Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Iowa revolver shooter w/ Questions

EricE45

Hello All,

Please bear with me I am very new to the whole forum thing so I hope this makes sense.

I am a former USPSA “Limited” PARA P14-45 shooter and have been away from the competition thing for several years. I am hoping to get back into shooting this spring. Over the summer I purchased a Smith and Wesson 327 TRR8 and fell in love with revolver shooting.

I guess my question is three fold.

What kind of shooting can I do with this gun: USPSA, ICORE, and Steel? I am not into the IDPA thing so I won’t worry about that one.

If not this gun, which one? Smith 625?

My last question would be for the Iowa crew. Are there enough places that are revolver friendly in central Iowa to justify spending the money on new equipment; Belt, holster and moon clip holder?

Thanks,

Eric

Eric, your gun would be great for the steel matches held at the Ankeny Ikes in the summer, and the Big Dawgs steel match held each July at Lowell, Iowa. The past couple years, the Ames Ikes has also held weekly steel matches on Wednesday late afternoons--hopefully they will continue with those.

We don't have any ICORE shooting opportunities around this area.

You can shoot USPSA matches at Ankeny and Osceola, and some other clubs if you're willing to travel. (Things are pretty much shut down for the winter right now, though.) For USPSA shooting, you really need a 6-shot revolver that can comfortably make major power factor, like a 625 or 610.

Feel free to contact me at carmoney@aol.com for more details.

I only mention this because it is possible, but not generally suggested. You can use the S&W 327 TRR8 in USPSA shooting Production Division. You would not be restricted to only being able to fire 6 rounds before reloading, as you would if you used it in Revolver Division.

Personally if I had that revolver, I would try it out in production. Understand though I use a Ruger Alaskan loaded with .45 Colt In USPSA, IDPA, and the occasional Steel Challenge Match. This being my preference although I own S&W 625 that I could use. Believe it of not I am a competitive person, but I just take the road less traveled. :D

Do what you think is best for you, but I see no harm in trying out the TRR8 in production if you get the chance. :)

I also shoot the 8 shots in Limited 10. Since USPSA is supposed to be no more that 8 shots from one position it's not too bad.

And on some stages you have the L10 shooters jaws drop.

Enjoy!!

I wouldn't say this was a typical USPSA match for us--eight revolvers is a lot!--but we do have a pretty solid contingent of wheelgunners here in central Iowa. If the Tappe boys had shown up, we coulda just as easily broken into double digits--pretty good for a Tuesday night club match!

Local Match Result

September 21, 2010 ANKENY PRACTICAL SHOOTERS

Final results for Revolver

Place Name No. USPSA Class Division PF Lady Mil Law For Age Match Pts Match %

1 Sam C. 8 A51792 A Revolver Major No No No No 198.2053 100.00%

2 Mike C. 9 A23819 M Revolver Major No No No No 197.9654 99.88%

3 Matt D. 1 Pen U Revolver Major No No No No 159.4325 80.44%

4 Mike W. 12 U Revolver Major No No No No 129.9066 65.54%

5 Robert L. 4 A16841 C Revolver Major No No No No 126.0373 63.59%

6 Stacy N. 6 A68875 U Revolver Major No No No No 124.8268 62.98%

7 Brad W. 2 TY31876 C Revolver Major No No No No 109.4751 55.23%

8 Scott A. 13 A54718 C Revolver Major No No No No 107.2760 54.12%

P.S. Sam got lucky that night....

Edited by Carmoney

Thanks for the replies, I didn't know there was that much revolver shooting going on in Ankeny. I will have to check that out when things start back up in the spring. I also think recognize at lest one name on the list as someone I shot with in Oceola. I have been looking for an excuse to invest in a new revolver and shooting a six shot for USPSA may be the answer. BTW where is a good place to start looking for a 625? I have never shot a steel match before and will definately have to check out some of the matches. I never thought of shooting production or limited 10 with my 8 shot, something else to consider. Once again thanks for the replies.

