Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some more expierenced advice G34 Springs and Reloads

dtsdave

I have been shooting glocks for years and have had a 34 for 2 years. I started reloading about a year ago and justs started shooting USPSA local club matches.

1st snafu, I swapped out the connector and striker spring before a match and had 1 in three rounds fail to ignite using wolf primers. I went back to the stock striker spring and the wolf primers were OK. I chalked that up to the primers. I will revist that later.

2nd snafu, I have been using MG 147 Grain TMJ with WST and Titegroup. I loaded up around 200 rounds with 3.4 Grains of Titegroup at 1.140 for a match. 1st stage went great. Really slow time but i had more points than anybody in my division. 2nd stage jam-o-matic. Rounds not feeding into barrel. Went through all 4 mags on stage with same result. Basically useless. All rounds went through a case guage. Went to safe table between stages and took apart gun. Scraped some crap off of the feed ramp and went to try again. 3rd stage 1 jam but went pretty clean.

I came home an gave the gun a good cleaning and found nothing wrong. I went to the range today and ran 120 round of the 147's along with 150 rounds of 124's with both Titegrouop and WST with the reduced power striker spring and only had 1 primer not ignite. I had 100 rounds made of the 124's with Winchester and Federal Match Primers. I also had no feed problems. Normally at the range I take may time shooting. I loaded my mags full this time and ran them as fast or faster than I normally would in a Match since I am very slow.

I am baffled. Could it be possible that my gun was just dirty? Why did the wolf primers fire so much better later when they were useless the night of the match.

The only differenc is that it was pretty cold for Florida when I shot the matches. Probably 20-30 Degrees colder.

Help

1st Snafu - A reduced power striker spring with the stock striker is a recipe for at least occasional light strikes with most kinds of primers. You can get away with it if you use federals. Either use the stock striker spring, or get yourself a lightened striker.

2nd Snafu - Glocks are usually VERY resistant to malf from the gun being dirty. My feed ramp stays coated with a layer of black crap constantly, and my gun runs 100%. My first suspect would be the ammo. Have you chrono'd both loads? Are they both making PF? I load mine at 1.135" OAL with no trouble. I wouldn't think 1.14 would be a problem, but I've never loaded that long. I'm sure some of the Gloxperts will chime in with some better suggestions on this one.

I thought the same about the primers then at the range it worked fine. That one mystifies me more than anything. I have not chronographed the ammo and I should. It is weird none of the ranges near me are chrony friendly. I have actually never seen anyone using one in the 20 years I have been shooting. Also strange is that the same ammo made at the same time ran like a champ at the range.

Will the recoil spring recommended help the cycle since the loads are light compared to factory ammunition?

About the primers - I would guess you had better luck at the range because the striker channel was cleaner, but running a reduced power spring with a stock striker isn't a setup that's reliable enough for competition. There are probably 10 threads on this in the glock forum, all of which lead to this conclusion. You'll get hit and miss results, but you'll have better luck either using teh reduced power spring with a lightened striker, or using the standard spring with the stock striker.

About the recoil spring - if your loads are too light to cycle the gun, going to a lighter recoil spring will help. However, you might want to chrono them anyway. Loads that make minor power factor will generally run with a stock recoil spring in 9mm. If yours are giving your problems, they may not be quite up to PF. That wont cause you problems at local matches, but if you want to play fair and especially if you want to shoot any bigger matches, you'll want to be sure your loads are making at least 125pf.

Here's some light reading about striker springs(or firing pin springs as glock calls them):

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=118250

That was some pretty good reading. It seems I am not the only one with failures only in a match. Like one of the posters mentioned in the other thread I have 1911's as well so I chase a percieved trigger feeling. I really am not sure if it helps me but I am sure I think it would if it ran. Funny right?

If my reloads are under PF, and they may be, it would explain the feed issue but why did 250 rounds sweep right through at the range.

Here's some light reading about striker springs(or firing pin springs as glock calls them):

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=118250

That was some pretty good reading. It seems I am not the only one with failures only in a match. Like one of the posters mentioned in the other thread I have 1911's as well so I chase a percieved trigger feeling. I really am not sure if it helps me but I am sure I think it would if it ran. Funny right?

If my reloads are under PF, and they may be, it would explain the feed issue but why did 250 rounds sweep right through at the range.

In a match you're often not quite as behind the gun (solid position) as when you're just standing there at the range blasting away. Also, temps will cause differences in velocity, so the colder night may have just been enough to cause a problem. That's not super likely, but possible. R,

Use Federal primers when using a reduced striker spring. I use them with 100% functionality.

Factory Winchester (WWB) will have a light primer strike about 1 out of every 125-150.

