Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooters from NC or TN?

bounce2011

Hello,

I am a new shooter in the north east. We are looking to relocate to NC or TN. I am curious about regulations, ranges, matches etc. Also about the job market. I am a machinist with 26 years of expierience and have been searching around for job listings but I have been very dissapointed with what I have been seeing. I am currently employed so I have time to look and seek out a great position. I hope my expectations are not too high! We are sick of the LOOOONG winters!!

Thanks in advance for any information!

Hello,

I am a new shooter in the north east. We are looking to relocate to NC or TN. I am curious about regulations, ranges, matches etc. Also about the job market. I am a machinist with 26 years of expierience and have been searching around for job listings but I have been very dissapointed with what I have been seeing. I am currently employed so I have time to look and seek out a great position. I hope my expectations are not too high! We are sick of the LOOOONG winters!!

Thanks in advance for any information!

If you are looking for USPSA shooting, you can go to USPSA Club finder and select the state. You will see a list of clubs, and club contacts who can answer the specific questions about matches and ranges in the area. Once you narrow down the search for a new location, you can also search by zip code. That helps because areas like Charlotte NC are close to a state border & you may find several clubs in both NC & SC that are near your location. If your interest is IDPA, Cowboy Action, NRA, or other types of shooting, you can check those resources.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

USPSA Area 6 Director

Edited by LChico

look into Moyock NC, you have the Blackwater facitlity USPSA and steel, IDPA in the area , not too far from Raleigh clubs, cheap land, bout 1 hr commute to Norfolk and Portsmouth shipyards, go to indeed.com punch in Norfolk VA and machinist, I got five pages of want adds. The yards are screaming for machinists. The young kids dont wanna take a math class and the older ones are all retiring.

The Charlotte, NC area also has a strong shooting community. At the moment, I can a shoot a different club every Sat, and at least one Sun of the month, and thats just USPSA within a 45 minute drive.

We have indoor public ranges and most of the outdoor ranges are members only with memberships ranging from $60 to $300 a year. You do not have to be a member to shoot the USPSA/SASS/NRA/IDPA/Outlaw matches on those ranges.

Ammo and reloading supplies are bought on the open market or mail order, no government permission or FOID needed. Long arms are bought with a Instant Check on the phone at the gun dealer. Handguns require a purchase permit ($5 from local Sheriff, basically its a pre-screened background check) or a CCW license. The permit is generic, so if you get 3 permits from the Sheriff you can buy three handguns ... whatever you want. Sheriffs range from 3-day turn around to a 6-week turnaround depending on the Sheriff. About 50% of the Sheriff's will sign Class III paperwork.

CCW is a $100 One-day class and $95 background/processing fee at the Sheriff's office. Open Carry is legal, but they have this "to the terror of the public" clause so the first little scared old lady who calls 911 gets you in trouble.

The JOB MARKET... well it sucks. But you have a lot of machine and fabrication shops in the area along with all the NASCAR shops.

Knoxville TN is pretty shooter friendly. Oak Ridge has a very nice shooting facility with rifle out to 1000 yards, action pistol that shoots 5 matches a month (SASS, USPSA, USPSA 3-Gun, IDPA, and Steel Challenge). Also trap and skeet. $120/year for a family is not a bad deal.

There are other ranges around, a few indoor pistol ranges, a couple of police ranges that allow normal folks to use them. CCW is not uncommon here. Most reloading components are either bought at one decently stocked store, or at the gun shows (which happen about monthly).

The job market isn't great. Lots of manufacturing jobs have been hurt by the current economy, but there are some new employers coming in. I'd keep an eye on Oak Ridge National Lab, Y-12 NSC, and B&W Clinch River - all of them may have a need for machinists.

Good luck with wherever you choose. I'm a transplant from MN by way of FL, and I can't imagine living anywhere else.

I will second the comments regarding Knoxville, ORSA is a very good facility at a very reasonable cost. Tennessee gun laws are very gun owner friendly. CCW is relatively easy to get, and with instant background checks, if you see a handgun or long gun, you take it home with you. You do not have to apply for a gun purchase permit as NC requires. In addition, cost of living is relatively low in East TN.

I will second the comments regarding Knoxville, ORSA is a very good facility at a very reasonable cost. Tennessee gun laws are very gun owner friendly. CCW is relatively easy to get, and with instant background checks, if you see a handgun or long gun, you take it home with you. You do not have to apply for a gun purchase permit as NC requires. In addition, cost of living is relatively low in East TN.

Thanks for the info. We have very lenient gun laws here which makes thing alot simpler. We are tired of hard winters, constant snow fall and very short summer months. We prefer warm weather activities, I sold my Ranger because the season is so short! And catching bass thru the ice is is just not the same. The smallmouth keep getting knocked out hitting the ice as they try to jump!! LOL :P

There is a great club here that shoots all year, but a match at 5 degrees or less is not much fun! Maybe we are crazy, we both have jobs? But we would like a change! Finding jobs will be the deciding factor.

Oh yeah, I was kidding about the smallmouth!