Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

press check

rooster

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is everyone (most everyone) so DQ happy? The gun is safely pointed down range if he cracks one off that is clearly covered as a DQable offense. I'm a big supporter and teacher of the press check though I don't do it this way. I think most guns now have a full length guide rod anyway so it doesn't work.

What about CZ production guns that require pulling of the trigger to lower the hammer during the loading process? Same deal, probably not the safest thing possible to do on the planet but whats the big deal. Assuming all rules are being followed the gun is safely pointed down range, if he cracks one off then you get to call your coveted DQ.

Keep all this in the context that I also run with scissors.

+1 except, I am not a supporter or teacher of the press check. I feel it is a waist of time. I have not personnally witnessed somebody load and make ready, not perform a press check and have the gun go silent. I have seen many times a gun not fully go into battery and go click after a press check. I have also seen a couple go boom out of battery...ouch.

I get a real kick out of those that come up to the line and have like a dance routine to the load and make ready that often takes longer than the stage does to shoot. :goof:

the routine you speak of is used in almost every sport...golf, baseball, football, basketball free throws, bowling, trap and skeet shooting...just because you do it does not mean it is not helpful or beneficial to the shooter...and like many before me have said, if you haven't tried it, don't knock it..

Good grief. Reach under, grab the slide behind the muzzle, ease it back, let it fall forward. Putting something in the trigger guard after LAMR seems to be a safety issue to me, no matter what the context.

+1 That's what I said. I unloaded once like that and my fingers fell in the slide holes, and burnt them... Dang Brazos!

Carlosa, I did not say it was silly. I said I get a kick out of the ones who take a long time at the line doing it. You know at load and make ready they fix their hat, wiggle the pistol belt, remove and replace every magazine, wiggle their feet, shake their head, play wth their safety glasses, grab the earmuffs, count targets, reach for the pistol a couple of times, check each mag for ammo, wiggle the pistol belt again, finaly draw the pistol to load it, insert mag, drop mag, re insert mag, load chamber, press check (sometimes twice), holster pistol, Then they start the process allllll over again right up to the draw pistol part. Then they finaly respond they are ready. Sometimes this has me so amused I forget to push the button on the timer until they look at me to see whats up......oops. :devil:

Tightloop, I know what you are saying, but most of the sports you mention the playes do it in private or very quickly compared to what I am refering to. The couple of guys I am talking about get groans from the peanut gallery every time they come to the line. Besides, I wasn't knocking it, as I said I get a kick out of it. I do most of my mental prep before called to the line, if a shooter waits till then, well they waited too long. I have a routine at the line also, but it is not a long drawn out affair.

Good grief. Reach under, grab the slide behind the muzzle, ease it back, let it fall forward. Putting something in the trigger guard after LAMR seems to be a safety issue to me, no matter what the context.

i agree, there are safer ways of doing it.

Edited by Torogi