I've been transplanted to Indiana now, but when I was a young revolver neophyte in Des Moines, I bought a Carmonized 625 from the man himself. He usually has a spare or 5 on hand. It's really nice to live in the same town as Carmoney, turnaround time on gun work is usually less than 24 hours & he'll do FFL transfers if you ply him with good Scotch. He likes Dalwhinnie.

Central Iowa Practical Shooters shoot at Winterset the first Sunday of every month. We have a revolver division with about 12-15+ shooters a month. Start shooting at 10am but you don't have be there at the start. Winter usually getting done by 3pm.

Let me know if you have any questions!

P.S. Sam got lucky that night....

Looks like he did pretty good at the match too! :cheers: Yay Sam!

I am jealous of Sam.. and impressed at the same time :devil: later rdd

Hello All,

Please bear with me I am very new to the whole forum thing so I hope this makes sense.

I am a former USPSA “Limited” PARA P14-45 shooter and have been away from the competition thing for several years. I am hoping to get back into shooting this spring. Over the summer I purchased a Smith and Wesson 327 TRR8 and fell in love with revolver shooting.

I guess my question is three fold.

What kind of shooting can I do with this gun: USPSA, ICORE, and Steel? I am not into the IDPA thing so I won’t worry about that one.

If not this gun, which one? Smith 625?

My last question would be for the Iowa crew. Are there enough places that are revolver friendly in central Iowa to justify spending the money on new equipment; Belt, holster and moon clip holder?

Thanks,

Eric

Eric Welcome to the Revo world or as No 343 calls it the "CULT" You can use that Revo in any of the diciplines you wish. Shoot in USPSA Revo, Just remember to stop at 6. In ICORE, if you are lucky enough to find a club near you, can be used as open or limited, and use all eight shots. Steel speaks for itself. I am experimenting with the 625 and major loads and I am getting whipped just as I was shooting L frame and minor thus far. Whatever you decide, Yank the trigger and go for it. later rdd

If I were a new Revo shooter near Des Moines I would hop in my car, meet up with Carmoney, buy him a steak and a cigar...and pick his brain.

I just might have to consider that one. I still have a few choice sticks in the humidor that need burned.

Central Iowa Practical Shooters shoot at Winterset the first Sunday of every month. We have a revolver division with about 12-15+ shooters a month. Start shooting at 10am but you don't have be there at the start. Winter usually getting done by 3pm.

Are you shooting through the winter?

We shoot thru the winter, next match is Feb 6. We will be shooting 2 stages.

We shoot thru the winter, next match is Feb 6. We will be shooting 2 stages.

Dude, you guys are hard core, but it sounds like fun.

I am definitely going to get in touch with Carmoney. The first thing I need to do is get some new equipment. All of the stuff I have is for my Limited gun. I need a new belt, holster and moon clip holder to start. I am pumped to give the revolver a try this year. It is nice to know there is so much support around to help a guy get started. I would love to have a 625 but I will need to save up some money to make that happen. Until then I may just have to learn to count to six.

Run what ya brung! The best thing to do is get out there & start shooting. If you get a North Mountain moonclip holder, it'll work with your 327 moons as well as the ones for the 625 you'll eventually get, as will any holsters for a 5" N frame.

Best thing about shootin revo is shootin with revo shooters!!! Everyone will help you out, at least from all my experiences at matches around the Country, best of luck to you and let me know if the 7th shot goes bang, we've all tried and to date none of us have gotten the bang, just the click!!!!

Run what ya brung! The best thing to do is get out there & start shooting. If you get a North Mountain moonclip holder, it'll work with your 327 moons as well as the ones for the 625 you'll eventually get, as will any holsters for a 5" N frame.

Excellent advice, thanks. I have decided on the four post North Mountain moon clip holder.

What would be a good starter holster for my 327 5”?

Thanks for all of the responses. The one thing I have really missed about being away from the shooting community is people you don’t even know offering to help out. I really can’t think of any other sport where this would happen.

Mike, be sure to let me know when the shooting will be starting back up. I can’t wait.

Thanks again.

Eric