Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Mods

dskinsler83

Ok guys I dunno how to put this other than the grip looks like all skate tape with thin grips no screws showing and the S&A mag well...I want that look for my 1911...can anyone tell me how they are doing that? Is it a special grip set or what? My 1911 is a PT-1911 but shoots so well I can't give it up just wanna make some upgrades

IMG_0421.JPG

The image is in the show me your limited/limited 10 guns in misc forum on like the 2nd or 3rd page

Go to that thread, find the exact post, right click and "copy link location" on the post # in the upper right, then paste it into a post here. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I just went all ugly with my STI and put skate tape on both faux wood grip panels. Feels great in hand. And I have at least another 2 years worth of grip tape left from the $5 sheet.

A small screwdriver poked through the tape easily and my screws went in no problem. Ugly but effective.

I do not put skate tape on the upper left grip. I like a smooth transition to the mag release. I just put the tape where it contacts my palm. Ugly but very effective.

WOW you paid $5.00, I went into a skate shop telling what I wanted to do and I walked out with a sheet of very aggressive and not so aggresive skate tape.

They thought it was cool that I was going to use it on my gun and would not take any money.

I am soooo old they laughed when I told them my first skateboard had metal wheels--maybe they felt sorry for me :roflol:

All the cool kids are doing it...

IMG_1094.jpg

Seriously though, skate tape over a smooth grip works/feels awesome, I went with Alumagrips but any smooth grips will work. The trick to having it come out clean-looking is to cover the grip panel with excess tape over the edges of the panel, then you scratch around the perimeter of the panel with the side of the round rod of a screwdriver, leaving a nice white line that is easy to cut with a blade, after you cut off the excess, go around it again once or twice to prevent peeling and voila, you're done.

I'm a former/grown-up skater and it turns out the same technique for gripping new skate decks now comes in handy on my guns... FYI, Jessup brand griptape is the best whether skateboarding or shooting.

Edited by ck1

Quick check: have Jessup on mine. I see you went all fancy and put non-black grip screws. Hex even!

Not really, screws came with the gun... Actually, gotta dig the un-fancy-ness of the skate-grips, won't win any beauty contests, but if anything out there works better I haven't found it.

Edited by ck1