Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MP 22 pistol

eric4069

As soon as anyone gets to try the MP22 pistol I'd be interested in a report. Apparently shown at the SHOT show, as pictured on Gunblast and listed at Buds Guns as waiting list. This is the one that looks like an MP pistol, not the one like a shortened MP-15.

eric

Haven't seen one in person but the word is it's a walther p22 dressed up like and M&P. That's Bad! the little p22 is a major glitch machine. check out some of the other major gun forums for a report on it. Seems Smith had a chance to sell a ton of these M&P22's if they had been done as a M&P chambered in .22 rather than a redressed Walther. I hope I'm wrong but friends who were at SHOT gave me their opinion after looking at it.Ed

Haven't seen one in person but the word is it's a walther p22 dressed up like and M&P. That's Bad! the little p22 is a major glitch machine. check out some of the other major gun forums for a report on it. Seems Smith had a chance to sell a ton of these M&P22's if they had been done as a M&P chambered in .22 rather than a redressed Walther. I hope I'm wrong but friends who were at SHOT gave me their opinion after looking at it.Ed

I'm not sure about the Walther p22 dress up. I held one at SHOT and it felt identical to the regular M&P it was just chambered in 22.

ninemmbill,

Is it a steel slide or aluminum? Does the weight feel the same? I am on a waiting list to get one. I am turning into a training pistol for this shooting season. Ive only gotten to see one in pics. I REALLY hope its not a POS....

Nate

It is an aluminum slide. It felt a little lighter than a standard M&P, but not by much. Fully loaded there would be an obvious difference. It is however the same overall dimensions has the same controls as the 9 /40 / 45 pistol. Mags will hold 12 or 10 rounds.

It is indeed built by Walther for S&W, but it is a totally different pistol than the P22 that Walther currently makes. I think it would a great training aid.

• 2 weeks later...

The P22 is known to run ok with CCI Mini-mag ammo...if the M&P22 has to use premium 22 ammo because it doesn't run well with the cheap bulk pack stuff, I'd have to pass. Why shoot a 22LR when you can reload 9mm lead for almost the same price?

The P22 is known to run ok with CCI Mini-mag ammo...if the M&P22 has to use premium 22 ammo because it doesn't run well with the cheap bulk pack stuff, I'd have to pass. Why shoot a 22LR when you can reload 9mm lead for almost the same price?

Crap ammo is Crap ammo....no matter what .22 you run it in. Some guns may be a little more tolerant, but its still crap. I see you compared the Mini Mags to lead reloads, but compard to Jacketed they (Mini Mags) are much less expensive. I won't use led anylonger in any of my pistols.

I do use the crap ammo from time to time, and even in my P22. funny thing is sometimes it works ok, sometimes it doesn't. Even in my Ruger's it does not run good.

Lets not knock the M&P22 until its on the range showing its stuff. I bet it will be a great practice gun for low cost training for the big bore M&P's.

Funny thing about the crap ammo is that when I was a youngster I do not remember anysuch thing. We bought pretty much anything on sale and it ran and ran. I still have some of the same .22 autos I had back than. Some of todays ammo wont run in them. Unfortunatly it seems this type of ammo is market driven (everyone expects it to be very inexpensive, right) and manufacturers must cut quality steps in order to get to a pricepoint thats competitive, and the result is ......Crap ammo. Gun manufacturers have a "tough row to hoe" with todays ammo, and customers are very critical on the guns but not the ammo.

• 1 month later...

im really interested in this gun as well. searching the web and someone posted that they called S&W and they said early to mid April delivery, but the initial order was only 2500 units. again, that straight off the web, so take it with a grain of salt. I love the m&p 40, so this would be really nice! only downside i see is no interchangeable back straps

http://www.smith-wes...playErrorView_Y

Edited by addicted