Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fastest IDPA Holster

Brian Gonsalves

Vincent, most paddles I've seen (including my UM) has only one tab to secure it.  This makes the rig sway ep. if you have a loose fit at the waist.  With Comp-Tac's multi-locking paddle I take it this is more secure, close to a pancake-type holster? Thanks.

Humbug! I kicked all kind of 1911+Kydex ass with a G26 from a Dillon Master (leather pancake). Sub-second draws not a problem. You'll negate whatever you gain from a fast holster and soon as you drop a single -1 shot.

Chico, some Hellwegs are approved, some aren't.

Jeezus criminy Erik!  Don't give away the "secret weapon"!!!!!  If people start figuring out how ridiculously accurate the G26 is, soon everyone will have to have one...  After which the Gods of IDPA will find a reason as to why it's not "tactical" and make a rule to ban it.

Eric Warren

Have you ever tried a Kydex holster?  all of the folks I have timed are at least .1 faster with plastic.  Not to say yu cannot be fast with leather, but if you are .1 faster with plastic, wouldn't that give you .1 additional time to be sure you get your hits?

The Appendix "A" effective 05-02-01, in my little green book shows the Hellweg holsters on the approved list.

On the 09-02-02 updated Appendix "A" shows the Hellwegs on the Excluded list.

http://www.idpa.com/rulebook5-2-01/appendix_a/appendix_a.htm

(Edited by Chico1911 at 12:40 pm on Oct. 17, 2002)

The comp-tac locking paddle is very secure on the belt with both front and back tabs.  Most put the paddle inside the pants and then the tabs over the belt.  This helps keep the holster from moving or shifting.  I wear my gun belts snug so I'm not sure about how it performs with a loose belt/waistband.

Also the folks at comp-tac make versions for women.

(Edited by vincent at 1:41 pm on Oct. 17, 2002)

Try one of the various belt-slides available from many makers. I have a Don Hume JIT Slide for both my CZ 75B and my Springfield and both are plenty fast and secure. They are as light as kydex and they look better (IMHO) and they don't scratch the pistol. I'm waiting for another Hume holster for my Sig 239, except this'll be an H724, not a slide, gotta try something different. I tried plastic, don't care for it myself. But, YMMV etc.

just ran some sub second draws out of an Uncle Mikes kydex belt holster with my Para P16. to A zone.

speed just takes practice.... and a little relaxation

i can draw a gun from a safariland SLS holster faster that most people can a normal holster. it adds .2 seconds at the most...... SO, pick a holster and as long as there is no gun "drag" practice with it, in the same position every time. thats where your draw speed will come from, NOT from a slick holster.

At this point there is a Plethora of holsters available, uncle mikes, fobus, comp tac, blade tech (blade tech injection molded) galco, desantis, talon tactical, kytac, sidearmor... the list is a mile long, all are plastic, plastic is more durable than leather, and doesnt' grip the gun as bad/easily.

that all said, i hear kytac sooperhooper is supposed to be pretty slick.

IMO Kydex is faster than leather. I use kydex when shooting SSP or ESP with my Glock(s).  I shoot CDP with a blued Kimber and kydex was very harsh on the finish.  I switched to the Safariland 561 which is kydex lined with suede.  Still extremely fast.  Adjustable can't and retention.  

The wilson practical is leather lined kydex with suede on the inside.

Scooped in the front for faster barrel exit.

I got one for the Beretta before they discontinued it for Beretta. Gotta still be available for 1911.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/leather/practical.asp

I've never tried full kydex, cuz everyone I see use one is slowed by the snap in the molding as the holster shape releases the gun.

The wilson has adjustable tension, and the kydex inner means you can heat lamp it to loosen it even more.

SA

The Blade-Tech has adjustable tension screws so you can tighten or loosen the holster. FWIW I find the original Kydex BTs draw more smoothly than the new injection molded stuff. The portion of the holster that comes in from the sides into the trigger guard to help hold the gun in place is just gently curved and molded on the Kydex, but it's a square-edged "plug" on the injection molded jobbies which I do find kind of grabby. With the Kydex BT I've never felt that "snap" as the gun comes out.

There's no doubt in my mind that Kydex is not as durable as quality leather. I've broken one of the belt loops on a Kydex double mag pouch just by hooking it on a car seat while exiting the vehicle. In fairness I should mention this particular mag pouch had been worn every day for years when this happened. When I recently took my Blade-Tech Standard Belt Holster to Blade-Tech to have it remolded to accommodate a higher front sight, they pointed out to me the holster, though still perfectly serviceable, was broken in two places. They made me a new holster while I waited - which I greatly appreciated since the WA State IDPA Champs was, like, the next day. Lest you think I only got this level of service because I'm a gunwriter, I'm thorougly convinced that's not the case. Blade-Tech is known for bending over backwards to help their customers.

Mas Ayoob has pointed out that Kydex does not survive well the rigors of the day-long weapon retention classes he teaches. When I took Mas' WR class I intentionally went with a new, tight leather holster. After eight hours or so of fighting full power over the holstered gun, that puppy was NICELY broken in. Kydex by contrast just comes apart.

Having said that, I like Kydex. My daily carry holster and mag pouch are Kydex. But it's not as durable a material as quality cowhide, let alone horsehide which is damn near indestructible, if what you're talking about is long-term durability. If what you're talking about is not loosening as the holster wears over time, then Kydex is king.

Whether Kydex is really faster than leather is something I need to go out on the range and test out. I feel an article coming on. I will say that Kydex certainly **feels** faster. After running a Kydex holster for years, leather just feels, to me, incredibly slow, like it doesn't want to let go of the gun.

I have an excuse for the mods...

My Beretta Elites have a thicker slide than the normal beretta, and the damn things won't fit at first.

I have a 92 air pistol that's a little biger then the reg. gun. Jam that in there, put under a lamp for 3 hours, let it cool, presto.

The snick of the kydex releasing may contribute to the feeling of speed. On my cr speed, the snick of the release sure sounds fast...timer will tell.

SA