Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

when do you need to replace parts?

sdm74

I will be going into my third season with my XDm. (Actually more like 2.5)

How long till I need to think about replacing certain parts?

So far I have only had to replace striker retainer pin.

What is barrel life expectancy etc.

Thanks

steve

my xd9 tactical has 30,000 plus rds through it original barrel and all. just replace the spring every 10 to 15,000 rds and keep it clean and youl be fine.

I would change the recoil spring every 5K or at least before a big match if you don't change it regularly. Also change out the striker spring at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've noticed an increase in the amount of light strikes I've had in the last 2-3 months using both Winchester and CCI primers. Is it safe to say that it might be time to put in a new striker spring? I've got about 4K rounds through it and I bought it used. I got a major match coming up and want to be running at 100%.

My XD has well over 25k through it and when I ordered a trigger kit it came with one heavy and one light striker spring. I put the heavy one in about 10k rounds ago and have never looked back. :-) I use mainly federal and CCI primers and have no problems with either.

The only things I have had issues with is the striker spring guide is made of plastic and I have had one of them crack on me. Springfield sent me a new one with just a phone call. I then ordered an aluminum striker guide, replaced it and kept the new plastic one as a spare. I chipped the locking lug on the barrel at about 22k rounds, called Springfield, shipped it off and had it back in 10 days with a new barrel. They said they tested all of the springs, and the rifling in the old barrel, and they were well within tolerance.

I've noticed an increase in the amount of light strikes I've had in the last 2-3 months using both Winchester and CCI primers. Is it safe to say that it might be time to put in a new striker spring? I've got about 4K rounds through it and I bought it used. I got a major match coming up and want to be running at 100%.

that seems to be a common issue...I put in an extra power striker spring after mine decided to puke on me at Area 6...keep that channel clean and dry as well

springs are cheap....I replace once a year (about 8-10k rounds)

So last night I put in the Wolff extra power striker spring. While shooting the OH Sectional today, stages 1-3 went fine. On stage 4 (the classifier of course) I had light strikes on back to back rounds. The next 5 stages went fine, and on the last stage I had 3 light strikes!!! Does this sound like a batch of bad primers (CCI) or something mechanical with the gun (ie-springs, dirt stuck somewhere, etc.)?

What weight recoil spring are you using?

Did this happen after a reload?

The extra power firing pin spring is trying to push the slide back, if your recoil spring doesn't have enough force to keep the slide closed you will get "light strikes". "Light strikes" is the wrong term, what is happening is the firing pin safety block is stopping the FP from going all the way forward because you slide is "out of battery".

Rich

Edited by RIIID

I'm running the factory weight recoil spring, which for a 5in XD9 is 17lbs if I'm not mistaken. Suggesting that I replace the recoil spring?

Rich is probably right about the extra power striker spring pushing the gun out of battery. To me the factory recoil spring is way too heavy. I couldn’t imagine trying to pull the slide back on anything heavier than the 18lb factory spring.

I would go back to the factory springs for starts and then try Federal primers; they are softer, and that may cure the problem. I too had a problem with light primer strikes with my XD Tactical and XD service model. Also make sure that you are seating the primers deep enough. High primers will also cause light primer strikes.

Lighter recoil springs are a personal preference. I like the feel of the 14lb spring that is in my XD Tactical. There is less muzzle flip with the 14lb spring and it seems to shoot flatter with the 125 and 124 grain bullets that I’m using. Some folks don’t like a lighter recoil spring because it feels more sluggish to them, or the way the sights track is not to their liking.

You can order a calibration pack from Wolf that includes a 14lb, 15lb and a 16, or 17lb spring. I recommend this route because you can experiment with different springs and decide which one you like. Keep in mind that the striker spring and recoil spring work against each other in a striker fired gun. With a lighter recoil spring, you may have to put in a lighter striker spring to keep the gun in battery. I kept the factory striker spring in my gun, and I haven’t had any problems.

It is also easier to pull the slide back with a lighter recoil spring which is nice for unloaded starts in practical shooting matches, clearing jams, etc.

Chris

I'm running the factory weight recoil spring, which for a 5in XD9 is 17lbs if I'm not mistaken. Suggesting that I replace the recoil spring?

Factory is 18#, pull your slide back about an inch and let it go. If it snaps back quickly your spring is fine, if it goes back sluggishly it needs to be replaced. Using a recoil spring lighter than 16# in an XD Tactical is flirting with reliability issues.

Rich