Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM MAJOR with LONGSHOT - Why not ?

TBF

Anybody using and liking Longshot in 9MM MAJOR ?

Longshot seems to be the least favorite of the most likely to be appropriate powder selections for 9MM MAJOR.

I have not been keeping up on the major 9 learning curve and may have missed some important information that says Longshot sucks for this application ?

Velocity spread a bit too wide ?

Muzzle blast a bit too fierce ?

Accuracy issues ?

I will be investigating short OAL [Glock mag length] loads with approx. 115-125Gr jacketed [ NOT plated ]bullets - 147Gr data not needed .

Any information helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Travis F.

Travis,

I use longshot for 40 in my 40 open gun. I used it briefly for 9x23 this was before I sold my pistol. I never tried it for 9mm major. It has always been super flat shooting and very loud...which I like. I would consider another powder for 9mm major though. Hs6 or autocomp may be a great start.

There are some loads on the old spreadsheet where people have used longshot.

Robby

Yeah, HS6 and Autocomp seem to have alot of fans, and loads are right there.

But, I gotta do everything the hard way.

If all else fails I suppose I could break down and add a couple more jugs to the collection.

I hear the Autocomp 8's are about half the size of most other 8LB jugs...

Maybe I just need a bigger house?

Thanks!

Travis F.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, HS6 and Autocomp seem to have alot of fans, and loads are right there.

But, I gotta do everything the hard way.

If all else fails I suppose I could break down and add a couple more jugs to the collection.

I hear the Autocomp 8's are about half the size of most other 8LB jugs...

Maybe I just need a bigger house?

Thanks!

Travis F.

I currently make Major with 7.9/8.0gr LS under a 124 MT Gold and Win pistol primers, OAL 1.170.

5" barrel with Bedell comp, no snot holes. Be cautious and work up your own load slowly.

You'll have to chrono every lot of powder, my last powder lot made Major with only 7.3gr. :ph34r: Be careful.

Other than that, Longshot feels great.

The only complaints I have heard from those who have used longshot is the noise and the fact that the case is pretty full so you need to load a little slower.

Give it a try and report back :D

Actually it's not that bad, it fills the case about 2/3, plenty room to stick a bullet in it and it's hard to spill. Not nearly as bad as a Major load with n350.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have used it during the powder scare and it was what I could find. It worked but was loud and was not like other powders that you could keep pushing and getting more speed. It goes up then peaks and then story's coming back down so it's a fine window where you get the max out of it and it looses velocity. That windo is usually just above major PF like 166-167 of for me. It was ok and I used it for locals but I wouldn't trust it for a major match