Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo dealer on forum

gerritm

• 2 weeks later...

Henning is pretty much a one man show and he is doing TONS of design work all the time for parts and stuff for our guns (pretty much the only one also). Yes, sometimes he is hard to get a hold of but he is always doing the best he can. Yes, sometimes it may get frustrating trying to reach him but I weigh it out this way. Any potential delay I may incur in trying to communicate with him is well worth it considering the tireless effort he is putting in trying to create custom stuff for us. :cheers:

and yes, shoot him an e-mail, that is usually the best way to reach him, believe it or not.

Edited by Glk21C

I just copied the email address from his webpage onto my email address form and sent it off. So far nothing has been bounced back yet - although that did happen the first time. So I think it should be in his inbox. I'll give it a few more days before exploring other avenues.

I too sent him an email yesterday morning, and tried calling once again, but nothing as of yet. I hate it because I'd like to shoot my new Match this weekend but wanted the new recoil and hammer springs to get here before I do so. 30-40 rounds ought not hurt it, I guess.

BTW, yesterday I was given the name of a gunsmith, Rich, at Canyon Creek guns. Another alternative I thought I'd share but I've not spoken to him nor have I previously done business with him. Just passing on info.

Edited by gcp

I visited him in his shop last week where he was very helpful with my new Witness Ltd and very gracious of his time. Both his email and his office phone are on his web site and he returned a call and text from me before I dropped by.

He's very busy, while I was there he received several phone calls and messages.

Edited by duct tape

I don't do facebook, and there are reasons for that. Can't believe that phone or email no longer suffice but that's what happens when you get long on the tooth :roflol:

Look, I don't know Henning and I am sure he's a great guy. I am also sure that a shooter of his caliber that designs and produces Tanfoglio parts, which make our guns function better, is a real asset to have among us. But as a potential client/customer I need to know that he's there for me when I need him. That's called customer service and since I don't live in Colorado I can't just drop by to ask my questions and pick up his products. I'd love to be able to do that but I can't. So, I must depend on a returned phone call or email and when I don't get it, after multiple attemts, how can that be possitive for either of us? I'd like to support forum gunsmiths but they have to meet me half way......

Heading to shoot my new pistol in a few hours, I'll report back on how it functions, stock.

I'm thinking that maybe he's away on a holiday or something and being a one person business that puts a "hold" on things. While I would have liked to have gotten a response by now I'm not in a desperate rush - just looking for some parts. But as a courtesy to his customers if he is going to be out of the office for extended periods it would be nice to get an "Out of Office" auto response - just a thought.

Edited by Fergus

Well folks, I shot my Match yesterday and it's a better shooter, in stock form, than I expected. No FTFs, no FTEs and it tosses brass 10-12 feet to my right and back (distance is actually not a problem to me because I shoot at my property). But I did notice one anomaly, with an open slide on empty, when I insert a loaded mag with a snap, or if I hit the pistol with my palm, the slide will close by itself loading the pistol unintentionally. Also, do any of you have the 10mm stock ratings of the hammer, recoil, trigger, firing pin, and sear springs? Nealio, here's your chance to stand up and be counted or else you'll force me to start hounding Henning again :D Seriously, I'd like to have all the stock specs of this pistol before initiating possible mods.

Tanfoglio12yards.jpg

Tanfoglio25yards.jpg

Edited by gcp

Wolff Springs has the information you need about spring ratings: http://www.gunsprings.com/mID19/dID100

Not to take away business from Henning, but if are desperate to get springs you can get them from Wolff directly. What you will be missing out on though, is the chance to talk to Henning, and tell him what you are trying to achieve, and his sage advise on what combination of springs to get to where you want to go.

As far as I know there is only one weight for the trigger spring, and one for the sear spring. People doing trigger jobs do some "tuning" on those springs the same way 1911 fans do "tuning" on their extractors: by doing some bending until it feels right. I DO NOT recommend doing any of these "tuning" unless you really know what you are doing.

I don't know why you would need the stock ratings for all those springs, but I dont know what any if them atte for any if my guns. If you are looking to reduce the trigger pull, all you need to know is what springs to put in it. The trigger and sear spring don't need to be changed.

If you get the extra long firing pin and the reduced power hammer spring that reduces the pull weight a lot. My Limited pull is very light.

As far as the "auto slide closing", I have several guns that do that so I don't know if that is a feature or a problem.

Why do I need to know? It's the engineer in me I guess. Besides, it's one thing to hypothesize and guesstimate from what we read on the net and it's quite another to have the facts from those that design and build what they build, for a reason. Enough philosophizing, which reduced hammer spring do you recommend? BTW, that's the reason Henning's key to all this as he sells the extra long firing pin and the other needed springs, wanted to buy everything from him, and implement his knowledge and experience. We've come full circle :cheers:

Edited by gcp

Skydiver, I appreciate the hammer/firing spring info! I think I'll allow things to sattle first by shooting a few hundred rounds through it before I potentially replace the recoil and hammer springs. Right now I don't feel I have to do much of anything to this pistol, it shoots great. But I still believe that by further tunning I can potentially negate long term ill effects.

Edited by gcp

They do shoot great out of the box, and if you are running factory ammo you'll probably be fine on the recoil spring. If you shoot any 10mm that's loaded hot (how it should be), then you'll need to get that Sprinco guide rod and a stiffer spring.

I shot my reloads, as indicated on each target. @ 12.5gr to 13.5gr they may not have been what Nealio would call hot loads but they where indeed accurate, and a pleasure to shoot.

Thanks a lot guys for all your helpful recommendations. I am having a custom holster built locally, I'll post pics when it's done.