I also run a 13lb recoil spring and have for years.

My typical reload is Montana Gold 124gr JHP over N320.

I clean my Glock probably twice a year. I don't recommend this but why mess with something that works fine?

I have had 1 malfunction where a bullet turned completely upside down in a magazine (bullet facing floorplate). I am still boggled with that one.

When I used Wolf primers/mixed brass (seated very firmly with my Lee Classic Turret) with reduced power striker springs and a lightened striker in my Glock 34's I went through thousands with no issues at all.

Now that I load on a LNL, no matter how hard I try, I cannot get the Wolfies to seat well enough. I usually end up with 1 in 5 or so that won't light on the first strike. I will probably end up loading the last 3-4000 Wolf SPP I have with the Lee.

I have no problems with Federal, CCI or Winchester loaded on the LNL.

I agree with the above poster though. If you are going to run a reduced power striker spring, use a lightened striker. It's a momentum thing, like a bobbed hammer on a lightly sprung revolver that gives the primer more of a slap and aids in ignition.

As for the feeding issue, I'm not sure about the profile of the bullet, but make sure you're not seating too long for the magazine, make sure your mag springs are good and your mag tubes clean. I would also drop to a 13lb. ISMI recoil spring (captured or not doesn't matter). I usually end up with tons of black crap on my feed ramp and have no issues. I probably only clean every thousand rounds or so.

I would also detail strip the gun and make absolutely certain everything was put back right. Then start stock and add one thing at a time starting with the connector since it's the most involved part to add/take out.

I too load at 1.135 for my 34's and don't have a problem, so 1.140 is probably not too long, but try a bit shorter OAL. Just remember to adjust your load accordingly.

3.4gr of Titegroup should be plenty enough to cycle the gun with a factory spring, so I would try some factory ammo with your connector/springs and see it might be the bullet profile your gun doesn't like. I have read on here about some people having a feed issue with a Glock 34 and 147gr Montana Gold's.

My link

Here is one I found with a quick search

I have a 13# Spring and metal rod coming. I have a match tomorrow night and i will be useing MG 124 Grain JHP with 4.1 Grains of Titegroup at 1.130. We will see what happens. After what I put the gun through at the range it my be just me loosening up.

ok I just had a similar exp. with my 24. using a reduced striker spring and Winchester primers in 20 degree weather is a no go! until the gun warmed up i had 50% failure dropped in the stock striker and spring and no issues.

I have found with my 34 if I am @ 130-135 PF it wont run the the stock spring. I drop to a 15 lb spring and it runs 100%. HOWEVER my 34 is a 24 frame and lone wolf slide and barrel so the slide is just spec lighter. I have found i get a small amount of a lockup issue with anything less even using the reduced striker spring. What you may need to do is try a 13 lb spring and a 15 lb spring. If the 13 is not enough and you have positive lockup issues you can try the 15 and trim coil till it runs 100%.

Like all have said above stock striker and reduced power spring is a big no no with anything less than a Federal Primer....I did my trigger job and added the reduced power spring using Wolf SPP and got alot of practice clearing jams at my local match lol....either stay stock on both or get the JAGER striker which has a longer tip and take the factory power spring and clip off 2-3 curls and works like a charm!!!

I load using 4gr WSF powder with Wolf SPP and 147gr Precision bullets (black) and they shoot great and make power factor for minor...use ur barrel as a case gauge and that when u know ur ammo will load in ur gun for sure...I load my ammo as long as the mag allows and have no feeding issues...but Winchester powder is dirty and running two diff kinds of powder could cause accuracy problems I'm no expert but it has in my LR-308 before...JMTC cheers!

I guess I am lucky. I use a reduced power striker spring and the stock striker with no issues. Well over 40K rounds. Primers need to be 100% seated. Anything high will malfunction. I use CCI primers.

My gun runs dirty, dirty dirty. I shoot lead. 1K + rounds between any cleanings. It's caked up so bad on the feed ramp I have to use a wood stick to get the stuff off. No issues.

I do run a 15lb reduced recoil spring.

I got my new 13# recoil spring the other day with a steel captive guide rod. I put it in and went to the range. To me it seemed to print much higher with the steel rod and 13# spring. I found this to be strange so I switched back and was happier. I did not notice any real difference with the different spring.

Since my problems I have ran 500 or so rounds without a problem. I will not try the reduced striker spring without a new striker even though it worked at the range. I also had lots of jam clearing parctice at a match and did not like it very much.

My 34 does not seem to shoot the 147 grain MG cmj as well as the 124 grain JHP. I think I am going to stick with those. My 9mm 1911 loves the 147 grainers so i wil have a load for each gun.