Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

corn cob and static

njl

I've been using corn cob from Grainger recently, and my only complaint with the stuff is the static. I keep it in 5G plastic buckets. When I pour it from the bucket to the tumbler, it's insane how much static there is. Large clumps of corn cob will gather and stick to the rim of the bucket, and the ones that drop loose fly around like they're self powered. The ones that get away are really making a mess of the garage floor.

I've been using cut up used dryer sheets in the tumbler. I even tried rubbing down the inside of the bucket with a new dryer sheet and then left it in there. I normally let the auto-flow feature on my tumbler drain out the media and pour it back into a 5G bucket of "used media".

Any of you have more effective tricks than dryer sheets?

I store mine in 5 gallon buckets as well. BUT I use a plastic coffee can to keep it in on the bench. I reuse the stuff in the can until it is used up then throw that away and refill it from the big bucket. There is still static but it is more managable in the smaller container.

It might be worth a try to rub the rim of the bucket with a dryer sheet (a new one).

I was having issues with static on my powder measure on my 550 and I taped a new dryer sheet around the outside of it and have never had an issue since.

If it does not work, you are only out a dryer sheet.