Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you guys think about the Chiappa Rhino 40DS?

robot

I actually had the pleasure to hold one at my local store.

pros:

on the cool factor a perfect 10. Trigger pull was smooth.

cons:

sharp edges, a no go for conceal carry. Also the idead of having the detonation happen so close to the palm and specially shooting finger scares yourstruly.

Summary:

I think it is an aswer to a question no one is asking.

:cheers:

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bubber got it right; more parts that a swiss watch. Looks to be the perfect solution, to a nonexistent problem.Ive seen one very similar, but the under barrel was pointing backwards, probably a much better platform for anyone who really thinks that particular mechanism is the catz ass:)

Edited by Vic

I've shot one a couple month back, been available in Canada for over a year now I think. Didn't much care for it trigger as it was horrific, not sure if the newer productions are better or if the ones at shot show were tweaked for a better pull. Either way will definitely not be replacing my S&W with one anytime soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I handled one at my local gun store - my caulk gun has a better trigger!

I love it the description!! I tried one at a gun show and I felt the same way. I'll stay with my S&W and Colts thank you.

Steve

... Maku mozo!

while you handled one, you have not shot one.

While I heard that the first generation of them that were produced had horrid triggers, I personally own a newer 40DS with a high serial number, and I can assure you that the trigger is nice and smooth, with no stacking or grittiness present. I will soon be sending it to Chiappa to install a trigger upgrade to reduce its current 7-8 lb trigger pull to 3-4 lbs, which afterwards I plan to use in my first USPSA Revolver match.

I have shot around 400 rounds through it so far with no misfires, and I must say the lack of muzzle flip is incredible. Follow up shots are significantly easier to sight-in since the recoil is straight back instead of up. My Rhino's hexagonal cylinder already features factory chamfering by Chiappa, and they were nice to include 3 moon clips with the revolver as well. From what I understand, all Rhino's with serial number RH05833 and above will come with chamfered cylinders and a set of moon clips, but any older Rhino below that serial will have to get the cylinder chamfered by TK Custom to accept the moon clips.

Also thinking of switching out the cylinder for a 9mm one and using moon clips with that round chambering instead of 357/38SPCL.

I have a 5" Rhino,and I had the competition action installed,and I like the gun a lot. I've let several people try it out,and they were impressed with the accuracy,and the absence of recoil. I've had the cylinder cut for moonclips by TK,and the reloads are quick and easy. Very nice gun. The new 9mm,and 40 are supposed to come cut for moonclips,which Chiappa will be selling.

I've always wanted a 6 round revolver that fired .355 9mm bullets.

I'll be buying the 6" 9x21 and shooting mostly 9mm minor through it.

Having the option of shooting 9x21 at major (and possibly 9mm major) will be awesome!

Anyone know where I can get one?

At least here in Dallas TX, I've noticed that all the LGS have only the snubnose 200DS available, with the exception of one gun store in Garland where I luckily bought my 40DS.

If you are looking at buying the six inch 60DS, your best bet is at either a gun show or on gunbroker.com, as those are the only locations i've seen them available for purchase.

You will most likely not find any 9mm or 40S&W on the market as they have yet to quite reach US shores. I found out that the newest productions of the Chiappa Rhino sold in Italy feature the 357 Magnum and 9mm sold together as a combo with swappable cylinders & moon clips. The good news is that I called Chiappa headquarters in Dayton, OH and they were able confirm that they could import the 9mm cylinder part seperately from Italy.

Biggest thing to look out for when buying a Rhino is to check the serial number. Make sure you do not get one with a serial under RH01900, as all Rhinos made after came with a smooth factory upgraded trigger from Chiappa. Older generation models are also indicative by their iron sights.