Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun ideas for my wife

Erik S.

I'll just mention this one more time, CZ Shadow with 11# recoil. 2 of my Daughters and the Wife have no trouble racking the slide and they love the gun. Don't be afraid to let her try one. Beyond that they can hit with it since the trigger pull is very nice. Mine happens to be a Angus Custom, racks like butter.

Erik,

Just to clarify, the trigger on the M&P is more like a two stage trigger than a double action trigger. There is significant take-up and then the trigger engages the final stage. I believe the Pro series advertise a 4.5 lb trigger, this is much less than a traditional double action. The trigger on the M&P is similar to that of a glock, or an XD (although an XD is a true single action tigger).

Years ago I had bought my wife a Glock 19, but after firing my full size XD (with a Springer trigger job)she now wants something different. She finds that the corners of the Glock grip are too angular and feel uncomfortable to her when compared to the XD grip which is more rounded. She doesn't care for the narrow grip of my 1911 single stack. At the moment I too am considering a 5" M&P Pro in 9mm for her.

Still contemplating the STI Spartan or XD Julie Golob (thanks for your suggestions on those!). She has already mastered the Colt Woodsman Match Target .22LR. I'm a big proponent of starting on .22 here, but she's ready for something for comps.

My wife is 5'5" and is about average size. (Not implying ANYTHING!) I started her with a Ruger .22 and she came to adopt my Browning HP and she likes the BHP better than the P226, XDm, or USP...

Her commandeering my HP did free me up to buy another. :D

Don't worry about "implying" :D My wife is 5'6" and 125lbs. The info on the BHP is good to know, thanks for the input. I don't think I would have ever considered one of those. I like the slide lock control since that is a big point of weakness for her with small hands (locking the slide back without a magazine). How do you like the minimal beavertail and hammer hanging out vs. that on a 1911?

You know, after reading all the posts about ladies that couldn't rack the slide on a gun I took my xd9 tac in and asked my wife to pull the slike back on it. No go. When she shot with me she was shooting an open gun with a slide racker on it. She just told me that "that's the reason she has a revolver as a carry gun". If we're going to keep the ladies shooting with us we need to have someone make a slide racker that fits in the dovetail where the rear sight is. On that slide racker the rear sight is formed. Question is would it fly in production class?

You know, after reading all the posts about ladies that couldn't rack the slide on a gun I took my xd9 tac in and asked my wife to pull the slike back on it. No go. When she shot with me she was shooting an open gun with a slide racker on it. She just told me that "that's the reason she has a revolver as a carry gun". If we're going to keep the ladies shooting with us we need to have someone make a slide racker that fits in the dovetail where the rear sight is. On that slide racker the rear sight is formed. Question is would it fly in production class?

I guess it would depend on how many companies adopted it. My wife can rack the slide of my Trojan .45 with a 14# recoil spring pretty well but it's not the recoil spring that gives her grief, it's the initial resistance of the slide cocking the hammer that's hard to overcome. After she worked on the "push pull" technique a little bit, she can do it every time now. I think a 9mm (a full sized one nonetheless) would be nice since it's not that hard to rack the slide. Also, the built in "hammer spring" or firing pin spring is nice too so the slide doesnt have to roll over the hammer.

Production Division...Divide guns by Division, Classifier shooters by shooting Classifiers, is the way I remember it. :)

My guess is they wouldn't approve a racker/sight combo as it could be seen as a competitive advantage. R,

My wifley wife is also small, first gun we ended up with was a Browning Hi-power. And she shoots it well. Oddly though what really captured her attention was a Glock 26! I'm thinking, that's too small! It has worked out much better than I ever thought. It fits her well, she is accurate with it and it's a good carry gun for her. I was certain that the short sight radius would be a problem. Showed me what I know about anything! She just beats the heck out of the targets with it.

+1 on the Glock 34 model, I also have a compact 27 model she likes it but is hard to rack it back, the new Gen. 4 Glocks are not bad with the inner changable back straps I wouldnt mind getting also + 1 for the M&P9 I like the trigger pull on it better then the Glock I must say... but I do love my Glocks! good luck...

Dude, Just take her to the biggest gun shop you can drive to and have HER look and pick up the guns! This way SHE can see if the gun is comfortable to hold. This way SHE can pick it out. This way SHE will find the gun SHE likes most that SHE will shoot because SHE can handle it and SHE likes its looks. Do you see the theme here with the capitol letters? I say this because I did it the oposite way and now have a S&W 356 TSW sitting in the safe that she wont use. Good luck.

Dude, Just take her to the biggest gun shop you can drive to and have HER look and pick up the guns! This way SHE can see if the gun is comfortable to hold. This way SHE can pick it out. This way SHE will find the gun SHE likes most that SHE will shoot because SHE can handle it and SHE likes its looks. Do you see the theme here with the capitol letters? I say this because I did it the oposite way and now have a S&W 356 TSW sitting in the safe that she wont use. Good luck.

A man after my own heart!

Just wanted to have a few to "suggest" from under the counter since she is NOT the decisive type but will say when she does or doesn't like something. Sometimes I have to get the ball rolling then she'll take it from there.

A nice single stack 1911 in 45 and if you reload, you can down load some 175's or 200's with an 11 or 12 # recoil spring. There is a ton of load data out there and even on this site. Find some nice steel loads and she is good to go .

If she wants to shoot competition you can load up some 250's at around 700 FPS and make major with a nice soft shooting load. If you get the gun set up right people will accuse you of cheating...right up till the time you hit a chrono stage :)

You know, a Singlestack can be shot with 10 rounds of MINOR 9mm. The weight of the gun makes the 9x19 supersweet to handle and you can get very slim grips to fit your wife's hands.

Have you considered Open? Recoil is not bad at all, she won't have to worry about making reloads all the time AND she can even start with MINOR loads if that's more comfy. May be a little far fetched but still an option. There are a few small framed ladies in USPSA who shoot Open "quite well".