can just barely see that there's any bell at all.

I had problems with the powder funnel sticking in some of my cases. I tried rubbing a very little bit of case lube on the powder funnel. That worked for no more than a few rounds. It also risked contaminating the powder. My next guess was that I was belling the cases too far. I reduced the bell to the point that it was hard to balance bullets on them for seating without any noticable reduction in sticking. Finally, I resorted to what we all hate to do. I read the manual. It mentioned that new brass sometimes sticks and recommended the brass be cleaned before use. As it happens, I've not loaded any of the brass that gave me problems, Starline .45, since finding Dillon's answer. I'm loading .44 magnums at the moment, this time with new, but cleaned Starline brass. So far, I have not experienced sticking problems.

Lee