Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why YOU don't shoot Heavy Metal?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped shooting it (two or so years ago?) because the rules from match to match were too different. I didn't feel like changing pistols, shotguns, pistol loads and slug loads from match to match.

Even though now the rules are a tad more uniform the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. All it takes is for new MD's/leadership to come on board and reinvent the whole thing again.

...and I guess I don't like shooting the 3-gun equivalent of revolver division, where there's like 0-1 shooters in a local match and maybe 4-8 shooters at a major match.

I just shot a multi gun match in USPSA Heavy Metal Tactical division for the first time, I had been shooting Tac Optics prior.

It was FUN! Shooting the .308 rifle with the 20rd mags actually forced some recoil control and some RELOADS, which was an interesting and enjoyable change from the point and click shooting and bottomless mags on the 5.56 guns.

USPSA creating the "Tactical" heavy metal division is what allowed me to switch, I already had the equipment that I actually use, A .40 pistol and an auto 12ga. If I went out and bought a pump action 12ga and a .45 pistol, they would sit and collect dust as I have no use for them other than gaming. I hunt with an auto shotgun and carry 9/40 pistols, as do most folks out there, so it opens up the division to a lot more folks IMO. If USPSA dumps the HM Tactical div, I will just go back to shooting Tac Optics like everyone else.

my $0.02

Edited by hjustein

I shoot HM purely from preference. My aging eyes are forcing me to figure out the best way to scope my M1A,but I simply prefer .308 rifle over .223. I also like the smaller division size. I have no particular preference for one style shotgun over the other.SMM3G allows auto shotguns in HM-Scoped division,BTW. Pumps are limited to HM-Iron.

The first year i shot 3 gun, (2003), i shot open. the RM3G match either had a HM division that year or the next. the next year, 2004, i shot HM. primarily because i carried an M14 for 16 years and thought it would be fun to compete with my M1A. i already had the rifle, Remington 870 and 1911 .45acp. I shot HM until 3 years ago when my eyes gave up the ability to see the open sights. if i could still see the sights, i would shoot HM iron sights. i think iron sights are faster on close up targets. i shoot HM scope or Heavy Tactical scope these days. i am just old and wearing out. i still think the main draw for me to shoot HM was the fun of it. (I am old, slow and miss alot, so winning ain't gonna happen.) DESUM CUNCTOR.

:cheers:

The first year i shot 3 gun, (2003), i shot open. the RM3G match either had a HM division that year or the next. the next year, 2004, i shot HM. primarily because i carried an M14 for 16 years and thought it would be fun to compete with my M1A. i already had the rifle, Remington 870 and 1911 .45acp. I shot HM until 3 years ago when my eyes gave up the ability to see the open sights. if i could still see the sights, i would shoot HM iron sights. i think iron sights are faster on close up targets. i shoot HM scope or Heavy Tactical scope these days. i am just old and wearing out. i still think the main draw for me to shoot HM was the fun of it. (I am old, slow and miss alot, so winning ain't gonna happen.) DESUM CUNCTOR.

:cheers:

Plus you just don't get the target response when you smack steel with a 5.56 like you

do with a 7.62. It's hard to get that grin off your face shooting HM. :goof:

Craig